Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
Klib624
Earning My Ears

Wilderness Lodge vs. Polynesian

We take our summer vacation each year to WDW. The first year we stayed at a Value Resort (Movies). The next year after learning how the whole week at WDW worked we decided to stay at moderate resort. We have been at POR for the past three years. This summer we enjoyed one of the newly remodeled Royal Rooms and it was nice. The only negative thing about POR is everything is so far away and spread out. Id rather leave alot of that walking for the parks!

In 2013 we want to change it up a little and enjoy the Deluxe resort and see if its really worth it. We are back and forth between WL and Poly. I need feedback. Which one is more bang for the buck. We LOVE the idea of being so close the MK via Monorail. One of our bigggest concerns is that there isnt a food court at the Deluxe resorts because we are used to coming back to POR and having a late dinner from the counter service.

I would LOVE to hear some feedback. We are booking the end of this month for June 2013
June 2011-POR
June 2012-POR Royal Room
Next vacation June 14-22 - WL
Klib624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Both Poly and WL are wonderful resorts. I would choose based on which theming appeals to you. We prefer the Poly (love the tropical theme, large rooms, and the Poly has the best transportation options). Also, Captain Cooks at the Poly is open 24 hours if that's important to you.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

I would go for the Wilderness Lodge - it is a beautiful resort and in a convenient location without the pricetag of the Poly - in my mind definitely more bang for your buck.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
New Trip Report HKDL http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

The Poly is my favorite resort, but the WL is a close second. When factoring in value for the price, I think WL comes out on top. The Poly does have the edge when considering the monorail to Epcot. But the boat from the WL to the MK doesn't take that long and it's comfortable and relaxing.

Neither of these resorts have a food court, but they do both have decent (albeit small) quick service restaurants. Captain Cooks at the Poly seemed to have a bit more variety than Roaring Forks at the WL and being able to get a Dole Whip for dessert at the Poly definitely scored some points with me.

If price isn't a consideration, go with the Poly. If you are looking for more value for your money, choose the WL.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
MousePrincess
Earning My Ears

We did a split stay in January because I couldn't decide between the two so I know exactly where you're coming from! Like PP said WL is cheaper so that helps alot and there should be less walking there (depending on where you get a room I guess). The Poly sections are spread out but def not as much as a moderate. Both have quick service food options. They are just smaller/less selection than moderates. I preferred the Poly's qs but then again we didn't eat at either one much. Overall, the Poly has become my favorite resort but I certainly wouldn't be upset staying at WL again either!

POR 2008~CBR 2009~AKL 6/2010~CSR 12/2010~Disneyland 2011
WL/POLY 1/2012~AKL 11/2012~AKL 2013~YCR 2014
MousePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Turtlegirl

Mouseketeer

Just to clarify...WL is not on the monorail, one of the reasons the Poly is so much more expensive. Also, the rooms at the Poly are march larger than at WL.
11/02 AKL 6 nights
12/05 7 Night Western Magic Cruise
10/08 Polynesian & AKL (4 & 4)
11/09 AKL & Poly (3 & 4)
06/11 Polynesian 5 nights
11/12 Polynesian 7 nights or should we stay at AKL????
Turtlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
jdtopgun71
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at WL Villas twice now and love the resort. Have never stayed at the Poly but have eaten at Capt Hooks several times and always enjoy walking around the grounds and checking out the lobby and their gift shop. Personally I'd pick the Poly only because we've never stayed there and our goal is to stay at them all eventually, but if I were to recommend one over the other based on what I've seen, I'd go with Wilderness Lodge. The grounds are beautiful and we love the pool. We were lucky enough to stay in the Villas both times, so needless to say, the rooms were spectacular. My understanding is the rooms at Poly are larger than typical deluxe rooms so that may be a benefit to you.

As far as the transportation, a previous poster mentioned that the boat ride from WL is comfortable and doesn't take that long. This is true, once you are on the boat, but sometimes we've waited as long as 15 to 30 mins depending on when you get to the dock. With that said, the Poly clearly has a transportation advantage being a monorail resort.

But really, you can't go wrong with either one you choose! Enjoy your trip!
CBR Apr 2005/CSR Apr 2006/Hilton Grand Vacation Seaworld Mar 2008/HGVC Tuscany Jan 2009 (Took DS to WDW College Program)/HGVC Seaworld Apr 2009/WL Villas June 2010/POR Riverside 2010/HGVC Parc Soleil Nov 2011/HGVC Seaworld Dec 2011/Wyndham Lake Buena Vista/WL Villas June 2012/HGVC Seaworld Dec 2012

Me (43) DW (47) DS (24)DD (18)DD (17)
jdtopgun71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

We love the Poly. There are so many transportation options. You have the monorail, buses, boat and you can walk to the TTC.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to add that the transportation advantage for the Poly isn't just that it's on the monorail line- it's the fact that there are lots of options for travel:
-Monorail
-Buses
-Boat to MK
-Short walk to TTC for EPCOT monorail, ferry, or other park buses

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both and while we love both for different reasons, the Poly is our favorite and that would be my choice . The WL is a beautiful resort, but the Poly has an edge for us in that the rooms are much larger and all rooms come with a daybed. It's also very convenient to be just 2 monorail stops from MK and just a 5 minute walk from the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. Also, the tropical atmosphere is beautiful, it's relaxing walking around at night under the lit tiki torches, the volcano pool is great as you have a distant view of the castle while swimming, and the beach is great for lying in a hammock watching the fireworks . As far as CS, Captain Cooks at the Poly is one of our favorite resort CS places (with Roaring Forks at the WL being our second favorite). There isn't as much variety as the value and moderate food courts, but we love the selection there and have never had trouble finding something good to eat. You are also just a monorail ride away from Gasparilla's at the GF and Contempo Cafe at the CR if you want more variety. With all of that said, you really can't go wrong with either resort as they are both great places stay and I'm sure you'll have a magical trip no matter which resort you choose .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Klib624
Earning My Ears

So glad I joined this board

WOW! I am so glad I joined this board Everyone's responses have helped so much! When you think about spending that much money and have the hopes of the Deluxe Resort being "worth it"!

Thank you all for sharing! Now whats the best building to request at Poly? We can't afford to be Castleview but with a 13 year old and a 6 year old I want them to get the most of the location. As I said most of our trips the past 4 years have involved MAJOR walking to get to anything in the resort.
June 2011-POR
June 2012-POR Royal Room
Next vacation June 14-22 - WL
Klib624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
nikki7680
Mouseketeer

Totally keeping an eye on this thread! We are in the exact same boat as you! We want try a Deluxe and I thought we settled on WL but we just keep thinking about Poly! Our dilema is that we have a pin code and with it, we can stay 7 nights at the WL for less than it would cost to stay 6 nights at the Poly. So, its a toss up between a hotel we have ALWAYS wanted to try or get an extra night in Disney?

Take Me To My Happy Place! September 2014 PTR

nikki7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klib624 View Post
WOW! I am so glad I joined this board Everyone's responses have helped so much! When you think about spending that much money and have the hopes of the Deluxe Resort being "worth it"!

Thank you all for sharing! Now whats the best building to request at Poly? We can't afford to be Castleview but with a 13 year old and a 6 year old I want them to get the most of the location. As I said most of our trips the past 4 years have involved MAJOR walking to get to anything in the resort.
We stayed in Samoa and loved the location as it's conveniently located as it's just steps from the GCH, the volcano/quiet pool, the beach, and Captain Cooks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki7680 View Post
Totally keeping an eye on this thread! We are in the exact same boat as you! We want try a Deluxe and I thought we settled on WL but we just keep thinking about Poly! Our dilema is that we have a pin code and with it, we can stay 7 nights at the WL for less than it would cost to stay 6 nights at the Poly. So, its a toss up between a hotel we have ALWAYS wanted to try or get an extra night in Disney?
I am in the minority that I would go with 6 nights at the Poly over 7 at the WL. We love the WL, but the Poly is just amazing and is our #1 choice resort . Also, if the Poly is a resort you have always wanted to try, doing so with a good discount is the best time to stay there since you never know if another discount will come along .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
uagirl
Oh Toodles!

I've stayed at WL twice and the Poly twice. I love them both so much I don't think I could pick a favorite! I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Me-33 DH-33 Princess C-Bear-4 Princess C-Mouse - 2 months
uagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Bettie
Mouseketeer

This thread is very interesting to me! We have stayed Poly before and LOVED it but we are trying WL for our trip this January. One of the things I love about the Poly is the boat ride to the MK, so that is one of the reasons we chose WL. I am hoping we love it, too! It definitely has a super-enthusiastic fanbase!!
Bettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: