Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #106
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob62 View Post
i let my kids bring phones..but have same rules at disney as it is at home ....no using phones during eating times. homework ..and at disney.. limited use...its family time..no need for a phone..and since i work at home and use it frequently.. I refuse to bring mine..Im on vacation dont need it.keep me away from work!!..FP+ will be done before i go, so no worries there...I personally get tired of hearing conversations on phones everywhere i go...especially at disney... theatres.. restaurants..etc.. I never make or answer calls in restaurants or theatres..if its an actual emergency.. i will pick it up and leave the area and not ruin it for others who dont care about my conversation...ok im done venting.
Wow, I agree 100% Boy, the conversations I've heard when I'm stuck, and can't get away from loud mouthed phone conversations. Actually, in some places you can hear (totally not trying or wanting to) clear across the room. Sheesh, people, keep your conversations private!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #107
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

We took our phones for our August 2012 trip. We have a 14, 12, 10, 6 and 3 yr old. I am the only one with a smart phone, which was great for line times and fast pass information. I have a few very important calls to take while on vacation. I am a realtor and had a closing the week I was gone, so just a few follow ups had to be taken care of.

Having a phone worked great when Dh would take the little kids while I rode thrill rides with the older 3 or vice versa, or dh and I would go with 2 little guys, while the old 3 rode a ride. Never going off on their own, with the exception for a ride split up, one at a time. This way we could all meet up immediately following the ride. We never took phones out during meal time, line waiting, or any where else that I would not want to hear people talking on the phone.

I think it is great that you can do it, but knowing I could save valuable line waiting with 5 kids proved to be invaluable to me. I loved finding out where to go first upon entering the park and have a plan. It made for happy parents and happy kids.

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 43) (16)(14)(12)(8) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #108
katt789
DIS Veteran

It's a great idea!!

Coming from Canada, the first 3 trips down to the world, my phone was in my suitcase the entire time, turned off, don't even want to think about the roaming charges.

Since then, and with the wifi in the parks, I do try and tweet (with pictures) as much as I can, and I take notes for my trip reports in my phone, but I save it for moments when we're waiting in lines for things.

Nothing irks me more than when you got out with friends or family for dinner and everyone's on their phones not talking. Who wants to do that when you're in such a magical place?!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #109
stindall
Congress Tart

I'll be taking my phone with me but only because I'm going solo. When we go other places like Kings Island, Cedar Point etc we leave our phones in the car or hotel. We also take a few days a week when we get to spend more time together and shut off most of the tech in our home and just enjoy each others company. I love my phone but I think it's amazing how people are so obsessed with them! My mom, brother, and I went to see Wreck it Ralph and my Mom could not get off of her phone! My brother obsessively uses his when he's hanging out with us. It's gross really.

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #110
vcgirl925
Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason i have trust issues

I think it's GREAT!

We wouldn't do it though. Mainly because we need to split up a lot due to ages of the kids. This makes it easier to catch up to one another after attractions. Also, we can take pictures of what the other one is doing when we're not together and text it! I guess we are just one of those electronically connected families.

Upcoming Trips:
Caribbean Beach Resort: June 25th 2014
Beach Club Resort Sept 13th 2014

Last Trip: Port Orleans Riverside Feb 9th 2013
vcgirl925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #111
NicPie
Frozen 24/7

I haven't read the whole thread.. but no, I couldn't leave my phone at home. That doesn't mean I'll be wasting time with my family because I'm on it.. but I do use it for things like my camera and checking in at the airport. Plus DH and I will need them just in case we happened to get separated. (I'm visually impaired, so I have issues finding people in crowds.) There are also the apps that I want to use in the parks to help keep track of lines and show start times, etc. Then there are the times when we're back at the resort relaxing and I might want to send a pic of my daughter to her grandparents or something like that. I also have a puppy that will be babysat and I should have some way to be contacted about him just in case something should happen and he needs to go to the vet.

All sorts of reasons to take it. Just because you bring a phone doesn't mean you can't control yourself about when you use it. (Not being rude, just saying..) Phones are plenty more useful besides just for checking FB or Twitter.

NicPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #112
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

The minute we arrive at the resorts, the phones and computers are turned off, the TV is set only to the Disney resort information station, and no newspapers are opened. People know how to get a hold of me in a emergency. I'm on vacation. TDBIASWS..
Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #113
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Interesting thread.
I can see both sides of the phone vs. no phone debate, and I can see how the no-phone option might be a particularly good idea if members of a family are addicted to their devices and never put them down. But we will be a family that takes our phones, ipod and ipad with us on holiday and will not be feeling guilty because of it.

We like our technology for many of the reasons already mentioned e.g emergency contact, keeping in touch with family, park apps, entertainment on long flights etc, but, more than that, they provide us with our down time.

As far as I'm concerned, while on Vacation, I'm spending 24hrs a day with my family. If I stop at the end of the day and relax in front of Facebook for an hour, it doesn't make our time together any less valuable. It just means that I'm unwinding and relaxing and will be happier the next day because of it.
If my DH hands his iPod to my son at a restaurant, it's because my DS has finished his meal, he's a bit overstimulated because he's on holiday, and is keen to get going. Meanwhile DH and I just want to sit and relax and enjoy our surroundings for a bit longer. The result is that everyone is now happy. We'll make up for that 15 minutes of missed conversation with our son when we leave the restaurant and continue enjoying the day's activities together.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #114
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Having your phone with you does not mean you lack in family values. Someone being rude to grandma with phone in hand would be rude to grandma without a phone too.

We take ours, there is no way I would go without them. As a larger group with only one non-teenager, we do split up at times. And having phones make it easier to hook back up. Yes you can designate a meeting place, but with a phone you don't have to. You can say 'I'm right by the Stitch ride walking towards the Castle". Easy.

If someone wants to leave their phones home, that is fine. Their choice. But it does not make your vacation somehow better or more family oriented than those of the people who have their phones. And this thread has a bunch of posts that smack of just that. Phoneless Vacation Superiority.

I so totally agree.

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #115
Sunstar
Mouseketeer

My husband and I did the exact same thing when we went on our honeymoon. It was wonderful!

Of course, now I wonder what will happen with the new FP+ system for non-phone people, since one of the things they're touting is the ability to change your plans using your smart phone.

Katie and Kellan's Disneymoon PTR Mr. and Mrs. Potts Take a Honeymoon Holiday
Caribbean Beach April 1989 * Off Site WDW/US Aug 1994 * Port Orleans French Quarter/IOA Aug 1996 * Disneyland Paris April 1999 * Coronado Springs/IOA Aug 2000 * Coronado Springs Aug 2006 * Disneyland Resort Feb 2008 * Coronado Springs Aug 2011 - Our Disneymoon! * Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room!) - May 2014

Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #116
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

I'm like several others - I admire those who can do it, but I'm not one of them. Although I'm not very attached to my phone (I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I don't have to worry about work calling), but the convenience and time-saving is wonderful.

My husband is very attached to his and I wish he would not take work calls on vacation, but it's a family business and he handles the digital area of it (which is most of it these days) so it's not an option for him to leave it.

I love the apps for lines and I keep all of our confirmation numbers listed for restaurants, but my favorite thing is being able to keep in touch with DH.

I'm 30, so I didn't get a cell phone until I was 18 (and that was a very basic phone) and got my first smart phone a couple of years ago. I clearly remember the time when I went to Disney or other theme parks and didn't have any way to tell my parents or friends that I wouldn't be able to meet at the meeting place at the right time, for whatever reason (broken down ride, stuck in line, had to stop at a restroom and the line was forever long, etc.), so I know it's possible to tour the parks without a phone, but it's worth every penny for me to be in Fantasyland with little DS and DH to be in Adventureland with older DS and constantly know where they are.

Many times we both left our respective "lands" and figured it out minutes later, but we were able to meet in the middle instead of backtracking all over the park. The time saved for us is so worth the slight inconvenience of a few calls!

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: