Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

Halloween and Apartments?

For those that live/have lived in an apartment complex at Halloween, do the kids generally trick-or-treat within the complex? I've never lived in an apartment at Halloween before, and i'm not sure if I should be prepared for trick-or-treaters or not. Don't want to waste the money on candy if they don't go around, but don't want to have the keep the lights off and hide out all night if they do, lol.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Ask the rental office. At my last apartment building, they gave out a paper sign to hang on your door if you wanted trick-or-treaters to stop by. The rules were that all kids had to be accompanied by parents, and they could only knock on doors that had the signs.

I thought that was a great way to handle it.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
lizabu
DIS Veteran

You should ask. At my parents building there is no trick or treating apartment to apartment. They don't want kids screaming and running up and down the halls. Instead tenants donate candy and volunteers set up a table in the lobby. Kids come in and trick or treat in the lobby and then leave. I suppose if you're a tenant and you want to watch but you don't want to volunteer you can always turn on the lobby cam channel and watch the kids come in and out in their costumes.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

When my wife and I used to have a place in Manhattan, I don't remember a single kid who ever came by our apartment on Halloween for Tricks or Treats in all the years we lived there. I suppose the super may have done somthing in the lobby, but nothing we ever heard of. We'd generally hang out until 10pm before heading down to the Village, so chances are, unless your apartment has announced something, I wouldn't expect it. That being said, nothing like stocking up a bit, just in case, and god forbid the kids don't happen by? Enjoy the candy!
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

When I was a kid we used to purposly go over to the apartment complex because you could cover many more doors in a smaller area than if you went door to door at houses LOL--
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

I would ask. Growing up in an apartment building we trick-or-treated in the building. I lived in a garden apartment complex around 10 years ago. People from the neighborhood used to trick-or-treat in the complex because.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

We lived in an apartment complex that was not indoors if that makes sense. I'm meaning that the apartment doors all opened to outside not to an interior hallway.

Anyways, we always had trick or treaters. We didn't have alot but always bought a bag, okay two because my husband would always eat a bag before the trick or treaters.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
You should ask. At my parents building there is no trick or treating apartment to apartment. They don't want kids screaming and running up and down the halls. Instead tenants donate candy and volunteers set up a table in the lobby. Kids come in and trick or treat in the lobby and then leave. I suppose if you're a tenant and you want to watch but you don't want to volunteer you can always turn on the lobby cam channel and watch the kids come in and out in their costumes.
You should ask. I've lived in apartments that did the lobby thing and I've lived in apartments that let kids go door to door.

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Ask the neighbors. This is my first year here but DH has been in this complex 3 or 4 years. He said he has never had any. I am going to buy one bag of something I like in case we get any kids. If not I have candy I like, lol.

Last edited by sissy_ib; 10-10-2012 at 07:31 PM.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
unglygirl
Earning My Ears

Nope our place is too hard to find.
unglygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I lived in a place that had 4 apartments per stairwell -- two up, two down. The kids were too lazy to climb the stairs for the two upstairs apartments, so we didn't get any trick or treaters, while the ground level apartments had lots of them.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Another NY'er here - always trick or treated in the building, as did friends. We'd go to the good buildings and hit the stores on the way between.

A lot of buildings now do the sign-up sheet thing. Benefits everyone.

Most have a sheet in the elevator stating the time frame (usually like 2 or 3 hours), with lines for kids to sign up and + however many friends they want (no parental requirement, never heard of that) and says to put something Halloween-y on your door if you want kids.

That way you can check the sheet to count how many kids you'll be getting, the kids know where to go, and most people give out good stuff because it's neighbours and you can prepare (like no buying masses of stuff just in case, you know the number).

There's also a block near me that does a block party, because the buildings are smaller, so they have people go sit out on their stoops with candy and anyone can go cruise the block, they get a lot of neighbourhood traffic (it's not advertised, you just know if you live nearby). Lots of kids from bigger bldgs do their own bldg and then head there and do the shops in between.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Buy a bag or two, just in case, of stuff you like.

I asked my neighbor yesterday, and he said he didn't have any kids last year. The year before there were just a few. I know there's kids that live in the buildings here, even if it's only a handful of them. He says he still keeps some on hand just in case. So that's what I plan on doing.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

We get a few but we don't open the door to them.

Reason being: there are no windows that face out towards the door. There is a peep hole but it's easy to cover or stand around the corner (our breezeways are set up so there are lots of corners). If it was a kid at the door, we wouldn't see them through the peep hole anyways. On a day when people know strangers will open their door, I am not chancing it.

So I guess I would just say think about the security in your area... have fun and be safe!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: