Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #526
SoccerDogWithEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post

And now I'm curious about that inside joke...
Haha, it's really just kind of dumb. We were watching TV one day, and he was getting bored and wanted to go play his video games, and I didn't want him to leave, so I turned perpendicular to him, wrapped my legs around his waist and arms around his shoulder and went "I's a koala." I never said we were normal....anyway, it's just gotten to be a cute thing between us, so the fact that IASW has an adult koala with a baby koala on its back...I had to take a picture!

On a side note, have you ever considered therapeutic horseback riding for Brynn? I volunteer at a local center here, and it really does work wonders on all sorts of disabilities, physical and mental. The majority of our riders fall on the autism spectrum. I guess it's just because I love my work out there so much, but I'm always happy to advocate it!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #527
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning

Actually, I HAVE!! A friend of mine has a daughter doing Hippotherapy right now. Unfortunately, our insurance decided it counts as part of OT, and they already only give us twenty visits a year for that (Brynn's recommended for two visits a week!), so we can't afford it. Some places far away from us will do it for free, but I haven't been able to find any near us. I contacted a bunch of places last week, but they all did the "do you have insurance" thing and none would tell me about financial help . I think it would help her so much, so I'm bummed. SO COOL that you do that!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #528
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh, gosh. You could just have been describing Brynn! This was our first year with the GAC, and really it was just because she has gotten so big and so hard to handle, whether for her tantrums or for having to carry her when her legs give out. The GAC really helped us have the smoothest trip of our life. Even when it made rides not as convenient, I know it really made the trip go better because it saved multiple meltdowns. Still, though, we did get "the look" several times. I mean, we get it all the time at home, so I shouldn't be surprised. I've even been told that "all she needs is a kick in the pants." I don't believe in spanking, anyway, but to apply that to her?? RIDICULOUS! I hate being judged, and I hate people judging her. She really is trying her best. I know I said it before, but I'm so glad you're here.

That's exactly it, Star. It makes you question yourself as a parent, even when you know why things are happening. The GAC helped us mostly because she is so big, and when things go wrong, they go wrong in a BIG way! And other times she's just great.

Yes!! That's it. It's so hard because they really are trying their best. Sarah even says to me, "Mom, I am trying but I can't make my brain listen to me". Breaks my heart...makes me mad..and all that wrapped in one. Anyone who has never had to deal with it just can not understand... I'm sure I was a judger too back in the day before I knew better. She's in mainstream school and it's so, so hard for me to watch her struggle there.... I just want everyone to know MY Sarah. The sweet girl who I love with all my heart... and see past what she really can not control....

And I was very, very happy to stumble on your trip report. I also have not met anyone with a girl who struggles with these issues.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDogWithEars View Post
On a side note, have you ever considered therapeutic horseback riding for Brynn? I volunteer at a local center here, and it really does work wonders on all sorts of disabilities, physical and mental. The majority of our riders fall on the autism spectrum. I guess it's just because I love my work out there so much, but I'm always happy to advocate it!
We tried this with Sarah as well. It did not go so well because have I mentioned she has control issues?! She was not so happy to 'do what she was told' Apparently she just wanted to ride free with the horses and so be it...it turned into a battle with us & I decided to table it till she was older (we tried when she was around 6). We were just talking about this recently- putting her back it. Our insurance also will not cover & it's wicked expensive.
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #529
SoccerDogWithEars
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear it's so expensive :-(. I have no real idea of the cost, but I do know that something like 90% of our riders are on financial aid/scholarship. Tinker326 I've worked with a rider with control issues, I applaud your decision. For our rider, we now use a "3 strikes" rule, either positive or negative. Some days, if we can tell when she comes in it's going to be difficult, we have whiteboard with three squares, and each time she argues or does something inappropriate, she gets a check. 3 checks, and she dismounts and the lesson is over. On other days, if she does 3 things correctly, at the end of her lesson she gets a sticker. It's been a HUGE help. But, of course, all instructors teach differently, and every rider is different. If y'all are ever up in Greenville, NC, I'll show you Rocking Horse Ranch!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #530
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
[B]
YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad you're here to read. I hope you'll do a TR after your trip, too, so I can read about a first-timer's experiences!

So happy you liked it...twice! Thanks for reading .

We just got Brandsmart around here in the last couple of years...in fact, I'm not sure if it is anywhere but Georgia?! I'm just saying that the listed prices online are not accurate. We've seen it at Target (oh..Canada?) and Best Buy and Walmart B]
than yes w are in Canada, I am visiting te states in April and June so I can buy online and ship. Downfall is warranty will prob be void. But noting ever happens in te first year. Brands,art I could order online but the price there was high too so I'll keep looking.
Thanks!

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #531
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Yay for a jam-packed day at DHS! That's good that you ended up getting a car at Sci-Fi, how weird that they wanted to bump you to a table after only 10 minutes!

Too funny about meeting the other Julia and Brynn!!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #532
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Toy Story Mania is ALWAYS busy, even on the slow days! It's just annoying. I'm glad it isn't my favorite ride in the world because it's near impossible to get on unless you are equipped with some FPs!

I've never watched the Voyage show, but I've heard the same thing you said about there being some large gaps in it, haha. That being said, it seems like the kiddos loved it!

Your children are little pirates, hoarding those Dubloons! Mwahaha.

HS is very photogenic, but it's not my favorite park. In fact, I'd rank it at the bottom at number 5 (only above California Adventure) for Disney parks. I think I can blame that in part due to Brazilian Tour Groups ALWAYS being there every day when we are in Disney. EVERY. DAY.

OMGOMG.. I was literally DYING over here at the look on Julia's face where she's riding the Speeder Bike! SHE IS SO SERIOUS in that photo about cruising along.

Sci-Fi Dine-In looks pretty fun! I am not such a fan of Crabby Cathys in Disney World who tell you that your family won't get a car. Gaaahd.

That's so weird about meeting another Brynn and Julia. The odds are not very high! Haha.

I enjoy Julia's logic for Toy Story!
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #533
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Studios isn't my favorite park either... I like it... just don't love it... not sure... something about the layout...? (hope they bring Carsland... it would give it a boost...

Sigh... not to jump on the ASD band wagon... but I'm feeling a teeny bit cranky... I don't like to feel like I'm being judged either... and I really detest people who think that it's not ok to be a little bit "eccentric" for lack of a better word but it's ok to be a jerk or smartas* ... DS is super smart... he's gifted but he's socially immature... not rude or oppositional just sensitive and kind of into his own world at times... which is not always the cool "tween" world... (He doesn't have a lot of sensory issues... but he's not great at reading social cues & he's kind of ADD to boot...) The thing is he's a really cool kid... just not the way most 10/11 years olds think of "cool" oh... sorry I'm on a tangent... little headache... bad afternoon... Anyway I think there are more girls on the spectrum than are diagnosed (definitely & significantly less than boys... but they are often a lot harder to diagnose ... and it can look different in girls as well...

Love Star Wars... (we have a photo like that too... I think it's a rite of passage...

Love the Muppets too... wish they'd make a comeback...

I'm really happy that Drill Sergeant CM at the Sci Fi was in fact wrong and you got a car... (that's the whole point of a drive in...) WE actually really enjoy it in there... have to try the Rueben... but the burgers are pretty decent and the milkshakes are awesome... Don't know why it gets such bad reviews... the clips are a hoot...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #534
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

The LM ride queue definitely has a way of making you feel boxed in and it is laughable how they turn the movie into a 17 minute show I still love it though.

I can't blame your kids here. I have trouble sitting still for too long too. Although of all places to let loose, I think the Disney Jr show is pretty appropriate!

Finding sisters named Brynn and Julia is so cool. And so coincidental.

Well I sure hope the girl at Sci-Fi felt like an idiot when you got a car anyway. Although, maybe to be fair, that's some strange "rule" at the restaurant? And she chose to just read straight from the "rule book" instead of realize, "Oh hey the restaurant's empty. Let's be nice and let them sit wherever..."

I live my life on the rule that there's always room for ice cream. I've employed it a countless number of time. The most recent being 2 days ago.

Another fantastic update despite all the rain! I hope the skies cleared for you later on!

Trip Reports In Progress:

Ooo I'm really scaredd! A Sept 13 TR!
Excuse me, your child can NOT go on stage with Mickey: a January 2013 TR!

Completed: We both got real jobs, now we can go to Disney: Sept 2013 PTR
July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Follow me on Instagram: @courtneyeliizabeth
lvcourtneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #535
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

I stopped back in to say, I just showed DBF your trip video and his response was "ah this video is amazing! Why don't we have kids so we can make one like it?"

Hm. I don't know. Maybe because we need to work on an engagement first? Hahahaha I died a little though! Just wanted to share!

Trip Reports In Progress:

Ooo I'm really scaredd! A Sept 13 TR!
Excuse me, your child can NOT go on stage with Mickey: a January 2013 TR!

Completed: We both got real jobs, now we can go to Disney: Sept 2013 PTR
July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Follow me on Instagram: @courtneyeliizabeth
lvcourtneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #536
jojosam
Mouseketeer

I am having a fantastic time so far on your amazing journey, and your video was beautiful... it may have sparked a tear or 2 as I get more excited for our own trip in September. I am looking forward to tagging along for the rest of your trip!
jojosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #537
merbobear
DIS Veteran

I have to admit that I don't know much about GAC cards, because we have never had a need to use one, so this question might be dumb/ignorant - Why did they have the entire GAC line wait until the guest who couldn't transfer got to the special car? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a wheelchair waiting spot and then have the other guests with GAC go past them until the special car came around, and then it would be the non-transferring guest's turn? It just seems like it would expedite the entire process as well as decrease the chance that the non-transferring guest is sitting there feeling guilty for "making" everyone wait behind them. (not that they should feel guilty, but you know..human nature).

Anyway, that stinks about the ill fitting rain cover. I know a lot of companies make all purpose rain covers that supposedly fit all universally (or more like one style fits "all" joggers, one fits "all double umbrellas" etc). They honestly never fit! There just is no way that a cover is going to fit on all the different brands because they are all built so differently (I work in a baby store and my former position was store trainer, so I have spend a ridiculous amount of time learning about different products and teaching the staff about them. it's *highly inappropriate* how much room in my brain is taken up by baby product knowledge hehe).

I love Julia's logic about winning. I try to convince my dd that she hasn't lost, she just won second (or third...) place! If she doesn't WIN...watch out!

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #538
okw19
DIS Veteran

Hi there! I'm joining in after seeing you over on Dani's TR. Any friend of hers is a friend of mine! I've slowly caught up on your TR over the past couple of days and I am loving it so far! Your kids are adorable and I love your sense of humor. You've definitely convinced me that Hollywood and Vine should be on our list for the next family trip! My daughter just turned 4 and loves some Disney Jr.
Can't wait to read more!

okw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #539
hlrababy
Disney Princess ~Tinkerbell, sprinkle me with your pixie dust~ That castle is mine!!

Hey girl!!!

You want to guess what I had for breakfast this morning??

Yep....cookies!! Savannah Smiles if you will!

You are awesome!!!
hlrababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #540
hlrababy
Disney Princess ~Tinkerbell, sprinkle me with your pixie dust~ That castle is mine!!

Quote:

And then this happened, and my geeky little heart nearly exploded with pride!

Ha ha I love this!!! I tried to get Hollie and Hannah both on it when we were there but the line to get on it was a little bit long.
hlrababy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: