Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #106
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Brilliant post here! I agree 500%!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Goodness gracious. From the way some are complaining, you would think that the Youth Menu consisted of Sweetbreads, Foie Gras and Ortolan. A cry for "more traditional kid food"? Really? News flash. Chicken, fish, red meat and meatloaf are traditional foods that kids eat. Pressed and fried feather sweepings (a/k/a chicken nuggets)? No so much. They are a convenience invention of the 1980's. Kids who grew up in the 50's, 60s' and 70's didn't rely on these things for sustinence, and we all survived to adulthood. Ever wonder why you never meet any kids from Europe, Africa or Asia who only eat chicken nuggets, hot dogs and mac-n-cheese? Because there aren't any. Believe it or not, there are 7 billion people in this world, and the only kids who won't eat anything but chicken nuggets and hot dogs live in but one country with a population of 300 million. The rest of the world gets along just fine without McFood. Complaining that WDW has done a disservice for not dumbing down the menu is an insult to the vast majority of the world.

As for the pictures, food photography is very, very difficult. You'd be shocked to learn what the pros have to do to make food look appetizing in magazines. Personally, I avoid any thread here that starts with "Show Me Pictures Of..." I know that people mean well. But 99% of amateur food photos look downright disgusting to me. It is really, really hard to make food on a plate look good. Disney probably should have done a better job, or brought in a pro to do the shoot. While these photos are better than a typical diner can do with their smart phone, they are a far cry from what a reputable magazine would ever publish.
I have to say, the food pictures I took at disney didnt look appetizing AT ALL. In fact, one of the best meals of the trip looked pretty awful. But it was the best meal! You really cant judge food based on the photo's alone. While we're on the subject, i have to say, most kids dont like fancy spices on their steak, chicken or fish. I would think parents would be happy to learn the the steak have been seasoned with the basics instead of something 'wild' or unusual.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #107
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Brilliant post here! I agree 500%!

I have to say, the food pictures I took at disney didnt look appetizing AT ALL. In fact, one of the best meals of the trip looked pretty awful. But it was the best meal! You really cant judge food based on the photo's alone. While we're on the subject, i have to say, most kids dont like fancy spices on their steak, chicken or fish. I would think parents would be happy to learn the the steak have been seasoned with the basics instead of something 'wild' or unusual.
Couldn't agree more. Judging the quality of a meal by a single photo is like judging a book by its cover.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #108
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
While we're on the subject, i have to say, most kids dont like fancy spices on their steak, chicken or fish. I would think parents would be happy to learn the the steak have been seasoned with the basics instead of something 'wild' or unusual.
I agree with this. My picky eater DD doesn't like things that are heavily seasoned. I'll often throw a plain chicken breast that hasn't been marinated on the grill for her because she prefers it that way. She'll eat steak with just a dash of salt on it. If the chicken or steak at BOG came seasoned with anything strong or unusual, I'd ask if it could be prepared unseasoned for her.
Maggie'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #109
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
I have to say, the food pictures I took at disney didnt look appetizing AT ALL. In fact, one of the best meals of the trip looked pretty awful. But it was the best meal! You really cant judge food based on the photo's alone.
I remember your photos, particularly the ones from the California Grill, and yours were way better than most! Don't be too hard on yourself.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #110
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

I'm thrilled they are offering "normal" food on the kids menu - that first photo looked like my dinner last week, LOL. What is so weird about chicken, pasta and broccoli?

I have picky kids, but they are required to try everything I put in front of them. If they truly don't like it, then that's okay. But judging and not eating food just because of the way it looks doesn't fly with me.

Last year in EP, we had an ADR at Nine Dragons - it was one of our best meals. Mainly because my 2.5 y/o entertained us all by eating his entire plate of lo mein with a pair of chopsticks. Kids will surprise you! I'd be willing to guess that a lot of those kids that will eat nothing but chicken nuggets / pizza only do so because that is what is put in front of them all the time.

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #111
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYWITHCHILDREN View Post
Honestly I have the pickiest of picky eaters. She lives on chicken nuggets-any kind is fine. Disney really does do what they can. When we dined at Akershus the pizza that we ordered for her was disgusting. She was crying and refusing to see the princesses she was so upset. A CM went to a nearby restaurant and got her chicken nuggets. At a few of the other ts restaurants the chefs have made her breaded chicken tenders.

We are dining at BOG on my bday. I plan to see what accommodations they can make for chicken nuggets. And if they can't I'll just pick it up at one if the qs counters and bring t with us.
When you say she lives on nuggets, do you mean in restaurents or all the time? Because if she feeds chicken nuggets every days, I am quite concerned about health issues.

I can't possibily imagine a child surviving just on nuggets. Even for a week of vacation.

My kids have different tastes, can sometimes be quite picky and that's fine to a point, but they eat what's in their plate or else they wait until next meal or snack.

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
lynypixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #112
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I really don't see anything "weird" on the menu other than maybe the turkey meatloaf, which is never a good idea (and I say that as the queen of subbing turkey for fattier meats... that works well in sauces and casseroles and other mixed items, but not in meatloaf or burgers!). My 4yo would eat every single thing pictured and I hope that the menu is more or less unchanged by the time we get there because it looks far, far more to her tastes than most non-signature restaurants' kids menus.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #113
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynypixie View Post
When you say she lives on nuggets, do you mean in restaurents or all the time? Because if she feeds chicken nuggets every days, I am quite concerned about health issues.

I can't possibily imagine a child surviving just on nuggets. Even for a week of vacation.

My kids have different tastes, can sometimes be quite picky and that's fine to a point, but they eat what's in their plate or else they wait until next meal or snack.
This sounds a lot like my sister and chicken nuggets (and her experience with Akershus as well). My sister too is a very picky eater and although I know she wouldnt eat a thing on that menu (he diet consisters of; chicken nuggets/strips, grilled cheese, pancakes, cheese and crackers and those are pretty much her staples). I do however think it is great that they are making a different kind of dining experience for kids We just know that we would skip it for her, my brother would probably find 2 or 3 things he would enjoy.

That being said on a separate note... All right I can hear the responses already lol.... Some children cant help being picky eaters. Believe me my parents tried the "You dont leave the table until you eat all that is on your plate" and there was one occassion where my sister did not eat anything but bread and butter for a 4 days. She also stayed with family who were convinced they could "cure" her of her eating habits, hmm that didnt work either. She actually attended food therapy and after all this added maybe 1 or 2 foods to her diet. She has a sensitivity to food (textures, temperatures, tastes) and there are lots of kids that have this as well, this is not abnormal. Anyways, just some food for thought about picky eaters

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #114
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I really don't see anything "weird" on the menu other than maybe the turkey meatloaf, which is never a good idea (and I say that as the queen of subbing turkey for fattier meats... that works well in sauces and casseroles and other mixed items, but not in meatloaf or burgers!).
We almost NEVER use ground beef...always ground turkey, including for dishes like meatloaf and burgers! But it did take some experimentation to get it right!
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #115
no capes darling
I never look back, it distracts from the now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I personally would not go by the pictures when trying to determine whether or not to visit BoG. Chances are the food isn't even real, since many food advertisements are shot with "fake" food or plastic to make it look better (which clearly failed on some level here if that is the case).

No kidding. Like this, for example What's the phrase, don't judge a book by its cover?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #116
EvilQueenT
DIS Veteran

I showed my 8 y/o granddaughter the menu and she's excited. The 1st words out of her mouth were, "good, I love steak and mahi mahi but I thought disney only made pb&j and nuggets". I'm glad there are options out there like nuggets and pb&j but we just don't eat like that except for the occasional quick lunch or dinner. just like anyone else I can only eat so many burgers so I can imagine there are just as many kids out there that get tired of the same meal of nuggets offered at every disney venue for lunch and dinner...a week of that and i can only imagine how old it would get.
EvilQueenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #117
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by no capes darling View Post
No kidding. Like this, for example What's the phrase, don't judge a book by its cover?
Oh my goodness, talk about false advertising.

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #118
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

This thread will get closed for being off topic if it becomes a discussion of what kids should and shouldn't eat and makes comments about what other posters feed their kids - this isn't a parenting forum.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #119
wizeom
Earning My Ears

How much is dinner for a child?
wizeom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #120
no capes darling
I never look back, it distracts from the now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emteach

Oh my goodness, talk about false advertising.
Yet billions & billions served is telling, no?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: