Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
megsoro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post
Hello everyone, and thanks for all of the thoughts.

Mostly it's for work related stuff, with occasional gaming or graphics/video stuff sprinkled in. My existing dual-core 4gb system that I've been using about 4 years now is just starting to show it's age, and can't handle to load I'm throwing at it any longer.

I know pretty well the basic specs I'm after (Core-i7, 8+gb), but am still waffling on a few other things. Debating on either just a simple 750GB or a dual HD 128SSD and larger classic drive. Also, still a bit unsettled on screen size, whether a 15.x or a 17.x; I've seen a few that can go as high as full 1080p resolution, but I wouldn't want that on a 15", only a 17".

(Would love any thoughts on the above two issues, just to help me still not make up my mind. ha!)

I'm not too worried about support... except for basic hardware functionality; I'll be wiping the OS immediately, and probably replacing drives and/or ram eventually anyway.

I'll look a bit more at Sager, they're new to me... I like the ability to customize
If you're comfortable upgrading yourself, buy the cheapest laptop with the processor you want. Then use a website like Newegg Tigerdirect, etc to order RAM and Hard drive upgrades. It will end up being a lot cheaper.

17" in a beast, and not really mobile, as has been stated. I find my 15" macbook pro cumbersome, but like you, I liked the screen real estate. Remember another option- Hooking up an external monitor when you're home (for gaming, video editing, etc). Awesome HD 1080p monitors can be had under $200. Many newer laptops have HDMI ports built right in, so all you'd need is a cheap cable from Monoprice or Amazon.

As for SSD vs HDD- How much space do your games take up? Remember, you can't completely fill your harddrive, you'll have a really sluggish computer if you do. I'm planning on putting a 500GB SSD on my macbook pro, because frankly, the performance boost from an SSD is way better than anything else I've seen. You can always use an external harddrive for working space with video files, etc. These are so small these days, I consider a laptop with an SSD and an external harddrive to be very portable.

So my final vote would be: buy for the processor, upgrade yourself, stay 15", but possibly get an external monitor (I have a 22" ASUS), go SSD if you can. 8GB RAM is pretty good for most non adobe video editing applications, but 16GB RAM will be an awesome boost.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #17
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

My DH is an IT guy and his go to is Dell. DD16 is using a Dell laptop DH bought 7 years ago (yes, it has been upgraded and things replaced), but it is a workhorse. I have had e HP laptops crap out on me since, and HP support is garbage. DH's last laptop was an ASUS, and he had so many problems iwth it, that they couldn't fix, so he sent it back.

Dell has excellent support, and they come to your home! Heck he had issues with his Dell and we were flying to WDW, and they sent someone to our hotel!

Go with Dell. Oh, also buy the laptop with an Amex or other credit card that will extend your warranty for free!
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsoro View Post
So my final vote would be: buy for the processor, upgrade yourself, stay 15", but possibly get an external monitor (I have a 22" ASUS), go SSD if you can. 8GB RAM is pretty good for most non adobe video editing applications, but 16GB RAM will be an awesome boost.
All excellent suggestions. I think I'm all but convinced that 15" is better than 17" for the increased portability of it, among other things. I'm aiming at a dual HD scenario with a reasonable sized SSD for boot/apps and a larger spindle drive for larger storage needs. (It's actually not games so much as work files, graphics, and that sort of stuff that just accumulates over time) I've actually got (multiple) monitors already, that I could use if I needed... so yeah, 17" probably isn't all that necessary.

You are 100% spot on with the suggestion to upgrade the components myself, I think. From what I've looked around, the cost of various upgrades to drives and ram especially, are at best inconsistent... and usually very over inflated.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
megsoro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post
All excellent suggestions. I think I'm all but convinced that 15" is better than 17" for the increased portability of it, among other things. I'm aiming at a dual HD scenario with a reasonable sized SSD for boot/apps and a larger spindle drive for larger storage needs. (It's actually not games so much as work files, graphics, and that sort of stuff that just accumulates over time) I've actually got (multiple) monitors already, that I could use if I needed... so yeah, 17" probably isn't all that necessary.

You are 100% spot on with the suggestion to upgrade the components myself, I think. From what I've looked around, the cost of various upgrades to drives and ram especially, are at best inconsistent... and usually very over inflated.
Yes! I upgrade all my computers myself (macs included) and have built several desktops from scratch (never a laptop though... one day, haha!)I have seen many people take out optical drives and put the second HDD or SSD there. Sometimes that is the only place to put it on a laptop.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsoro View Post
Yes! I upgrade all my computers myself (macs included) and have built several desktops from scratch (never a laptop though... one day, haha!)I have seen many people take out optical drives and put the second HDD or SSD there. Sometimes that is the only place to put it on a laptop.
I'm hoping to get one that has two HD bays, in a perfect world, though I'm not against pulling my optical drive if needed. I too have built quite a few desktops; a laptop is a bit more challenging as you note I'm glad I posted on here to get a few different viewpoints, keep me from doing something crazy and all
Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

My DH has retired from IBM, but what do we both have? Mac book Air Sorry you have ruled them out - they are the greatest, and service/support is too
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
My DH has retired from IBM, but what do we both have? Mac book Air Sorry you have ruled them out - they are the greatest, and service/support is too
That may be true... I've found Apple support to usually be pretty good, though I've had a notable exception or two along the way.

Nonetheless, some of the specifics I've offered pretty easily show why Mac isn't a sensible choice, at least for me.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
I love my MAC and use it for pretty much everything.

That said I'm taking a computer class and we have to use Office 10 and there is now Office 10 for MAC. I've caved into buying a cheapie laptop just for certain classes. It stinks a little since the software isn't always the same.

December 2-8, 2014- Saratoga Springs Resort- Mommy only holiday time trip
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
goofy's_gurl
DIS Veteran

I would suggest getting a Sony Vaio. I currently bought one after many people kept bragging about them and I am happy with my purchase.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: