DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
wdwdano@yahoo.com
Theme Park Commando

Is it wrong?

Is it wrong that I want to pay off my dvc and credit loan so that I can get an add on?

My second question is:

I have a humble 180 points and I was conflicted on buying 50 or 75 points? What would you do?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwdano@yahoo.com View Post
Is it wrong that I want to pay off my dvc and credit loan so that I can get an add on?
Not at all, I think that's a great idea.

Quote:
My second question is:

I have a humble 180 points and I was conflicted on buying 50 or 75 points? What would you do?
Buy the amount I would use at DVC resorts only and could pay cash for likely at GF when it's announced coming up if I were going retail. I'd look at resale to see what was available and what the differences were.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
wdwdano@yahoo.com
Theme Park Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Not at all, I think that's a great idea.

Buy the amount I would use at DVC resorts only and could pay cash for likely at GF when it's announced coming up if I were going retail. I'd look at resale to see what was available and what the differences were.
Lol thanks. I am looking to animal kingdom. I have heard that if you get less then a hundred points you can't trade out of dvc for world passport.. Is that true?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwdano@yahoo.com

Lol thanks. I am looking to animal kingdom. I have heard that if you get less then a hundred points you can't trade out of dvc for world passport.. Is that true?
All DVC owners can trade out via RCI. I think with less than 100 pts your options will be seriously limited, as most RCI trades are by week, not by day. So you just wouldn't have enough points to trade without banking or borrowing. But your current 180 pts should be plenty to trade out to RCI if you wish.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
akl-fan
DIS Veteran

I think am right in saying (Dean correct me if I am wrong) that all points can be used for world passport. Either direct or re-sale. Under 100 or over 100 it does not matter. Resale points cannot be used for Cruises, Adventures and Disney collection. I
f you only want to stay at DVC resorts and trade into world passport then resale would be the way to go. It is worth knowing that trades into world passport are seldom seen as good value. That however is a decision for you to make. You can get AKV way below the direct price which is not around $145 per point.
akl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
wdwdano@yahoo.com
Theme Park Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom

All DVC owners can trade out via RCI. I think with less than 100 pts your options will be seriously limited, as most RCI trades are by week, not by day. So you just wouldn't have enough points to trade without banking or borrowing. But your current 180 pts should be plenty to trade out to RCI if you wish.

That's great to know! Thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's great to know! Thanks
I would not buy to exchange, period. If that's you're thinking, you should reconsider and look at other options. For the numbers you're looking at the $$ amounts for retail vs resale may or may not be enough to justify the resale, just look at the costs of each and compare but don't worry about the resale restrictions.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
wdwdano@yahoo.com
Theme Park Commando

Quote:
I would not buy to exchange, period. If that's you're thinking, you should reconsider and look at other options. For the numbers you're looking at the $$ amounts for retail vs resale may or may not be enough to justify the resale, just look at the costs of each and compare but don't worry about the resale restrictions.
I haven't used it that way but I would love the option to trade through rci if I wanted to go skiing in Colorado
Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I haven't used it that way but I would love the option to trade through rci if I wanted to go skiing in Colorado
But that's why I mentioned it. Getting a good ski week is next to impossible and at best, risky and not guaranteed. IMO it's unreasonable to buy extra points for this potential option. Better to save the money and pay cash for the other items or for some, to look at an alternative timeshare option.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
wdwdano@yahoo.com
Theme Park Commando

Quote:
But that's why I mentioned it. Getting a good ski week is next to impossible and at best, risky and not guaranteed. IMO it's unreasonable to buy extra points for this potential option. Better to save the money and pay cash for the other items or for some, to look at an alternative timeshare option.
One can dream.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One can dream.
Sure but you don't want to invest thousands of dollars up front and commit to yearly fees in the $300-500 range just for a dream do you?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
wdwdano@yahoo.com
Theme Park Commando

I have already invested that much. The real question is do I want to invest more than that. Yes please.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwdano@yahoo.com
I have already invested that much. The real question is do I want to invest more than that. Yes please.
Yep, this one drank the Kool-Aid!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
wdwdano@yahoo.com
Theme Park Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom

Yep, this one drank the Kool-Aid!

Yep, I have some very dear memories there. I know there are many more to discover!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Of course you can do whatever you wish, you asked what we would do. How much you've invested is not the issue. The issue, as I see it, is how many points will you reasonably need/use at DVC resorts only. If that's 180 roughly, you do not need more points, if it's more, you may need more if you so chose. There are always options to stretch the points though. Buying more and then throwing them at options that cost FAR more buying points to use than cash (DCL, DC, CC, ABD) or for options that require effort, education, significant planning and are far from guaranteed (RCI, BVTC) does not make sense to me personally.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: