Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Cash at Disney

Any tips/ideas for using cash at Disney? We've been saving cash and I figured I'd just leave it out instead of using the card. I'm tempted to spend more with the card but it's much harder for me to part with cash.
June 2013: DisneyLand with my family & sister's family!
December 2014: 1st Cruise (Dream) with WDW stay at AKL
Andrea464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Not sure what you are asking. You pay for things with cash the same way you would any where else.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
littlebit0863
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
Not sure what you are asking. You pay for things with cash the same way you would any where else.
When I went on a vacation last year with all cash, I split up my cash in envelope between my days, including travel days. Of course I spent less on travel days, so the first real vacation day I had a little extra. Just say for example you have $1000 and are on a 10 day vacation. 10 envelopes of $100. Anything not spent on the first day goes into the next day's envelope. If you feel you must spend over then go ahead and charge your card, but take it from the next day's envelope when you get back to the room. Makes you less likely to overspend.
littlebit0863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Mickey1Fan
He had five fingers and was wearing white gloves

We only use cash when we go on vacation. It is much easier to stay within budget and I write down everything I spend each day so I know exactly where it all goes.

In fact I write down every penny I spend each and every day of the year.

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Dreams Take Flight Group Leader 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
http://yyz.dreamstakeflight.ca/
Mickey1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
bpesch
DIS Veteran

I'm sure there must be more to this question than I'm seeing. I am so tempted to answer "just take the cash out of your wallet, hand it to the cashier and viola!".
bpesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
RitaE
DIS Veteran

My only thought is to be extremely careful. One pickpocket and your vacation is ruined.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
BeachLove
Mouseketeer

Personally I would take the cash and get it turned into a Disney giftcard. I would not trust myself to keep hundreds safe in a very busy location.
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
ICF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLove View Post
Personally I would take the cash and get it turned into a Disney giftcard. I would not trust myself to keep hundreds safe in a very busy location.
Nor would I....I never walk around with very much cash.

If you can't behave with a credit card, then I'd guess buying a couple of giftcards for at least 50% of the cash you were planning on bringing for the trip.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

If I remember correctly, we once put cash on our kttw card so we didn't use a cc. Otherwise, I'd do it all on disney gift cards.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
MagiKitty

I'm in shape...shaped like a pear on two sticks

Andrea...I'm the same way. If I'm using cash, I usually think twice about making a purchase rather than a quick swipe of the card. I try to bring larger denominations, usually $50s with me. $100 risks not having change for, and its difficult to keep up with $20s.

You may want to consider using that cash for a prepaid Visa. I don't like getting a Disney gift card, just coz I feel compelled to use it while there. And leftover monies on a Visa prepaid can be used at home also. You will stay within budget but don't risk carrying around a lot of money also. But the hazard is, if you happen to lose your card, anyone can use it.

MagiKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

I don't understand why anyone would put cash on a gift card instead of just carrying the cash. It's not as if a gift card offers any kind of protection from loss or theft.

The envelope method is a good alternative to carrying all of your cash around but it is also vulnerable to loss.

As much as it might help to stay within budget, carrying large amounts of cash is unwise. If I couldn't use a KTTW card because I was staying offsite and if I didn't have a credit card for my purchases, I would look into opening a fee-free check card account like ING's Electric Orange checking account or some other bank. You can use the check card to pay for everything or make ATM withdrawals. And you can set the account up so that you cannot overdraw it.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

I would take the amount I need each day and put the rest in the safe.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpesch View Post
I'm sure there must be more to this question than I'm seeing. I am so tempted to answer "just take the cash out of your wallet, hand it to the cashier and viola!".
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
Ya'll are such smarties. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
Nor would I....I never walk around with very much cash.

If you can't behave with a credit card, then I'd guess buying a couple of giftcards for at least 50% of the cash you were planning on bringing for the trip.
That's a good idea! I had planned on doing a GC at Epcot for F&W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiKitty View Post
Andrea...I'm the same way. If I'm using cash, I usually think twice about making a purchase rather than a quick swipe of the card. I try to bring larger denominations, usually $50s with me. $100 risks not having change for, and its difficult to keep up with $20s.

You may want to consider using that cash for a prepaid Visa. I don't like getting a Disney gift card, just coz I feel compelled to use it while there. And leftover monies on a Visa prepaid can be used at home also. You will stay within budget but don't risk carrying around a lot of money also. But the hazard is, if you happen to lose your card, anyone can use it.
Yep, I'm less likely to spend cash if it's larger amounts as well. A $20 is much easier to break than a $100!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
I don't understand why anyone would put cash on a gift card instead of just carrying the cash. It's not as if a gift card offers any kind of protection from loss or theft.

The envelope method is a good alternative to carrying all of your cash around but it is also vulnerable to loss.

As much as it might help to stay within budget, carrying large amounts of cash is unwise. If I couldn't use a KTTW card because I was staying offsite and if I didn't have a credit card for my purchases, I would look into opening a fee-free check card account like ING's Electric Orange checking account or some other bank. You can use the check card to pay for everything or make ATM withdrawals. And you can set the account up so that you cannot overdraw it.
We've done envelopes at home to help with savings and even some week to week spending (groceries, gas, etc), but haven't done it on vacations yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
I would take the amount I need each day and put the rest in the safe.
Very smart place to put it! I always forget those are there!

Great ideas guys!
June 2013: DisneyLand with my family & sister's family!
December 2014: 1st Cruise (Dream) with WDW stay at AKL
Andrea464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
duckiegirl
Earning My Ears

Actually if you photograph the receipt and the back of the gift card you can get it replaced if lost. Buy Disney gift cards from target using target red card and save 5%.
duckiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #15
heartpooh
Earning My Ears

Does anybody know if you can put cash on the KTTW cards. I don't have a credit card but would like the convienance of using the card to pay for things on resort?!?! Thanks!!
heartpooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: