Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
What a sweet gift! That was sweet of him.

POFQ!!! That's the number one moderate resort that I want to stay at! It's so pretty. Hooray for birthday pixie dust! What a beautiful view!
He's a pretty wonderful guy, and I'm a pretty lucky girl!

I absolutely LOVED staying at POFQ. I've always been a POR girl...I just love those antebellum mansion buildings, but POFQ has won my heart!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Your ring from Gabriel is so beautiful!!!

Yay for birthday pixie dust!! Your view looks so nice!
Thank you!!

Our room was perfect...the beds, the view...even the water pressure in the shower!
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I'm here !!! YAY for Birthday Pixie Dust !!
Hello and ! I'm glad you're here!

Pixie dust is always great, but birthday is pixie dust is SUPER great!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #19
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm joining. I can't wait to hear about your trip. And that ring is a beautiful gift. He done good.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Day 1—Part 2: Into Africa

Because of our little side trip to the airport, we were significantly behind schedule on our plan to be at AK for rope drop, followed by several hours of EE, Dinosaur, FOTLK, and whatever else we could fit in. It was now about 10 a.m., and since we hadn’t had breakfast; it made sense to eat before we set out on a two-week safari. So we hit up the food court for beignets…the breakfast of champions!

The beignets are beyond delicious and an absolute MUST if you’re at POFQ, but be warned that the powdered sugar gets on everything and is hard to get off your clothes. It may have been the fabric my shirt was made of, but I couldn’t get it wiped off. I looked like I’d either been in a summer snowball fight or had an intense case of dandruff! So back to the room we went so I could change. Sheesh!

While we were in the room, I went ahead and cancelled our Boatwright’s dinner ADR because I’d found out that we could get into MK for MNSSHP at 4 p.m., even though the party didn’t start until 7.

While we were walking to the car, Erica casually mentioned that the only thing she really wanted to do at Animal Kingdom was the safari so she could see the giraffes.

What’s that you say?

You don’t want to ride EE and face the Yeti? You don’t want to get your spine dislocated on Dinosaur? You don’t want to see FOTLK? You don’t want to take 101 photos of the Tree of Life?!?!?!

Nope, she just wanted to see giraffes.

Leaving me on the horns of a dilemma.

It’s my birthday, and I know she’ll go to AK because I want to, but her heart won’t be in it; and I’ll feel bad for making her do something she doesn’t really want to do. She’s only going to be with me for another month or so, and I can go to AK anytime; so I/we changed the plan again.

Seeing a trend here?

The good thing is that this turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip!

Because I know where we can see giraffes without stepping foot in AK!

Yep, we started out on a long trek into Africa, specifically AKL.

First stop, Jambo House! Erica absolutely fell in love with Jambo House and still hasn’t stopped talking about it. Maybe someday I’ll treat her to a stay here….

This is a ceremonial mask of some sort. I took a picture of the plaque, but the glare from the window makes it impossible to read.

Hidden Mickey alert! (Sorry it’s so blurry…I kinda overzoomed.)

This young lady was outside Boma, playing the drum. She had extra drums for guests to play with her, and a couple of little boys sat down and had quite a jam session going. Erica wanted to play the drum, too, but for whatever reason decided not to.

Amazing light fixtures…these things are ginormous!

The lobby

Sculpture…this may actually have been at Kidani; I’m not sure.

Jambo House has an amazing gift shop with really unique and unusual items. I could kick myself for not taking pictures! Not everything there was made in Africa; but Erica found this little giraffe, which was made in Kenya.

They had several different animals in a few different colors, not all of them found in nature. I mean, if purple zebras and aqua giraffes exist, I’ve never seen one!

This is the window overlooking the savannah…the photo doesn’t do it justice!

Up next: Giraffes!

Continued in next post...
Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #21
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

...Continued from previous post

Day 1: Part 3—GIRAFFES!

There were no animals out at Jambo House, so we continued on our way to Kidani….

More cool lights….

This mask represents an African warrior.

And this one represents the ideal femine beauty. Girl power!

We loved these little seating areas, too…quiet nooks with great views!

But we were there for the main event…GIRAFFES (and one or two other animals, too)!

(playing with photoediting here)

Hmm…I wonder what kind of rare creatures these are:

The humidity was SO bad…my hair had gone completely limp. Ugh!

In spite of the heat and humidity, we stayed outside a long time, watching the animals and taking photos. I wanted to get pictures of the zebras, too, but they were…uuummm…busy. VERY Busy!

There was a very nice CM on duty to answer questions, and we had a lovely chat with him. He told us that although many people think of the African savannah as being sandy and barren, where he’s from, South Africa on the Indian Ocean coast, the savannah is just like the one at Kidani. He was finishing up his cultural exchange program with Disney and would be going home in just a few days. He told us what a great experience it was, so much so that he’d extended his program an extra couple of months.

By the time we wished him a safe journey home and said goodbye, it was almost 2 p.m., and the beignets had long ago been burned off in the African/Florida heat. It was time to get our grub on!

Up next…a new Disney restaurant for me!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I'm joining. I can't wait to hear about your trip. And that ring is a beautiful gift. He done good.
Hello and ! So glad to have you here!

Thank you...he floored me, that's for sure!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #23
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Beignets require a bib. Got it.

I've never even set foot in AKL (unfortunately) but pictures alone always make me swoon. It's such a gorgeous place!!!

Okay, I don't know why, but for some reason that ostrich next to the giraffe seriously looks like it's posing like a human, with her 'hands on her hips.'

Great giraffe pictures! They are such cool animals!

-Marissa
Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Do not eat beignets before engagement photos...got it!

AKL really is spectacular, isn't it? That was a great idea to visit there!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
amandaw
DIS Veteran

What a lovely birthday present! I'm sorry he wasn't able to go to WDW with y'all & give it to you on "y'alls bench".

Yay! for the room upgrade! Such a nice view. And beignets - you can never go wrong with beignets! The messiness is part of what makes them so yummy.

I really want to go visit AKL one day. It just looks so pretty!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #26
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Beignets require a bib. Got it.

I've never even set foot in AKL (unfortunately) but pictures alone always make me swoon. It's such a gorgeous place!!!

Okay, I don't know why, but for some reason that ostrich next to the giraffe seriously looks like it's posing like a human, with her 'hands on her hips.'

Great giraffe pictures! They are such cool animals!
Maybe you could sell a "Beignet Bib" idea to Disney! Instant millionaire!

You MUST get to AKL...it's well worth a visit. So beautiful...plus they have Zebra domes!

LOL...She does look like she has her hands on her hips and is all, "Guuuurlll, you KNOW I'm fab-o-lous!"

Thanks! It was so neat being up close to them like that!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #27
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Do not eat beignets before engagement photos...got it!

AKL really is spectacular, isn't it? That was a great idea to visit there!
LOL...Excellent idea (but be sure to get them while you're there...they're to die for)!

AKL really is amazing! I haven't been there in a long time, and it was kinda like seeing it for the first time again!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #28
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
What a lovely birthday present! I'm sorry he wasn't able to go to WDW with y'all & give it to you on "y'alls bench".

Yay! for the room upgrade! Such a nice view. And beignets - you can never go wrong with beignets! The messiness is part of what makes them so yummy.

I really want to go visit AKL one day. It just looks so pretty!
Thank you. I was bummed that he wasn't able to go, but I love that he's such a good dad...and in this case, it really is the thought that counts!

I know, right?? I was so happy with our view pixie dust! Beignets are messy perfection!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #29
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Oh I LOVE AKL! It's so gorgeous there! What a great idea to go there to get your giraffe fill - no lines!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #30
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

As soon as I saw the Ferris Bueller reference I was totally in for this TR! That is one of my favorite movies. AND YOUR FAVORITE IS EUGENE????? Oh, I'm SO in. I am madly in love with Eugene. It's kind of a problem at this point. I am SO EXCITED to go to MNSSHP next week so I can finally meet him!!!!

I'm sorry that Gabriel couldn't come. I'm glad that his daughter's injury didn't end up being serious though, at least. It was so sweet of him to plan that for you with the ring even though it didn't go as you'd hoped, of course it's the thought that counts! I'm sure you'll get to be in Disney together soon.

I totally agree... every time I go under the arch it's like going home. But better, cause you can't find Eugene Fitzherbert at my actual home...sigh.

That was a great idea to go over to AKL and see the giraffes. It's one of my favorite resorts, the beauty of it just never ever ever gets old!

I can't wait to hear about your MNSSHP experience... we are going next week and I am TOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: