Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

Mono?

DD(14) has been sick for 2 weeks with a cough, body aches, tired, and just plain out of it. (we thought at first it was allergies or a bad cold) I took her to the Dr & was told it was tonsilitis & her lymph nodes were really swollen. She was given anti biotics & we were told if she wasn't better in 2-3 days then it could be Mono. She didn't get better so we had blood work done. That was on Tues so I'm still waiting to get the results. There was no school on Mon & she missed it on Tues. She tried going to school yesterday but had to be picked up because she was so ill. Today she is home & she can barely get out of bed! I am trying to keep her hydrated and making her take the antibiotics with a small meal. Her appetite is not good & I'm so worried about her! She is more worried about missing school! I found out that Mono is going around the school so I'm assuming this is what she has.

So while I'm waiting for the blood test results I figured I'd ask here if anyone has had experience with Mono? How long does it last?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
DD(14) has been sick for 2 weeks with a cough, body aches, tired, and just plain out of it. (we thought at first it was allergies or a bad cold) I took her to the Dr & was told it was tonsilitis & her lymph nodes were really swollen. She was given anti biotics & we were told if she wasn't better in 2-3 days then it could be Mono. She didn't get better so we had blood work done. That was on Tues so I'm still waiting to get the results. There was no school on Mon & she missed it on Tues. She tried going to school yesterday but had to be picked up because she was so ill. Today she is home & she can barely get out of bed! I am trying to keep her hydrated and making her take the antibiotics with a small meal. Her appetite is not good & I'm so worried about her! She is more worried about missing school! I found out that Mono is going around the school so I'm assuming this is what she has.

So while I'm waiting for the blood test results I figured I'd ask here if anyone has had experience with Mono? How long does it last?
Call the doctor and tell them your concerns and ask for them to call the lab for the results. Sorry, but it does sound like Mono.

I had it in my junior year and was out 4 months, plus 1/2 days for a long time.

Can you have the teachers send home work and let them know that she will be working on it, it will be a very little at a time do to her illness. I was able to keep up with some work, but required a tutor as I started to feel better.

Mono SUCKS! Seriously. She will be very tired and don't worry if all she wants to do is sleep. PUSH LIQUIDS. PUSH LIQUIDS. Milkshakes, instant breakfast, a little juice, some ginger-ale, water, popsicles. They will help.

I think if they had them at the time, I would have done many of the Frappes that are available now.

If her throat is still really sore, go get some apple cider and warm it for her. Same with lemonade.

I hope she heals quicky!
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

My friend's son had mono. He was just feeling lousy for a long time - like six weeks. Once he was feeling better, he was not able to play contact sports until his spleen had gone back to normal size.

I hope your DD is feeling better, soon.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
OurMinnieFamily
Mouseketeer

I had it at 17. Was out of school 4 months. I never had a sore throat though just a very high fever. Because everything progress so quickly I had liver damage and spleen damage. Call the Dr for the results. And to be on the safe side don't share anything with her, spoons/folks etc.
OurMinnieFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyboat View Post
My friend's son had mono. He was just feeling lousy for a long time - like six weeks. Once he was feeling better, he was not able to play contact sports until his spleen had gone back to normal size.

I hope your DD is feeling better, soon.
Hum, I wonder if your friend is my sister, LOL. My nephew recently had mono and it was exactly as you described. About 6 weeks before he was even close to feeling a little better then he was told to take it easy (no sports, etc) until he was fully recovered.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

I had mono when I was in high school. (Seems like yesterday, but it was many years ago.) If I remember correctly, average is about 6 weeks. Took them forever to diagnose me though, so by the time they knew what it was, I was almost over it. I had been taking antibiotics anyway because they were afraid it was strep.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I had mono when i was about 16 or so. I was hospitalized for over a week. I had mono for over a month. It was pretty bad while i was in the hospital. I was out of it sleeping the whole time. I felt so sick, couldnt eat. Lived off jello the whole time.

On a positive note, I was thrilled to have lost a ton of weight!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Totally ruined my son's senior year last year. He was sick for a few weeks, antibiotics, then sick again. Second time, they did the test, which came back positive.

He forced himself back sooner than he should have, because he was on the varsity football team and was desperate to play (we didn't let him until the dr. approved it). Even when he was back, he wasn't "back". He'd come home from school, and just sleep. Couldn't get homework done -- was pretty much a mess through the holidays.

Hope it's not mono for her, and that she feels better soon.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

DD20 missed 3 weeks of her HS senior year. She pretty much slept most of that time, felt pretty awful. She had a job interview about 10 days into the time off from school, and she came home afterward and slept for 4 hrs. Poor thing.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

I got it my senior year of HS. I've never been so sick and miserable in my life. I got sick on Christmas day and didn't go back to school until early February. I couldn't eat or drink anything, threw up constantly, slept all the time, couldn't move...it was truly just awful. I was alone the first week or two, and by the time I got to the doctor I had jaundice and hives as well. I was so dehydrated they had to use the baby needle on my fingers to get enough blood to test. They said it was the worst case they had ever seen, and I'd be lucky if I didn't have any liver damage from it.

I really wouldn't wish this illness on anyone, it's pure misery.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Desnik

Oh biy this is so scary! It's worse than I thought! I had no idea mono was this bad. I'm so sorry for those who have had to go through this!

Right now the blood work isn't back yet. I'm going to call tomorrow & hopefully they will have the results.

I should mention that my DD has RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) and her immune system is compromised because of it. She deals with chronic pain and being sick with mono now on top of it is horrible! I'm so worried.

For those who had to be hospitalized, was it because of high fever or dehydration?

I'm going to email her teachers and ask for her school work.
Poor kid, this week is spirit week and this weekend is homecoming and she's going to miss it all.

Thank you all for the well wishes, info and advice!

Last edited by Desnik; 10-11-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
DoctorWhoGirl
Mouseketeer

Sorry your DD is sick. Did the Dr not do a rapid Mono test? My DS(6) had Mono this past May and missed about 2 weeks of school. He pushed himself a bit too hard and had a 2 day relapse (fever, super tired) but after that he was doing much better. Mono is different for everyone depending on age, general health etc, so try not too worry about it being really bad. For my DS, while it was not fun having a fever for two weeks, it really wasn't all that bad. Hope your DD feels better soon!

WDW Vacations:
Nov 2012 - POFQ
Oct/Nov 2013 - WL & MNSSHP
Dec 2014 - POR - MVMCP
DoctorWhoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
Desnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoGirl
Sorry your DD is sick. Did the Dr not do a rapid Mono test? My DS(6) had Mono this past May and missed about 2 weeks of school. He pushed himself a bit too hard and had a 2 day relapse (fever, super tired) but after that he was doing much better. Mono is different for everyone depending on age, general health etc, so try not too worry about it being really bad. For my DS, while it was not fun having a fever for two weeks, it really wasn't all that bad. Hope your DD feels better soon!
They just did the strep test at the office & it came out negative. They gave her antibiotics & diagnosed with tonsillitis but said if she wasn't feeling better in 3 days it was probably mono. When she didn't feel better after the 3 days they had her go for blood tests.

Thanks for the advice! I'm hopeful she will be feeling better sooner than the 6 weeks others have mentioned it takes!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
ZuZugal
DIS Veteran
There are many reasons to come to the dark side....

I feel your pain...well actually my daughter does!! She was diagnosed with mono last week. She is 17 and a senior in HS. It has been a roller coaster ride for sure.

We thought she had the flu. High fever, then chills. Awful sore throat. Body aches. Took her to the doctor. As soon as he saw her throat he thought strep. Rapid strep came back negative as did flu swab. His next thought was mono so they did a blood test. They called us w/i three hours of that test to confirm mono, so I would def call the dr office back to see if they have results.

Her homecoming was last week. She made the dance but that was about it. She is also in her last season of golf at school. Somehow she was able to not only play in but win her sectional tournament. The school nurse called and said she can be put on a "mono schedule" if need be. One day morning classes, next day only go to afternoon classes. DD is in honors classes though and said she cannot imagine missing that many classes consistently.

I think mono effect everyone differently. Give plenty of fluids, popsicles, pudding, shakes, etc. Pain meds if needed. Rest rest and more rest.

Ten oughta do it, don't you think?
You think we need one more?
You think we need one more.
All right, we'll get one more.

This is our daughter Dottie...and this is our other daughter, Dottie's sister.
ZuZugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
SnowWtch
DIS Veteran

Please contact the doctor to have them do a mono test ASAP. I had it the summer between my freshman and sophomore year. I got so sick I spent a week in the hospital and they told my mother not to expect me to come out. It's nothing to play with. It took me a year to get back to normal and it involved blood tests every other week till nothing was present. I had a fever so high I don't remember much except that dairy products were out. I had an IV when I was in the hospital and the only thing I could eat on my own was a little bread.
March 2009-La Quinta, June 6-7, 2009-POP, Oct 3-4, 2009-AKL, Dec 3-5, 2009-AKL, Dec 18-21, 2009-POR, May 28-30, 2010-La Quinta, Dec 2-5, 2010-POP, 2011-La Quinta, March 25-27, 2011, Hampton Inn, May 27-29, 2011, Sept 30-Oct 2, 2011-La Quinta, May 29-June 1, 2012-Renaissance Orlando Sea World, June 1-2, 2012- La Quinta, March 15-17, 2013 La Quinta
SnowWtch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: