DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
baileysgm
Mouseketeer

Unhappy Am I the only one who didn't know this??

We have only been members since 2010 and have used points for both cruises and WDW resorts. BLT is our home resort and I have been on the waiting list for a 1BR standard view for Dec. 21 since August. We are on the Fantasy Christmas cruise and wanted to go to the Christmas party the night before we sailed since we've never been to the park during the holidays.

I knew getting a villa from the waiting list would be a long shot so today I decided to see about a room at the Contemporary...it was way more than I want to spend but an alternative reservation offered was a 1BR standard view at BLT for $800

I called member services and they confirmed that blocks at the vacation club resorts were set aside for cash reservations and not members using points. They wouldn't tell me what the percentage was. Funny...I don't remember anyone mentioning that during the sales pitches!!! Is there any recourse when members can't get a room but you can pay Disney an arm and leg for the same room??? I'm just a little frustrated
baileysgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

One of the behind the scenes effects of belonging to a time share. DVC puts up rooms for cash to offset the use of those points when people use points outside of the DVC resort (cruises, ABD, etc). But I think there are also rooms that Disney will always have for cash at the DVC resorts...I think that is part of the "deal". It is like DVC only has like a 90% ownership and cash (CRO) has the rest.

I know the way I spelled it out sounds stupid--someone will come along and explain it much better than I....but yeah, it is known by members who take the time to investigate.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
XGrumpy1
DIS Veteran

Often the "benefits" DVC pushes so hard during the sales pitch are just really, really hard to take advantage of.
XGrumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Disney or DVD retains ownership of a small percentage (2 - 4%) of the resort so that is one reason why you see the rooms for cash.

They also, as mentioned, have rooms that are available that were traded there by members using the other options.

And, 60 days out, they do release unsued inventory to CRO to be sold as "breakage" and the money given to DVC (which is listed on the annual dues statement).

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
TIGGERmetoo
DIS Veteran

I was aware of that but don't we as DVC members, get a 25% cash discount when booking a CASH reservation for a DVC resort? I may be confused on this though.

Terri

TIGGERmetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGERmetoo View Post
I was aware of that but don't we as DVC members, get a 25% cash discount when booking a CASH reservation for a DVC resort? I may be confused on this though.
The 25% member discount is based on availability and is not always available. Weekends are the nights most available. MS has the responsibility to reserve using points, but if there are times when villas typically go unreserved they may be released for member cash reservations.

As noted, the bulk of DRC cash availability is due to DVC points used for non-DVC options like a DCL cruise, reservations at non-DVC Disney resorts, and points used for the Concierge Collection/Adventure Collection.

There are basically four room inventories used - those owned and controlled by DVC member points, undeclared sale inventory still held by DVD, villas converted to cash availability from points used for non-DVC reservations and the small (2-4%) of villas owned by DVC. The latter are set aside as inventory while maintenance is done on villas but may be released to DRC for cash reservations if not needed as replacement inventory.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileysgm View Post
We have only been members since 2010 and have used points for both cruises and WDW resorts. BLT is our home resort and I have been on the waiting list for a 1BR standard view for Dec. 21 since August. We are on the Fantasy Christmas cruise and wanted to go to the Christmas party the night before we sailed since we've never been to the park during the holidays.

I knew getting a villa from the waiting list would be a long shot so today I decided to see about a room at the Contemporary...it was way more than I want to spend but an alternative reservation offered was a 1BR standard view at BLT for $800

I called member services and they confirmed that blocks at the vacation club resorts were set aside for cash reservations and not members using points. They wouldn't tell me what the percentage was. Funny...I don't remember anyone mentioning that during the sales pitches!!! Is there any recourse when members can't get a room but you can pay Disney an arm and leg for the same room??? I'm just a little frustrated
Understanding and accepting this issue is fundamental to understanding how DVC and timeshares in general work. As mentioned, there are several pots of villas that are not available to DVC members to reserve using points. These include the Breakage, rooms reserved with exchange points and points owned by DVD. It also includes exchanges to RCI and BVTC some of which may also be available for cash through other venue's. In many ways it's no different that say BWI & BWV or similar mixed property locations. Breakage is normally 60 days or less but they have the right to anticipate breakage and reserve it at the 11 month window as well. Most of the 2-4% is simply used for maint, at least the 2%.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Also it is very hard to get anything at BLT, in December especially Standard view at less than 11 to 8 months and probably even at less than 11.

When you used your points for cruises that was paid for by renting a DVC room for cash, also.

You can get a room at the Contemporary for about half that with a passholder rate.

Last edited by Sammie; 10-13-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
We have only been members since 2010 and have used points for both cruises and WDW resorts...an alternative reservation offered was a 1BR standard view at BLT for $800...I called member services and they confirmed that blocks at the vacation club resorts were set aside for cash reservations and not members using points.
the really ironic thing is that it could be some of your pts that you traded for cruises that were used by DVC to book BLT to try to rent for cash.

when you (or another DVC member) trade out for a cruise, DVC has to pay cash to the cruise division. the cruise division does NOT want your pts. so DVC might have booked a 1BR in december with your points in order to rent it for cash in order to pay for your cruise.

many of those rooms "set aside for cash reservations" are already booked on pts (either pts that DVC owns or that they are "managing" to pay for trades out of the system). if you don't like it, maybe DVC will change the rules and you can never trade out for cruises again...but if you want to trade out for cruises or a stay at the poly, DVC needs to turn those pts you trade in into cash to pay the other disney division. and that's part of how they do it...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
ain0004
Mouseketeer

I personally have done this but heard another DVC member on the last cruise. She was a certain spot @ DVC but unavailable. But she was able to get what she wanted with RCI @ a DVC villa. She paid the one time fee to get to the room she wanted. Just a thought.
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ain0004 View Post
I personally have done this but heard another DVC member on the last cruise. She was a certain spot @ DVC but unavailable. But she was able to get what she wanted with RCI @ a DVC villa. She paid the one time fee to get to the room she wanted. Just a thought.
To either exchange in through RCI or pay cash for a Getaway through RCI would require one be an RCI member and thus own another timeshare that was affiliated with RCI.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

I guess we nine or ten knew about it....
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
baileysgm
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone...it make sense now. I still like the option for using some points for cruising so I'll stop complaining!!
baileysgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone...it make sense now. I still like the option for using some points for cruising so I'll stop complaining!!
Timeshares are always a learning experience. There are the rules, then there are the real rules, then there is the law of unintended consequences. Specific to this question, it's not about wanting options but simply realizing that not all units are, or should be, available for member usage.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Quote:
Baileysgm, you could also check availability at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. There is a direct boat to the Magic Kingdom and to the Contemporary and it's not at all hard to "commute" between the resort and the Magic Kingdom. Just a thought...
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: