Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
AnAmericanInDisney
DIS Veteran

To Go Along With Flu, Anyone Following the NHL Mumps Outbreak?

It's weird. Thirteen confirmed cases. They've been immunized. Three of the thirteen had boosters before the Sochi Olympics, and they titre at a level that indicates adequate antibodies.
AnAmericanInDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAmericanInDisney View Post
It's weird. Thirteen confirmed cases. They've been immunized. Three of the thirteen had boosters before the Sochi Olympics, and they titre at a level that indicates adequate antibodies.
Just like with every other immunization out there, it doesn't cover all strains/mutations.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAmericanInDisney View Post
Link?

Please.. Thanks
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDERS View Post
Link?

Please.. Thanks
It's been all over the news/internet.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

https://www.google.com/search?q=NHL+...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 12-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Here's a pretty good summary: Why The NHL Lost Control Of Its Mumps Outbreak:
Quote:
We know that the mumps vaccine unquestionably works—cases in the United States declined by 99 percent following its introduction in 1967—so why is an outbreak in hockey happening now?

Before we speculate, it's useful to know a bit about disease transmission, particularly because it's such a rare disease—I've only seen it a handful of times. Most kids are vaccinated against it twice; first at the age of 1, and again around the age of 5, when they receive the MMR vaccine (measles, mumps, rubella) before starting kindergarten. Mumps is spread in respiratory droplets, often in the form of a sneeze. Symptoms can take up to three weeks to develop, which means many players might have the virus in their body today but won't know it until tomorrow. Or next week. (It's similar to what we saw with the doctor who went jogging and bowling while the Ebola virus was festering in his body). This makes it exceedingly difficult to identify and quarantine the hockey players who feel fine but are potentially spreading the disease—players who were immunized as children and, in theory, should be protected.

In 2006, thousands of college kids in the Midwest became infected with mumps, despite the fact that most had received the vaccine. This phenomenon is called vaccine failure, and scientists divide it into two categories: primary and secondary. Primary vaccine failure occurs when the body doesn't produce antibodies in response to the initial immunization, but this is relatively rare with the mumps vaccine. Secondary failure occurs when the body fails to maintain an adequate level of antibodies, despite having an initially strong response to the immunization. This is what we're seeing in the NHL.

Mumps outbreaks are rare, so updating the vaccination schedule hasn't really been on our radar. But it may soon be. Throwing a wrench into all of this is that some players with the disease recently did receive a booster. The Penguins claim Crosby was vaccinated against mumps in February; he had antibodies in his system, just not enough. And that's what makes this so challenging for the NHL (or any concentrated workplace). There isn't a simple blood test to confirm with 100 percent certainty that a hockey player (or any person) is truly immune to mumps. That's because the optimal level of antibody to protect from the virus is unknown. NHL teams assumed players were immune when, in fact, they were not.

During the 2006 outbreak, more than 95% of students at one university had been vaccinated against mumps and researchers could not identify a threshold antibody level that correlated with protection. Some got it, some didn't.
Yes, it's better to have a lot neutralizing antibodies rather than no antibodies, but we can't say precisely how much you'll need to be safe the next time mumps hits your town. Or your ice rink.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaDee View Post
It's been all over the news/internet.
There are always posters who will ask this without the please, and thanks;
Just thought It'd seem friendlier if I asked this way first.
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
bdcp
DIS Veteran

I had the mumps in the mid-60s when I was in first or second grade. Not really a big deal for a kid. I do remember the glands in my neck being somewhat swollen but otherwise I didn't feel that bad. My sister also had them right about the same time. Adult males can become sterile from the mumps. My boys (28 and 31) have both been immunized because that was part of the normal protocol, but my generation either caught them or not and some adults have never had either the immunization or the disease.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
I had the mumps in the mid-60s when I was in first or second grade. Not really a big deal for a kid. I do remember the glands in my neck being somewhat swollen but otherwise I didn't feel that bad. My sister also had them right about the same time. Adult males can become sterile from the mumps. My boys (28 and 31) have both been immunized because that was part of the normal protocol, but my generation either caught them or not and some adults have never had either the immunization or the disease.
A male childhood friend of mine got the mumps when he was 18 or 19. A mutual friend went to visit him and said he looked like he had no neck and it was just a big head until it hit his shoulders. He was left sterile. I felt so bad for him as it caused no end of conflict in his first marriage. He wanted to adopt and she insisted they COULD have a baby together. I don't know what part of sterile she failed to understand.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
A male childhood friend of mine got the mumps when he was 18 or 19. A mutual friend went to visit him and said he looked like he had no neck and it was just a big head until it hit his shoulders. He was left sterile. I felt so bad for him as it caused no end of conflict in his first marriage. He wanted to adopt and she insisted they COULD have a baby together. I don't know what part of sterile she failed to understand.
Maybe using donor sperm?

It's been big news here in Pittsburgh with Sidney Crosby and now possibly Beau Bennett. Even worse, Bennett was with a group of players who visited sick children last week at Children's Hospital. Now those children are being isolated.

Interesting article:
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/hea...s/201412160092

At last night's game they had their water bottles numbered to avoid sharing water bottles.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Maybe using donor sperm?

It's been big news here in Pittsburgh with Sidney Crosby and now possibly Beau Bennett. Even worse, Bennett was with a group of players who visited sick children last week at Children's Hospital. Now those children are being isolated.

Interesting article:
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/hea...s/201412160092

At last night's game they had their water bottles numbered to avoid sharing water bottles.
Nope, she wanted "their" baby. No adoption. No donor sperm. Just the old fashioned way that he couldn't manage. They stayed together for years, but eventually divorced.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: