Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
CorEeyore
Mouseketeer

Is remy worth it!?

Okay Disboarders...serious question. My boyfriend and I are going on the Fantasy in October 2013 and are trying to make a budget. We're both very appreciative of great food and truly enjoyed Palo on our last cruise. We're going to do Palo again for sure but are wondering if we should book Remy.

We aren't the wealthiest of folk, but if there is a general consensus that Remy is DEFINITELY worth it, then we will be sure to make reservations. If we don't do Remy I think we would like to get a spa treatment.

I would LOVE to hear experienced opinions!

CorEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
chateau
DIS Veteran

You can get a massage at home, you cannot experience Remy itself at home... maybe another "fancy" restaurant, but not near close to the price of Remy (in other words, it's a deal).
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
sambycat
DIS Veteran

definitely worth it and more “affordable” then a comparable land experience. and i personally am not a big fan of the extremely pricey and waaayyyyy hard on the upsell DCL spas.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

I agree with chateau and sambycat, Remy is on par with Victoria and Albert's at the Grand Floridian and at half the price. A real bargain.

For me and my DH definitely worth it

I tried the spa on my first DCL cruise and felt it wasn't any better than the Red Door Spa I visit at home

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
CorEeyore
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone! So far it looks like 3 out of 3 day it's worth it!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
MrMom
Mouseketeer

My opinion:

Palo brunch: Great.
Palo dinner: Enjoyable. I could take it or leave it on future cruises.
Remy dinner: Hands down the best meal I've ever had and definitely worth the money.

If you have to choose between the two I would say skip Palo and get a reservation at Remy. Be sure to budget for wine with your dinner.

MrMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

No way would I trade Remy for a spa treatment. No way.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Our entire party thought it was the best meal we have ever had. The experience is so wonderful. All the service and touches were awesome. Love that they bring a little cushioned stool out to put your purse on. Love the way that 5 servers come out at the same time and served us each our meal at the same time. It was like a show. Loved the way they make the champagne cocktail right at the table. Love, love, love the cheese cart. Still dream of the Boeuf de Wagyu and the Paris-Brest on the French menu. Don't miss it.

PS - If you want wine with your meal, consider going to the Meridian lounge at 5:00 the day of your dinner to meet with the sommelier. We had been leaning towards doing the wine pairings at $99 per person. But the sommelier recommended that we do bottles of wine instead. It was a great suggestion. We gave him our budget, our tastes, and how many bottles we wanted. He did a great job. There was 5 of us. The pairings would have been $500 and we would have only received 12 ounces of wine each. We ended up spending $425 for 4 bottles of wine and had twice as much wine. And WOW! It was some of the best wine we have ever had.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
CorEeyore
Mouseketeer

This is all GREAT to hear! Definitely makes our decision easier. Thank you so much to everyone for sharing your experiences and tips!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I can get massages and other spa type things at home for half the cost of getting them on the ship. OK, the ship has the convenience factor....

I can't get anything similar to Remy at home. The only thing to compare to Remy is Victoria and Albert at WDW. If you like food and the decision is spa vs Remy, my choice would be Remy/
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
algae
Mouseketeer

Yeah, dinner at Remy's is worth it. It would be difficult to find food that good at home unless it's at one of those places where reservations are required 3 months in advance and costs about $100 per person before wine. Skip Palo's and head to Remy's.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

We did Remy the same night as Eva and I had the same positive experience. I've only had a few meals equal to Remy, one at the Southampton Princess, Bermuda on our honeymoon, one at Emeril's in New Orleans and the other at Victoria & Alberts.

One suggestion, though. If you are going to do Palo too, do Palo first. Palo is wonderful, but if you let it follow Remy, it wouldn't be fair.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
eva

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometros View Post
One suggestion, though. If you are going to do Palo too, do Palo first. Palo is wonderful, but if you let it follow Remy, it wouldn't be fair.
Good suggestion, Sandy! We ended up canceling Palo because our servers in the MDR were awesome. But I think our family that had never been to Palo may have been let down after such a great experience at Remy.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Euphscott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
All the service and touches were awesome. Love that they bring a little cushioned stool out to put your purse on.
Wait? Women carry purses on cruises?

1 - Why?
2 - Please describe this idea to my wife so that on formal night I don't have the contents of a purse to be in stuffed into the inner pockets of my jacket!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
eva

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphscott View Post
Wait? Women carry purses on cruises?

1 - Why?
2 - Please describe this idea to my wife so that on formal night I don't have the contents of a purse to be in stuffed into the inner pockets of my jacket!
Yes, I have a tiny black sequined wristlet purse that just holds my lipstick, a very tiny 1 oz bottle of lotion, breath strips, a couple Kleenex, and my room card. Tell her to bring a purse to Remy. You don't want to miss out on them bringing out that little stool. It looks like something a crown should sit on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: