Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
wdwfan22
Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

Just Back - My Thoughts

Well, I am just back last night after 10 days in the World. I don't do trip reports because I am not a great writer or very good photographer. I always forget to take pics cuz I'm caught up in the moment, and when I do take them, they're not that great anyway So I thought I would just jot down some thoughts. It was myself and my husband for our first trip to DW without the kids. We did miss them not being there with us, but had a wonderful time!!

1) It was HOT. and WET. Of the 10 days we were there, 8 had rain. and not just a shower then stop. Everyday it was 90 or close to it and it rained everyday except 2 while we were there. Most days it would cloud up about 4 or 5 and rain all evening. A lot. I talked to lots of locals who said how unusual it was for this time of year to be soooo hot and wet. I have never seen so many sweaty people. We won't be going back this time of year. Some people don't mind the heat and humidity. We learned we aren't one of them.

2) We did not experience a ride being down one time. Not Once. I have read a lot of complaints about this happening, and I'm sure it's just hit or miss, but we missed it. I did see a couple rides reported down on my phone app while there, but we did not encounter it ourselves. I'm also a believer that most of the time when rides go down it's due to stupid people. We heard a lot of announcements during rides to please keep your hands in the vehicle. Which means that stupid people were sticking their hands out where they shouldn't be.

3) We did a lot of rope drops, (since they do openings at all parks except MK different now, not sure what to call this) and that first couple hours is so important, people!! Both days we were at HS 45 min before sceduled opening and did TSM 3 times before our first hour was up. 2 standby and 1 FP. We saw people getting there an hour after park opened saying, "Well, we might as well ride it now, it's the shortest the line will be", with a 45 to 60 min posted time. Yuck. I know some kids are hard to get up and about in the morning, I have one of those, so I can understand, but if its at all possible, get there early!!

4) We love the Pop Century. Especially the bus service. We never waited for more than 5 mins for a bus. I know we had good luck, I have waited longer during other trips, but it worked great for us this time. I love making no other stops to or from parks from the Pop. We rode buses to other resorts for dinners, and it's such a pain that busses for deluxes have to share with so many other resorts. We took a bus from AK to the Yacht Club, and we were I think the third stop, with 2 more after we got off. Those poor people paying so much money for a resort, and taking an hour to get back from a park.
That said, I guess if I had the money for a deluxe, I would rent a car!!

5) We did MNSSHP and it was good. It would have been great if it wasn't POURING for half the party. Everyone was inside someplace just waiting til it wasn't lightning and pouring to go out. We finally decided to brave it since we spent a lot of money on tickets. They were still standing out checking wristbands in the middle of a deluge. I appreciate their efforts. Not sure who would have stayed if they didn't pay money for it, but... We rode Pooh 3 times without having to get out of the car. Then Peter Pan had a 5 minute wait. Nice. But we were soaked, even with a Poncho.

Fireworks finally went off an hour late, the first parade was cancelled, the second was 45 mins late. No headless horseman, of course. I was glad to see them both, but it was frustrating to not be able to plan. They kept saying the parade had been postponed, but everyone ended up waiting around for a couple hours, not knowing if it was going to happen or not. A lot of time wasted that we could have been doing other stuff. I know Disney can't control the weather, I'm not blaming them. It just made for a tough night. I wish I could have seen more costumes, they were covered by ponchos most of the night. We it did stop raining about 10:30, we saw some really good ones. Some CMs gave us less candy than the kids in front of us, like only gave us 2 pieces. Not crazy about that. We paid for our tickets too. But some gave us as much as kids, a whole handful. We managed to fill our bags they gave us. Glad the trick or treat bags held up in the rain. We hit some lines twice. The best was the path between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

I like the party better than the MVMCP, which I have been to three times. The parade was AMAZING. Loved it. The fireworks were great too. Didn't get to see any characters, since I guess they were all inside somewhere and we didn't purse finding them. I was hoping just to walk by and see them from a distance. Wanted to see the Villian show, of course they were cancelled due to the rain. I did see the Villians were in the Tomorrowland Terrace area. I hope to go to another party someday and not have it rain.

6) We did the evening EMHs at MK til 3am. It is as great as people say. Rode Peter Pan at 2:30 with NO ONE in line. It was the only ride we rode with no one in line that would not let us stay on. We had to get off and walk back around. No biggie, just kinda weird when we didn't see another soul all 3 times we rode it. Some other rides that we rode during the trip that had no line let us stay on. The ones I remember were Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh, Carousel, People Mover, Teacups, Tower of Terror (took up back up in an elevator) (a real elevator ).

7) We had the regular dining plan. Some of the Places we ate:

Hollywood & Vine breakfast: I know this place gets a bad rap, but we found the breakfast good. Not that different from any other character breakfast and worth it to us.

Big River Grille lunch: Love this place. The Beer Cheese soup blows Canada's away, IMHO. Love not having to make ADRs for someplace. Nice break from HS.

Biergarten: We always love this place. The show seemed a little shorter than in past years??

Yachsman Steakhouse: Our steaks were amazing. Really disapointed they did not have the surf and turf on the menu.

Plaza Restaurant: Definitely one of my favorites. Not the best value for the dining plan, but if not on the dining plan, the best out of pocket value. I could not finish my club sandwich. It was HUGE. Delicious. We paid oop.

1900 Park Fare breakfast: Good. Characters were good. Breakfast was good. Not as great as years past.

Whispering Canyon dinner: Platter was good. We ate a lot. Bottomless Caramel milkshake was amazing.

Sci-Fi Dine Inn: Menu was different that on allears.net. They had the ribs. I had the shrimp pasta, and it was one of my best meals. I think there was as much shrimp as pasta on my plate. Delicious. I could not finish it. Husband had the steak. He loved it and the mashed potatos.

Crystal Palace lunch: Selection didn't seem as big as years past, but what there was was great.

Cape May Cafe dinner: A first for us. But not a last. We will be back. yummy.

Overall thoughts of dining: We are not foodies, we like mostly your more basic meals. My husband could live on steak and potatoes. But we still found the overall selection and quality of food down from years past. We found some of the characters at character meals just passed us right by. Some waived and kept walking, some just walked on by, even though I had my camera on the table. We tried to stop the ones we could, but just let some go. I know we could found the handlers and asked them, but it wasn't worth making a big deal over. Just curious.

Ok, I am going to stop here before I think of more. I did not mean to write so much!! I hope any of it helps someone.

Any questions? Feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer anything I can!!

Disneyland - 1968 - 1982 - too many times to count; June 1984; June 1986; summer 1991; summer 1993; July 6 - 11 2003; November 11 - 20 2010; April 29 - May 3 2011; Feb 3 - 8 2012
Disney World - February 1983; August 1988; April 29 - May 9 1999; Nov 30 - Dec 10 2001; Jan 3 -12 2007; Dec 9 - 21 2008; Dec 2 - 8 2009; Sep 30 - Oct 9 2012
Disney World - Jan 2 - 12 2014 Yea!!
wdwfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
lucas
°o°

Great report, love the details! Thanks for posting.

Sorry about the rain - that sucks. But it sounds like you still had a good time.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan22 View Post
We found some of the characters at character meals just passed us right by. Some waived and kept walking, some just walked on by, even though I had my camera on the table. We tried to stop the ones we could, but just let some go. I know we could found the handlers and asked them, but it wasn't worth making a big deal over. Just curious.
Attention Character Meal cast members -- everybody pays extra to enjoy the Character Meal, and everybody deserves character interaction. WDW is for the kid in everyone; please don't short-change those who didn't bring their outer kids with them. Rest assured that their inner kids are just as excited to see you...
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
5) We did MNSSHP and it was good. It would have been great if it wasn't POURING for half the party. Everyone was inside someplace just waiting til it wasn't lightning and pouring to go out. We finally decided to brave it since we spent a lot of money on tickets. They were still standing out checking wristbands in the middle of a deluge. I appreciate their efforts. Not sure who would have stayed if they didn't pay money for it, but... We rode Pooh 3 times without having to get out of the car. Then Peter Pan had a 5 minute wait. Nice. But we were soaked, even with a Poncho.

Fireworks finally went off an hour late, the first parade was cancelled, the second was 45 mins late. No headless horseman, of course. I was glad to see them both, but it was frustrating to not be able to plan. They kept saying the parade had been postponed, but everyone ended up waiting around for a couple hours, not knowing if it was going to happen or not. A lot of time wasted that we could have been doing other stuff. I know Disney can't control the weather, I'm not blaming them. It just made for a tough night. I wish I could have seen more costumes, they were covered by ponchos most of the night. We it did stop raining about 10:30, we saw some really good ones. Some CMs gave us less candy than the kids in front of us, like only gave us 2 pieces. Not crazy about that. We paid for our tickets too. But some gave us as much as kids, a whole handful. We managed to fill our bags they gave us. Glad the trick or treat bags held up in the rain. We hit some lines twice. The best was the path between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

I like the party better than the MVMCP, which I have been to three times. The parade was AMAZING. Loved it. The fireworks were great too. Didn't get to see any characters, since I guess they were all inside somewhere and we didn't purse finding them. I was hoping just to walk by and see them from a distance. Wanted to see the Villian show, of course they were cancelled due to the rain. I did see the Villians were in the Tomorrowland Terrace area. I hope to go to another party someday and not have it rain.
October 4, right?

I wish we'd known the Villians were in the Tomorrowland Terrace. The only ones my DD saw were Pooh & Friends after the second parade.

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Nice trip report- I'm a big fan of the one post variety.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
nansmama
DIS Veteran

We were there at the same time as you, so it was fun to read your review. It did rain A LOT. We ended up waiting it out most times and were rewarded by lower crowds following the rain. But yeah, the humidity was terrible and not fun.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
MomRN
DIS Veteran

My guess was also going to be Oct 4...we were there also. However, my husband had heard of several people requesting and getting refunds, so he went to guest services to ask about it. We were given a whole refund, no questions asked. I felt somewhat guilty as we did see the fireworks, parade, and get candy... but only did about 25% of what we would have had the weather been better.

Yes... it was hot, humid, and rainy! Nexy year, if I swing a trip after DL in the summer for ds birthday... I'm thinking we will go in Nov or Dec!
MomRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Not trying to convince you to go this same time of year or anything, but all that rain and heat does not sound typical for this time of year. We were there in September last year and had the same heat which is normal for September, and were warned that it would rain every day but it didn't rain once. I debated between September and October while planning and almost went for October for the lower chance of rain and cooler temps, based on everything I researched. I guess it just goes to show how unpredictable FL weather can be
nkereina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We found some of the characters at character meals just passed us right by. Some waived and kept walking, some just walked on by, even though I had my camera on the table. We tried to stop the ones we could, but just let some go. I know we could found the handlers and asked them, but it wasn't worth making a big deal over.
I hope this is an exception and not the norm. We'll be two adults for our trip and I booked 5 different character meals, all characters me and my mom love. It'll be a bummer if they decide that because we are childless we don't deserve the same amount of attention.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
KapBoy77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Attention Character Meal cast members -- everybody pays extra to enjoy the Character Meal, and everybody deserves character interaction. WDW is for the kid in everyone; please don't short-change those who didn't bring their outer kids with them. Rest assured that their inner kids are just as excited to see you...
This.
KapBoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
Mrbruin2k
Earning My Ears

We were there for 10 days as well getting back this past Monday. Same experiences but with 3 little ones, so needless to say a hard vacation. Rain and heat/humidity was horrible.
2011 - Polynesian
2012 - Beach Club
2013 - Aulani
2013 - BLT
2014 - Villas Grand Floridian
2014 - BLT

Mrbruin2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
wdwfan22
Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
Great report, love the details! Thanks for posting.

Sorry about the rain - that sucks. But it sounds like you still had a good time.
Yes, we still had a good time. Oh and I forgot to put I was sick as a dog the first half of the trip. Make the heat even worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Thanks for posting this. Hopefully it will help someone next time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madge View Post
October 4, right?

I wish we'd known the Villians were in the Tomorrowland Terrace. The only ones my DD saw were Pooh & Friends after the second parade.

Yes, Oct 4. I think I read on the MNSSHP map that they would be in Tomorrowland Terrace in case of bad weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71 View Post
Nice trip report- I'm a big fan of the one post variety.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama View Post
We were there at the same time as you, so it was fun to read your review. It did rain A LOT. We ended up waiting it out most times and were rewarded by lower crowds following the rain. But yeah, the humidity was terrible and not fun.
It did rain a lot, didn't it. The lines were great while it was raining, but I was surprised really how many people waited it out. I think it's because it was raining too hard to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomRN View Post
My guess was also going to be Oct 4...we were there also. However, my husband had heard of several people requesting and getting refunds, so he went to guest services to ask about it. We were given a whole refund, no questions asked. I felt somewhat guilty as we did see the fireworks, parade, and get candy... but only did about 25% of what we would have had the weather been better.

Yes... it was hot, humid, and rainy! Nexy year, if I swing a trip after DL in the summer for ds birthday... I'm thinking we will go in Nov or Dec!
I didn't hear anyone talking about refunds. Not sure if I would have asked for one or not. I agree with you, maybe we got about 25% worth of activities. I have been in December and its nice. Can be cool, but its better to bundle up, then roast (for me, anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Not trying to convince you to go this same time of year or anything, but all that rain and heat does not sound typical for this time of year. We were there in September last year and had the same heat which is normal for September, and were warned that it would rain every day but it didn't rain once. I debated between September and October while planning and almost went for October for the lower chance of rain and cooler temps, based on everything I researched. I guess it just goes to show how unpredictable FL weather can be
We did have a lot of locals tell us it was unusual. I might try again, cuz I really want to try that Halloween party again, but I won't get my husband there in the fall again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBC80 View Post
I hope this is an exception and not the norm. We'll be two adults for our trip and I booked 5 different character meals, all characters me and my mom love. It'll be a bummer if they decide that because we are childless we don't deserve the same amount of attention.
If the character interaction was more important to us, I would have said something. I know the handler will make sure they get back to you if they missed you, I just didn't feel like pursuing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapBoy77 View Post
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbruin2k View Post
We were there for 10 days as well getting back this past Monday. Same experiences but with 3 little ones, so needless to say a hard vacation. Rain and heat/humidity was horrible.
The weather was brutal. One of the nights it didn't rain much was the 3am EMH and I couldn't believe how hot it still was at 3am. I know it made for some miserable kids that I saw. Although I was amazed at the energy a lot I saw still had. I think it's harder on the parents dealing with kids in the heat/humidity than it is on the kids

Disneyland - 1968 - 1982 - too many times to count; June 1984; June 1986; summer 1991; summer 1993; July 6 - 11 2003; November 11 - 20 2010; April 29 - May 3 2011; Feb 3 - 8 2012
Disney World - February 1983; August 1988; April 29 - May 9 1999; Nov 30 - Dec 10 2001; Jan 3 -12 2007; Dec 9 - 21 2008; Dec 2 - 8 2009; Sep 30 - Oct 9 2012
Disney World - Jan 2 - 12 2014 Yea!!
wdwfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
Celidh
DIS Veteran

We were at WDW Sept. 29th to Oct. 7th. We were lucky and went to the party on Tuesday instead of thursday. It still rained but not as much. We were at HS that night instead. A CM mentioned something about a "raincheck" when we mentioned rain at the party but we said we were there on Tuesday, not the night it absolutely poured.

I knew I could expect hot weather but was a bit surprised when it was no cooler this year than it was on our first trip last year a month earlier. Still, hot as it was, it is still Disney and I was happy to be there.

We did two character meals and got to meet all the characters but they were pretty quick at our table (two adults).

We stayed at CSR but decided we, like you, love Pop.

Celidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
madge
... is soaking in it

a note about the weather -- last week was not typical for the first week of October. we've gone the same week every year since 1999, and only one other year did we have this kind of rain and humidity. (I think that may have been tropical in nature, if I'm remembering correctly) In fact, last year the weather was fantastic. it was pleasant nearly the whole week .. until the tropical system rolled in on October 7-8. That sort of stunk. LOL.

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

We have been here since last Thur. And have had a wonderful time so far. The one night that it was raining we were having dinner at California Grill so missed all that. I felt bad for the people at the party. I was glad to hear that they were exchanging people's tickets for other nights of the party. I have been amazed at the number of people here this week, I did not know that so many schools had breaks this week. We have been coming to the F&W festival for years but it is usually the third week in Oct. Thans for the report.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: