Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
Disneysince1982
DIS Veteran

Palo brunch

We just got back from our very first cruise. We were on the Sept. 29th Fantasy cruise. Loved it! We did go to the Palo brunch. The service is great. As far as we are concerned the food in the Main Dining rooms is just as good! I'm glad we went once to Palo but have no desire to go again. A little too stuffy for us. You can not wear jeans to Palo or Remy. Definite no no.
Disneysince1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

We never went. And we never found time to use the pools either.
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

PALO IS HORRIBLE! DO NOT MAKE ANY RESERVATION(S) THERE FOR DINNER NOR BRUNCH! hehehehe more ressie times for us Palo lovers hehehehe

OH AND DON'T BOTHER BOOKING THOSE CASTAWAY CAY CABANAS NOR SPA TIMES EITHER, HORRIBLE JUST HORRIBLE.. insert another evil laugh here hehehehe
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We've done 8 cruises to date & have always made it a point hit Palo; Dinner & Brunch. Now with the launch of the Dream & the Fantasy, We do Remy for dinner & Palo for Brunch. For us we just love the atmosphere (& the food) of both restaurants.

But bottom line "to each his or her own" as long as you have a Great Cruise.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I will preface this with the fact that we haven't sailed Disney yet, but we have sailed 8 times in the past. Out of those cruises we have dined at extra cost venues 4 times. We have enjoyed the times that we have chosen this option, but haven't missed it the times we have skipped it.

I do hope to dine at Palo, mainly because of the ability to get a gorgonzola topped filet and a chocolate souffle (two of my favorite dishes in the world), but if we are not able to then I'm sure we will still enjoy dinner. We tend to eat pretty simply at home, tonight was bean burritos, so whatever we are served on the ship will be better than what we would have had at home.

If you have the desire to dine at Palo then the money will be well worth it; if not enjoy the other dining options that are available with no surcharge. Either way, I am quite certain that you will not leave hungry.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I normally don't dine in the upcharge restaurants on other cruise lines. However, I am willing to pay $20 for Palo brunch or dinner on DCL, and I have eaten in Palo on each of my 3 Disney cruises. On the other hand, I am not interested in paying $50/$75 for Remy brunch/dinner.

On my upcoming December Fantasy cruise, I will eat at Palo for brunch and dinner! However, my idea of penny-wise and yours probably differ, because I almost always book the least expensive cabin category on the ship.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #22
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

We look at the fee of dining at Palo as just another excursion fee it is someting we enjoy and are willing to pay for it
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #23
clten
DIS Veteran

Whether it is worth the upcharge is really a personal preference. We get comped Palo and we still don't go every cruise. We go to brunch more often than dinner (I do like the Chicken Parm). But I don't find the food that overwhelmingly fantastic that it is a must do -- it is better than the MDRs but they are cooking for a much smaller crowd. So we'll do Palo dinner once every 4-5 cruises and Palo brunch maybe once every 3-4 cruises. The service we have gotten (barring our one Palo on the Dream) has been fantastic. But if we have good tablemates and a good serving team, we'd much rather be in the MDR than at Palo.

And they do stick to the dress code, although they are polite about it if you show up not meeting it.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Granted we are 'foodies' but the food in the MDR's for us is acceptable but certainly forgettable. Palo is somewhat better but Remy is head and shoulders above anything else on the ship between quality, service and attention to detail. For what we pay for these cruises, the dining should be superb
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #25
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
PALO IS HORRIBLE! DO NOT MAKE ANY RESERVATION(S) THERE FOR DINNER NOR BRUNCH! hehehehe more ressie times for us Palo lovers hehehehe

OH AND DON'T BOTHER BOOKING THOSE CASTAWAY CAY CABANAS NOR SPA TIMES EITHER, HORRIBLE JUST HORRIBLE.. insert another evil laugh here hehehehe
Did anyone else notice what number post this was of hers? 13,333... I'm thinking it should've been 13,666! kidding... that's cute
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #26
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

I've managed to sneak in a brunch or dinner at Palo on all three of my previous cruises, but have been thinking that I won't bother on the next one. When I traveled without my kids (a girls' cruise) it was lovely to have the fancy dinner and all the time to chat with my girlfriends, but when we had the kids with us we just kind of missed them. Vacations for us are definitely family time, and sitting at the table having a nice meal is one of the ways we all really like to connect. On our last cruise in particular DH and I went to Palo for brunch and our kids went to see a movie - and later I really wished I had seen the movie too, we so rarely get to do that kind of thing now that our kids are teens.

I do think the food and service at Palo is super - and if my kids were small and not getting closer every day to leaving me for college I might be heading in a different direction with my decision!
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #27
Huey duck
Earning My Ears

I feel that it is more than $20 per person technically because you have paid for mdr as part of cruise cost and if you skip there to eat at Palo you have to add in that cost as well. With that in mind we are just eating in mdr. In my opinion Palo and Remy would be best utilized by frequent cruisers (I am not) who have had their fill of all of the included in the cruise cost meals. I see no reason to do it yet. I have family members in cities like San Fransisco, live in a resort community, and travel to other large cities for work where I can eat a nice fancy meal when I want
Huey duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #28
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
Did anyone else notice what number post this was of hers? 13,333... I'm thinking it should've been 13,666! kidding... that's cute
What's even funnier is if you add together my 3 screen names (prior due to marriages etc) that post was actually 66,666!!

Hoping to try Remy when we cruise the Fantasy...waiting for 2014.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

We did brunch so we wouldn't miss dinner in the dining rooms or dinner with our DD. Plus, at 11:30am, I didn't feel like I was missing out on the 'free' lunch on the ship (hot dog, hamburger, buffet food, etc). We normally don't partake much in the $$ add ons when we cruise either, but in this case it was well worth it! So yummy!

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #30
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

We for sure aren't going. While we enjoy cruising other lines (this is our first disney cruise) dh is looking forward to the dressiest thing he has to wear are jeans. The last cruise we went on, he was so upset about packing suits and stuff, even though he thoroughly enjoys it while we are there.

That will be a pleasure we will have to forgo this time.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: