Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Genealogy Search, 1890 Census Destroyed. Now What?

I'm trying to verify some information. I currently have information going back to my G-G-G-Grandparents born in 1776 and 1779. My mother's family's history and keepsakes are well documented and preserved. I have an entire hope chest full of family photographs, however, they weren't very good about writing the names on the back of the photos.

Here's what I'm stuck on... My Great-Grandmother, (GG) was born in 1881. In the pictures that I have of who I believe is my GG as a young girl, there is another girl in the photos that looks just like her, they look like twins, nearly the same size and face. (There is no one alive to confirm their identities.) I am convinced this must be her sister but I can not verify this.

Since she was born in 1881, (in PA) and most of the 1890 census were destroyed, and by 1900 she was married to my G-Grandfather, living in their own household, (in NY) how can I find out if she had any other siblings? (Her mother died when she was 13. Near her mother's grave, there is also a grave for their 1 day old daughter. Her father remarried and the 1900 census list his new wife and 1 son.)

This is mostly out of curiosity at this point, a mystery to be solved, since this information isn't really needed for our pedigree chart/family tree.

Any tips I can try to find out if my GG had a sister? Where, and what records can I try searching for this information?

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
muffyn
"hmmm*

if you are not a member of ancestry.com, try joining with a free trial. THEN upload as much as you can of your family tree online there. you never know what other person is looking for the same family tree, & ancestry automatically searches on their large expanse of files for anything that might relate to you.

I had started doing genealogy 6 years ago, but until last month never thought of putting a tree online, I will NEVER be able to break a few brick walls I have, but I found hundreds of other relatives off in the distance, & have over 10,000 hits to go through that ancestry found ( census, & lots of other items)

pretty neat.
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

You can try http://familysearch.org

It is free, it has tons of information available and has places that you can physically go to that have people that can help you as well, they even offer classes on how to find things. You do not need to be a member of the church to use either service.

They also have a lot of resources that they provide information about, including some we may not think to use. My favorite so far is using pintrest to try to find out information. In all honesty, I have not used pintrest yet, so I don't know about how it would all work, but it's an example of using new sites to try to figure things out.

And yes, ancestry.com is a great resource as well, but the more resources the better in my opinion.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post
if you are not a member of ancestry.com, try joining with a free trial. THEN upload as much as you can of your family tree online there. you never know what other person is looking for the same family tree, & ancestry automatically searches on their large expanse of files for anything that might relate to you.

I had started doing genealogy 6 years ago, but until last month never thought of putting a tree online, I will NEVER be able to break a few brick walls I have, but I found hundreds of other relatives off in the distance, & have over 10,000 hits to go through that ancestry found ( census, & lots of other items)

pretty neat.
This is absolutely the BEST resource on the web. New stuff is addded all the time and I will still pop up interesting details on ancestors even after years of research. IM me your g.grandmother's name, place of birth and parents' name and I'll take a pop in and look for her on Ancestry so you can decide if it's worth it to you. I suspect it will be.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
sue1013
Haven't had a good Yodel in years
I know I'm the odd one
We need to be snow birds!

Check and see if there was a state census for 1895 in the state she resided. I've found the state census to be helpful since there is no 1890 federal census.
sue1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

You might have luck finding more information on your family by contacting the local PA county genealogy historical society. Most county genealogy organizations have web sights with a good amount of information posted, often with local stories, pictures, newspaper articles, church records etc. posted. Additionally there are researchers to contact for a small fee, if having trouble finding what you are looking for.

As an example of a helpful local genealogy sight that might be similar to the country your relatives lived in - this is an Iowa county genealogy web page where I found a great deal of family information. Good luck!

http://www.sharylscabin.com/Clayton/
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Duchie
"Answers are the easy part, questions raise the doubt." - J. Buffett

I've done a TON of research in PA because that's where DH's family has always been. A lot of it is going to be determined by where in PA she lived. If it was in a major city you can try city directories but in this case they may not be helpful. But the larger cities (especially Philadelphia) often kept records like birth, death and marriage records before they were required by law (the PA birth and death index is on line and free, but doesn't start until 1906 which might not help).

For smaller towns I've found church records to be extremely helpful. Many of the city/county historical societies have a lot of this stuff available. If they're close by you can go and look at the records yourself. But if you're remote (like me, trying to do this research from TX) they will often look for you for a fee.

Someone mentioned Ancestry.com and one great resource there is their message boards. You can post questions like this, but you can be specific about the area and what you're looking for. I've found quite a few very helpful people that way.

Good luck!
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

if it were me, I would search all the PA birth and marriage records by the parents' names. If your GG grandma had a sister, she might pop up that way.

good luck!
jen

DH43, ME41, DD12, DD10 and DD7

jenniferma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
laurafergie
DIS Veteran

It there a cemetery survey book for your county? I have filled in a lot my holes by process of elimination with cemetery surveys, also love findagrave.com! and then cross referencing with birth records.

ETA oops! Zombie thread!!
2009 All Star Sports
2010 Windsor Hills - Christmas at Disney!!
2015 ???? Always Hopeful!
DH Me DS27 DD23 DD22 DD14 DD10
laurafergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post

pretty neat.
Check with your library before you sign up for free trial of Ancestry.com. They want your credit card number and if you forget to end the trial after 30 days will begin charging you.

We can go to our library and use the program for free.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: