Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
crazymama
Mouseketeer

Any NYC advice for a newbie??

Well I am off to NYC on Saturday... one of 8 chaperones herding a troop of 27 dancers to the Big Apple! We are from a "smallish" community in BC, Canada so this will be a real thrill for the kids (and me!) We are staying at The Salisbury and have Newsies and Mary Poppins booked for the group (YAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!). The kids are training at Broadway Dance, Steps, Alvin Ailey and Pearl Dance studios and performing at Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital and in Central Park. Whew!! Its going to be a whirlwind.
Any advice out there about what else to see or best places to feed the kiddos? I know this is kind of vague... I am just so darned excited but also unsure about the whole experience having never been there before!
I am a confirmed theatre junkie so think I may faint dead away in Times Square! Hoping to swing by the Ticket Booth and perhaps find another show that my group of four can agree on.
crazymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymama View Post
Well I am off to NYC on Saturday... one of 8 chaperones herding a troop of 27 dancers to the Big Apple! We are from a "smallish" community in BC, Canada so this will be a real thrill for the kids (and me!) We are staying at The Salisbury and have Newsies and Mary Poppins booked for the group (YAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!). The kids are training at Broadway Dance, Steps, Alvin Ailey and Pearl Dance studios and performing at Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital and in Central Park. Whew!! Its going to be a whirlwind.
Any advice out there about what else to see or best places to feed the kiddos? I know this is kind of vague... I am just so darned excited but also unsure about the whole experience having never been there before!
I am a confirmed theatre junkie so think I may faint dead away in Times Square! Hoping to swing by the Ticket Booth and perhaps find another show that my group of four can agree on.
Ooh, where in BC if you don't mind saying? I love BC!

First, you'll probably have better luck (and spend less time in line) if you go to the TKTS booth downtown by John St. It's the same thing, but a lot of people don't know about it and many people just head to the Times Square booth, so you'll be waiting on line there as people buy tix but could go downtown and snap stuff up. Though that's a LOT of tickets.

You might think about breaking the group up - or trying student rush.

Student rush tix allow people with student IDs (so presumably all your kids), to buy up to two tickets per ID, day of show, for like $30 a piece. They're very often excellent seats, that'd go for 5 or so times that price.

Unlikely you'd find that many rush tix for one show, but it's theoretically possible and if you break the group up and send people to different rush lines, you might get a bunch and have three groups or whatever go to different shows.

The Playbill site, here, has a usually current list of everyone's rush policies (when you have to show up, price, etc.)

As for eating and such - The Shake Shack, there's one in the back of Times Square that's a madhouse but you'll be over there a bunch. There's also one on the Upper West Side decently close to Steps.

Also if you don't have Pinkberry or 16 Handles, I'd guess the kids will love them (especially 16). They're both frozen yogurt, the 16 handles has 16 flavours and a big topping bar, you walk along and fill your cup yourself with whatever flavours and toppings you want and pay by weight. There are a bunch all over. Not sure if there are in TS, but there are like 2 blocks or less from Steps.

Also lots of prepared foods and salads and stuff you can grab on the go at most markets - Fairway (directly underneath Steps), that big deli by Times Sq. with the yellow, etc.

There's lots of pizza by the slice and sit-down pizza places that are great.

You're staying a couple blocks from the Time Warner thing - which has a giant Whole Foods in the downstairs. It has a whole bunch of prepacked salads, little sandwiches, etc. and two giant salad bars and a hot food bar, a dessert bar, a cookie cart, pastries and rolls, soup bar, fresh pizza and sushi bar. It's open 'til 11 every night, it's like 3 blocks from your hotel and has a quite large seating area in the back with booths and all to eat in if you buy stuff there. I'd plan on stuff like that before I tried going into proper restaurants with 30 people, though it's not impossible to do that either.

The Waffles and Dinges truck is usually parked there (right outside the Time Warner thing) lately - fresh-made Belgian waffles with all sorts of toppings sweet and savory. It's yellow, it's there 'til late, follow the smell of the waffle iron.

There's an organic, made-to-order smoothie/juice truck that's usually parked either there or across the street at the Trump thing too.

As to what to see - The Metropolitcan Museum of Art (it's a donation museum, they will let you in for what you wish to pay, though they have signs with the 'recommended' donation - you can give them a few dollars each and they'll hand you buttons showing you paid, no problem), Columbia U. campus and neighbourhood, more of Central Park, if they like makeup and costumes might stop at a Ricky's (it's a drugstore known as the Halloween center of NY, tons of stuff you won't likely find other places), if you can book it, the Tenement Museum.

One of the two salad bars at the Whole Foods -

Pizza station

One part of the cafe seating - it's goes all the way around the side and stuff.

Last edited by cornflake; 10-11-2012 at 01:17 AM.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
crazymama
Mouseketeer

Wow! Thank you Cornflake for all that amazing information!! That salad bar looks amazing!! As far as tickets are concerned I love the idea of the student rush thing... I will only be looking for tickets for my group of 4 (and perhaps my good friend and co-chaperone's group of 4.) I organized the two big group sales through Disney Theatrical Bookings (who, by the way were great to work with!) and other than that it is every small group for themselves. We are also doing the Newsies/Mary Poppins music and movement workshops on the mornings of those shows. Should make the kids appreciate the shows even more!!
How far is it to the less busy ticket booth from The Salisbury? It sounds like the smarter way to go!! Are the student rush tickets bought the day of performance at the theatre box office? I love that idea and will check out your link. Thanks!

We are from West Kelowna, tucked into the Okanagan Valley of BC. Lots of fruit and lots of wine!!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymama View Post
Wow! Thank you Cornflake for all that amazing information!! That salad bar looks amazing!! As far as tickets are concerned I love the idea of the student rush thing... I will only be looking for tickets for my group of 4 (and perhaps my good friend and co-chaperone's group of 4.) I organized the two big group sales through Disney Theatrical Bookings (who, by the way were great to work with!) and other than that it is every small group for themselves. We are also doing the Newsies/Mary Poppins music and movement workshops on the mornings of those shows. Should make the kids appreciate the shows even more!!
How far is it to the less busy ticket booth from The Salisbury? It sounds like the smarter way to go!! Are the student rush tickets bought the day of performance at the theatre box office? I love that idea and will check out your link. Thanks!

We are from West Kelowna, tucked into the Okanagan Valley of BC. Lots of fruit and lots of wine!!
Ooh, Okanagan cherries. :D

It's not that far if you take the 2,3 train to I think Fulton St. - you can get those at Times sq. or take the local train from Columbus Circle (hub stop close to you), two stops to Time Sq. station and transfer (it's not some process, local and express trains on the same line, as these are, are across the platform from each other. You just get off the local, walk 3 feet forward, wait for the express though the conductors try to coordinate so you can often just get off one and scoot right into the other). Also get to see stuff downtown.

Rush are day of, all the policies are at the link, different shows do it differently but you can't beat the prices. If it's just four of you, and you DON'T have the ID, can split up in a way that two ppl can wait one place and two another and call each other if someone wins the right to buy, to double your chances.

You also might look into tours considering who your kids are. The Metropolitan Opera House does a backstage tour (it's also home to the American Ballet Theatre), other places do too. There are also B'way shoe and dance shops, there's a fairly big Capezio store over in the Steps area, etc. Oh, you're also by
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
crazymama
Mouseketeer

Okanagan cherries are pretty deelish!!! Yet, I do prefer the grapes (once they are squeezed into a bottle that is!!)
Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
crazymama
Mouseketeer

Back from our dance trip and just want to say that we had the time of our lives!! Love love love NYC!! Drove through Times Square at 8:00 pm upon arrival and panicked thinking of taking our charges through the mob. Before you knew it we were pro's and taking on the city with some bravado!!! Became familiar with subway which got us everywhere we needed to be... love the week long transit pass. So easy!
Can't even express how much we ALL loved Newsies. The kids were "gobsmacked" (love that word!). The dance blew our minds. Since we are a studio that does a lot of tap... King of New York was such a highlight. We were all on our feet cheering! Mary Poppins was fantastic, Bring It On was good (kids loved it more than the grown ups to be sure). The "tricks" definitely were impressive. New Amsterdam Theatre tour was really informative and cool.
I could go on and on but will just say that I will be going back to New York as soon as feasible. Adults trip... packing in as much theatre and museums as possible!!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

I'm going to NYC in March... so I want to save this info. Glad you had a good trip!

Cornflake, your info will be very helpful to me, too. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
WhateverLolaWants
DIS Veteran

Might want to check out Carmine's for a meal. They're family style Italian restaurant and the portions are massive.

Trips

October '87, June '91, Summer '93, Summer '97, December '98, July '99, April '00, December '02, August '03, November '03, January - May '07 (College Program),
January '08 (WDW and Disney Wonder), February '08 (DL/CA), December '08, October '09, February '11, January '12, February '13, October '13,
December '13 and on - Florida Resident Annual Pass
WhateverLolaWants is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: