Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Ajojo
Mouseketeer

Where to put stuff?

Hello all,

We are doing the Western out of Galveston and have a question about shore excursions. At every port we have some type of excursion that involves snorkeling, kayaking, or other beach activity. Where do you leave your bag (with clothes, towels, flip flops...) when you are snorkeling?

Does someone have to stay behind on the beach to watch everyone's stuff?

Thanks!
Ajojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
ravensilverlight
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

When it comes to excursions in the water, we always make sure to take ONLY what we HAVE to. Towels are usually provided, so if they walk, we're wet and upset but not devastated. We also make sure to NOT wear the shoes we're in love with...just in case. The important things (KTTW, $$$, ID, etc.) are a different story altogether!

What I did, was hit up walmart (although any place that has camping supplies probably will have them) and bought a small, waterproof box. Then I bought a fanny pack (function over fashion!) that the box fits in. I put the must-haves in ziploc baggies, then in the box, then in the fanny pack, and I wear it while we're in the water. DH says I'm paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid than wallet-less in a foreign country.

If you're a little less paranoid than I am, most of the time the company running the excursion will have *some* place to keep your stuff. Sometimes it's an actual locker, other times it's an open cubby and you have to just trust people (oh, if only...). It's important to note, MOST people won't mess with your things, but it can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime - so better to not take chances.

I have also seen some DISers recommend Kyss bags - www.kyssbags.com - but I have no first hand experience with them.

HTH!!!

Disney Wonder, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 * Disney Magic, 2011 * Disney Dream, 2013
ravensilverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Ajojo
Mouseketeer

Thank you. I am kinda getting worried that I will be stuck watching the stuff while everyone is in the water snorkeling and having fun.
Ajojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
Hello all,

We are doing the Western out of Galveston and have a question about shore excursions. At every port we have some type of excursion that involves snorkeling, kayaking, or other beach activity. Where do you leave your bag (with clothes, towels, flip flops...) when you are snorkeling?

Thanks!
Like PP, we don't take anything important. KTTW card, ID (driver's license), and cash can all get wet. So, they're either in DH's pocket in his swim trunks or somewhere more private in mine .

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
ravensilverlight
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

It's a vacation...don't worry!

Something as simple as a ziploc baggie tucked in your suit can handle cash, if you want to carry it. Cards can hang out in a secure pocket, lanyard, fanny pack, or what-have-you. If you're super concerned about shoes, you can always get those water shoes and fit the flippers over them (unless you have really big feet anyway, then it might not work for you!). And as I mentioned, most of the water-based excursions will have towels provided for you by DCL - there's usually a nice pile of them where you meet on the ship for your excursion (assuming you're on a DCL excursion, that is!).

I was worried too, and DH STILL laughs when I break out the fanny pack and box and baggies, but he's never complained when the cell phones and wallet come through unharmed.

Disney Wonder, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 * Disney Magic, 2011 * Disney Dream, 2013
ravensilverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
miyta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
Hello all,

Thanks!
We bring grandma who is great for the military discount and doesn't like the water but loves to watch her grandkids have fun!

But if we have the misfortune that grandma doesn't want to vacation with us or we go alone...... I am not very trusting and don't relax if we leave our items on the beach...... So we do the same as pp, waterproof box, ziploc bags, don't bring valuables, don't bring our most treasured flip flops, always have a 2nd pair of flip flops for each of us back on the ship (very light weight, thin ones-- also a back up In case of a shoe emergency and a flip flop breaks.... ) and we swim with anything important to us. Everything back on land is not valuable and can easily be replaced
miyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
nicbic97
Mouseketeer

i bought a drypak to bring things into the water with me becuase I had seen recent posts where people had thier wallets stolen and I didn't want to take that chance. I just left our clothes and shoes in a chair on castaway cay
nicbic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Someone may take my flip flops?
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
miyta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Someone may take my flip flops?
sadly happened to us on one of our cruises.....completely ridiculous werent even very nice shoes -
the ground and sand were burning hot and I had to schlep the kid back to port. I would have preferred handing the person $20 to buy their own shoes
miyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
kdaniels16
Earning My Ears

This is a great thread, thanks for starting. It seems to me that being in a foreign country you would want to have ID on you. Am I just being super paranoid?
kdaniels16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
blaw2
Earning My Ears

Has anyone done the Atlantis Aquaventure? I thought I read somewhere that lockers were available but now can't find the reference. Do they lock if available?
blaw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaniels16 View Post
This is a great thread, thanks for starting. It seems to me that being in a foreign country you would want to have ID on you. Am I just being super paranoid?
You do need your KTTW card and photo ID to get back on the ship. For kids you only need the KTTW card.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaw2 View Post
Has anyone done the Atlantis Aquaventure? I thought I read somewhere that lockers were available but now can't find the reference. Do they lock if available?
We did Atlantis on our own off a Wonder cruise, and yes, they have lockers, with locks. It was really easy but there is a charge for them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: