Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
I do think it's funny that some people keep getting chosen over and over again, while others are never chosen. My father and sister seem to be picked every few years. Me? My husband? Never.

I bet I'll probably get one in the mail today, since I said that.
Yes, but I don't know why this is. When we lived in Key Largo, I was chosen again and again. Even when we move to St. Petersburg I got another forwarded notice. My husband and friends were never picked.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
...practice with me "All lawyers lie, Doctors are never wrong, anyone who drinks should get put away for life, I think all bankers are criminals" etc, etc.
If i ever get picked i putting this on a tee shirt under the heading, "Mantras to live by...". plus, those who look guilty - are
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

I can sympathize. Not to hijack the thread, but I recently received a questionnaire from the federal district court in CT. Hopefully, having moved to MA over a year ago will disqualify me. If not, I'm sort of agoraphobic, I've had some major medical issues over the past year and I'm also about to start IVF; I'm doing tests every day and if it comes out positive, I need to be available to the doctor at a moment's notice. I put all of this on my questionnaire...fingers are crossed.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
rynosmom
Mouseketeer

Several Years ago my DH was called for Grand Jury Duty and he was told that everyone must show up to the selection. they call about 100 people to fill about 20 spots. The judge asked for volunteers 1st than picked from those who would be paid by their employer. One guy who worked for the Postal Service tried to get excused and the judge told him no way! lucky for DH never made it to those who wouldn't be paid.
rynosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

My DH is a jury duty magnet~!

He once had Federal AND state jury duty in the same week!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
Angry Eyes
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all of the responses. It's in the mail, so all I can do is wait it out. I will let you know what happens.
Angry Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

You guys who get a 3 year break are lucky, in CA if you're called they can call you again the next year. :/ I get called yearly......

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #23
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I was summoned for County jury duty appox 2 yrs ago. I know the courthouse/judge we had asked if anyone had served on jury in last 2 yrs i believe. one person said yes fed and was excused. The hardship, don't wanna be there didn't fly day I was there. I never got to point of being called up for questioning but I figure had I'd been the knowing law enforcemenmt would have sprung me.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #24
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

My daughter is going to be 13 next month so I expect the week after her birthday to get a notice LOL- when she was about 1 I got a questionnaire that said "do you have a child 12 or under whose physical or mental well being would be jeopardized if you served jury duty" I checked off "yes" and haven't heard from them in 12 years....I am sure that will soon be ending. I am ok with that and I really wish I would get picked for grand jury where you have to show up for the entire month or more, I get paid from my job full pay so it doesn't really matter to me if I go there or jury duty. I wouldn't mind at this point to have to serve for months LOL- beats going to work.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #25
fall08CP
Cheesehead

I've never been summoned.. knock on wood! I no longer live in my listed state of residence (I move every 6 months so I leave it at my parents' as I'm not married). One day I'd love to sit on a jury; I genuinely feel it's our civic duty. Just remember, it could always be you on the other end one day!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #26
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
I do think it's funny that some people keep getting chosen over and over again, while others are never chosen. My father and sister seem to be picked every few years. Me? My husband? Never.

I bet I'll probably get one in the mail today, since I said that.
I never get called. I know people who get called every year at the same time.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
lisalis
Mouseketeer

I feel for your situation & hope you don't get called. The year I quit my teaching job & started subbing, I got called for jury duty. I had already put it off three years before because I had a newborn. I tried to get out of it based on the fact that I would have to pay someone to watch my son- my neighbors all work & no family was close at the time. No go, so I had to go down town for jury duty. Not only that, I got put on the jury for a murder trial which lasted a few weeks. Child care was not a good enough reason to get off duty. So, I paid for child care, missed out on teaching income, and had to pay for my own lunch every day for two weeks. I think we got paid maybe $35 a day or something piddly like that. We did not take long enough deliberating to even get a free lunch! I'm not one to lie, but in the future I need to come up with some reason that I won't make a good member of the jury!
lisalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #28
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

i had this happen to me a few years ago. i was in retail, full time, part time. since i did not know if i was going to have to go in they couldn't put me on shifts for 3 days. every morning i called in and it told me my group was not needed and to call back the next day. then every day i called work to tell them i could cover if someone had called out and no one did. it sucked to get up at the crack of dawn for three days only to find out i was missing out on work and $$$ to stay home.

in NJ its every 3 years. my friend got picked for a small civil case and was happy to do it to get out of it for 3 years after it. she is a nurse and there is always someone to cover her shift so she can't get out. she has not heard from them since.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #29
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Only once every 3 years here in Maryland too. My friend got called and then got called again a month later. Her address is slightly different on her voter registration and her driver's license which caused this to happen. One quick telephone call cleared it up. It's worth a try.

disney1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #30
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

I would love to serve on a jury but never will. I'm a trial lawyer so no one wants me.

What sucks is that when I was away at school, I got a jury summons every 3 months and each time, would call and say that I'm temporarily residing out of the county. That kept up for almost a year and then I went years without getting one. The next time I got one, I was already an attorney and the day I got it for, I was on trial so I got it continued and apparently got put on the "do not summons" list when I called with my excuse because I haven't gotten a jury summons for state court since. I did get a federal summons a year ago and had to call in every day for 2 weeks. The days I was there, I never made it to the box for questioning and found out later they put me at the end as a "last resort" as a professional courtesy. The better courtesy would have been putting me int he box first so I could be excused with the thanks of the court early. Grrrr.

But I really would love to serve. I think it would be very educational and helpful in my own trial work. I know what I pick and don't pick in a juror and it would be cool to see how it plays out behind closed doors.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: