Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Kencad MOM
Mouseketeer

Magic VS Wonder

Are there any differences between the two ships?
Shows, restaurants, kids clubs?
Do you like one ship more than the other?

Thanks for any info!

ME 35DH 39DD 12DS8

Wonder 3/2010, Wonder 2/2012, Magic 2/2013, Magic 2/2014
Kencad MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
luv that cruise
Someone give me instructions as if i were a first grader!

they are almost identical. some restaurants are different names but the same atmosphere. Lumiere's (magic) is Triton's (wonder). Top Siders (magic) is beach blanket buffet (wonder). The adult entertainment area is called Beat Street on the Magic but Route 66 on the Wonder. The adult piano bar on the magic is Sessions and on the Wonder is Cadillac. Other than that I can't think of any differences.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
lcsmom
Mouseketeer

The Wonder has an enclosed area of the adult bar/ coffee bar on the top deck. I can't remember the name. It's a great place to have a beverage and watch the sunset or the water go by. We really missed this area on the Magic when we were in the Med last year.
lcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsmom View Post
The Wonder has an enclosed area of the adult bar/ coffee bar on the top deck. I can't remember the name. It's a great place to have a beverage and watch the sunset or the water go by. We really missed this area on the Magic when we were in the Med last year.
It's called Cove Cafe. Also, the Wonder has a conference room on deck 2, whereas the Magic has Edge (tween club) in that same location. The Wonder has an Ariel statue in the atrium. The Magic has Mickey. Minor differences in decor and theming, as previously mentioned.

We loved the Wonder and are looking forward to cruising her again next month!

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Isn't there some minor structural difference, like The Wonder is a tad longer? Certainly isn't a noticeable difference in size, tho the Wonder holds the record for being the largest ship to ever go through the Panama Canal, so there must be some difference.

Trying to research this -- found out the Magic was built in two shipyards but the Wonder was all one piece so she didn't need to be reinforced in the middle. Someone know more details on this?

Last edited by jdb in AZ; 10-11-2012 at 12:56 AM.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
bulldog42
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post
It's called Cove Cafe. Also, the Wonder has a conference room on deck 2, whereas the Magic has Edge (tween club) in that same location. The Wonder has an Ariel statue in the atrium. The Magic has Mickey. Minor differences in decor and theming, as previously mentioned.

Edge is on deck 2 of Wonder as well.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
dan and scott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Isn't there some minor structural difference, like The Wonder is a tad longer? Certainly isn't a noticeable difference in size, tho the Wonder holds the record for being the largest ship to ever go through the Panama Canal, so there must be some difference.

Trying to research this -- found out the Magic was built in two shipyards but the Wonder was all one piece so she didn't need to be reinforced in the middle. Someone know more details on this?
---actually the Magic was the first to transit the canal in 2005
they are both the same length in size.

Scott
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

Even though I have not been on the Wonder, I know it has Toy Story as one of it's main shows, and the Magic does not.

We would love to see it.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
twinstars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post

I think on the Wonder, there is Cove Cafe and there is the enclosed area which is "Outlook Cafe". It is much bigger than the Cove. I only saw it from the outside....because it seems my little ones are ALWAYS with me!
twinstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstars View Post
I think on the Wonder, there is Cove Cafe and there is the enclosed area which is "Outlook Cafe". It is much bigger than the Cove. I only saw it from the outside....because it seems my little ones are ALWAYS with me!
Correct...the Outlook Cafe was added to Deck 10. The area used to be called the Outlook Bar which was just a bar on Deck 10 like any other of the bars on the pool deck but it was so windy up there that they eventually closed it down (can't say that the was the only reason) and it was left unused for years until they built the Outlook Cafe.

If you go on the Magic you can see that the Outlook Bar on Deck 10 is closed as well. I do miss it as they used to have awesome chicken wings and paninis (before Goofy's Galley was put in).

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstars View Post
That is correct - both ships have the cove cafe, but the Wonder has a spiral staircase from the Cove Cafe to the Outlook Cafe (as well as access directly from what I believe is the 10th floor). Outlook Cafe is like a bar but has great views and I really enjoyed it even more than Cove Cafe, which is more like a coffee bar/bar but with a big screen tv where they show sports and news. Cove Cafe also has lots of magazines and some pastries.
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Since they are very similar, I would make my choice based on itinerary and price.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The differences between the ships reflect what happened in the various dry docks. They started off as essentially identical except for the decor. When the Wonder was to go to Alaska, the area that was the Outlook Bar was enclosed to become the Outlook Cafe. On the Magic, it is still open.

The area that is now the Edge on both ships has gone thru various revisions and uses. It was originally a library with books and games for all ages. The morphed into a conference room when DCL learned that it could book "groups with a purpose" if it provided meeting space for them, and then morphed into the Edge.

Correct--Wonder does Toy Story, Magic does Twice Charmed.

Wonder has Christiaan, Magic usually has Peter.

There is not enough difference between the ships to make that my deciding factor--dates and locations are more important to me.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

Maybe it's because it was my "first ship", but I much prefer the Wonder. The differences in decor are subtle, but I do prefer the Wonder's Art Nouveau style to the Art Deco Style of the Magic. The DCL site actually has a page listing differences between the ships:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...s/differences/

Oh, and the Outlook Cafe makes a HUGE difference. This summer, we were on the Magic sailing up to Canada, and it was chilly and windy on deck. It would have been nice to sit in a lovely coffee bar with floor to ceiling windows. Hopefully, this will be one of the renovations when the Magic goes into drydock.
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

I have only been on the Magic and the Wonder and they really are just the same with the exception of what others have mentioned with the decor. I prefer the Magic, but really it's just green apples vs. red.

They are laid out exactly the same.

DCL: 2011 11-night Med, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California: July 2012
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: