Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #76
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiKat View Post
While I like the kids menu and think it's a great idea, we have a picky eater in our family. My stepson is very picky about what he eats. When he lived with his mother she never made him eat veggies and fruits. He basically got to eat whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted cause she didn't want to be a parent and was more concerned with being his friend. His diet consisted of hotdogs, chicken nuggets, fries, chips, and soda. Basically if it was junk he ate it. Once my DH got full custody it has been a constant battle to get him to eat anything but junk food. He is almost 12 and still sits at the table and cries cause he doesn't want to eat the good meal that have been put on the table. Sometimes it's just about what it looks like. This is just not something we want to suffer through on vacation so I canceled my plans to eat at BOG even though I was very much looking forward to it. We will continue to try and hopefully I'll get to eat there one day.
As a parent, you do what you have to do. I'm positive some lucky family was thrilled to get your ADR. Those things are like gold these days!

And someday soon, I'm sure, even if your son is still a picky eater, he'll mature to the point where he can accompany the family to a restaurant dinner, even if he doesn't personally like what's on the menu.

As I've told my daughter - dinner is about more than food, and that's what the basket of bread and butter is for anyway.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #77
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiKat View Post
While I like the kids menu and think it's a great idea, we have a picky eater in our family. My stepson is very picky about what he eats. When he lived with his mother she never made him eat veggies and fruits. He basically got to eat whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted cause she didn't want to be a parent and was more concerned with being his friend. His diet consisted of hotdogs, chicken nuggets, fries, chips, and soda. Basically if it was junk he ate it. Once my DH got full custody it has been a constant battle to get him to eat anything but junk food. He is almost 12 and still sits at the table and cries cause he doesn't want to eat the good meal that have been put on the table. Sometimes it's just about what it looks like. This is just not something we want to suffer through on vacation so I canceled my plans to eat at BOG even though I was very much looking forward to it. We will continue to try and hopefully I'll get to eat there one day.

Bolding mine. Why would you tolerate this? I would dread dinner every night. We expect DD to try what I make and if she doesn't like it she can get cereal or make a sandwich. No way would I deal with a crying kid at dinner time. That would simply be tortuous to me.

P.S. When was your BoG reservation? I've been trying to get one for ANY time.
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #78
Eliza'sMom
Mouseketeer

I'm really grateful to see kids' menus like this one. My 4-year-old is a great eater, and some her favorite foods are shrimp, steak and fish. At home she eats grilled chicken often and likes it. But if you give her a choice of grilled chicken or chicken nuggets, of course she'll choose the nuggets. She loves sweet potatoes, but they can be a tough sell vs. fries. I'm looking forward to going someplace with a menu I don't have to edit for her. I'm fine with her choosing whatever she'd like from that menu.

Our Disney trips together:
October 2005: Honeymoon at CSR December 2006: Got a pin code we couldn't resist and headed to POFQ June 2007: Big family vacation off-site December 2007: Babymoon at POFQ December 2009: Ellie's first trip, our first trip as DVC members at BWV April 2010: Mike's 30th and Ellie's 2nd birthday celebration at Pop/AKV September/October 2010: BWV for MNSSHP and Harry Potter April 2011: A week at Jambo House before Ellie turns 3 May 2012: Back to AKV for baby's 1st trip to Disney! Nov/Dec 2012: Our first Disney cruise! Plus AOA, BLT and BWV -- whew! October 2013: Fall fun at Jambo House March/April 2014: Spring break at BWV/VWL January 2015: AOA and BLT
Eliza'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #79
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Based on those photos, I wouldn't bother eating there. The food looks disgusting.
Since when are all photos accurate? Actually, the food doesn't look anywhere near disgusting to me. You're saying this before anyone even has a chance to experience the taste, so therefore no reviews yet either (not that I let reviews influence my trying a restaurant anyway).

Well, it's great that you don't want to eat there because it took long enough to get ressies as it was. We can't wait to try it, looks like the same type of meals we prepare at home and enjoy - steak, chicken, pork, etc.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #80
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
Bolding mine. Why would you tolerate this? I would dread dinner every night. We expect DD to try what I make and if she doesn't like it she can get cereal or make a sandwich. No way would I deal with a crying kid at dinner time. That would simply be tortuous to me.

P.S. When was your BoG reservation? I've been trying to get one for ANY time.
As far as tolerating it, I have very little to say in the matter. He's my stepson and I don't have a lot of control over his discipline. When my DH got custody of him I think he spoiled him a bit for a while because of the situation he had been in living with his mother who now has supervised visits only. Then after doing that for a while he decided to start being more strict with him with more rules. Those months of spoiling him bit him in the butt. This was all before we married. We alternate and do have nights where we eat things he likes. There are nights where I'm sure he goes to bed hungry because he chooses not to eat that much. It's a very difficult situation and there are days that I do dread what we are having cause he sits there and makes faces or just cries but he does need to learn to eat things that are good for him. The thing that gets me is DH says before they divorced he ate veggies and fruit and liked them but once he was with his mother it all changed. I think it's just in his head. He loves shrimp now but the only way that DH could get him to try it was to tell him in was chicken. He started with the fried and will now eat it any way it comes. The part that bothers me the most is my DD6 was 4 when we got married and she attempts to get away with it sometimes. I do not put up with it from her. It just one of those things I've learned to deal with.
My ADR was for early Feb which I made on the first day possible. After talking to DH about the menu options we decided not to attempt it this go round. I canceled it just a couple days after making it. I do have a friend that works at Disney seasonally until she moves back next year and she thinks they will end up adding more kid friendly choices to the menu eventually.

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
KristiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #81
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
As a parent, you do what you have to do. I'm positive some lucky family was thrilled to get your ADR. Those things are like gold these days!

And someday soon, I'm sure, even if your son is still a picky eater, he'll mature to the point where he can accompany the family to a restaurant dinner, even if he doesn't personally like what's on the menu.

As I've told my daughter - dinner is about more than food, and that's what the basket of bread and butter is for anyway.
I love your dinner, and bread and butter comment. So true. He does seem to be getting better little by little so fingers crossed.

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
KristiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #82
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Since when are all photos accurate? Actually, the food doesn't look anywhere near disgusting to me. You're saying this before anyone even has a chance to experience the taste, so therefore no reviews yet either (not that I let reviews influence my trying a restaurant anyway).

Well, it's great that you don't want to eat there because it took long enough to get ressies as it was. We can't wait to try it, looks like the same type of meals we prepare at home and enjoy - steak, chicken, pork, etc.
I won't be there when it opens, anyway. Since the food looks disgusting to me, we won't be eating there. You obviously have a different opinion.

It isn't a restaurant we'd be interested in. I shouldn't be shocked that offends some people, this is the dis, after all.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #83
Mickeyrella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
I clicked on the link and then on the kids menu link but I couldn't find anything weird.
I found grilled chicken breast, grilled fish, steak,...
I'm actually quite pleased with a kid's menu without the usual junk food.
We do eat burgers and chicken fingers sometimes as a treat but it's certainly not the norm and I can't imagine that there are many kids out there that live strictly on junk food, so I guess that the majority of children would find something they liked on the menu.
Agree
Mickeyrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #84
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

My son always got to eat junk on vacation but he would have been OK with most of the food on this menu too. I just hope that it tastes OK - the pictures don't look too good IMO.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #85
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMom View Post
My DD is also a picky eater due to sensory issues. But she will definitely eat both the grilled chicken and the steak on this menu and it's highly likely she would eat the meatloaf. When I looked at this menu, I couldn't see why anyone would have an issue with it. Yes, they don't have the standard chicken nuggets option, but honestly the chicken nuggets on the WDW kids' menus are disgusting. My DD likes chicken nuggets but she won't eat the kids' menu ones at WDW. This past trip, there were a couple times she asked for chicken nuggets, but only when they had the breast meat chicken tenders on the adult menu. We weren't doing the DDP so I happily purchased the adult meal for her.

Up until our trip in May, my DD would only eaten the grilled chicken on this menu, but some Disney magic occurred for us too. We had an ADR for lunch at LeCellier and she announced before the trip that she was going to eat steak there. I was skeptical because I've been trying to get her to eat steak (or any beef) for years and she's refused. She would skip a meal rather than eat beef. But there at LeCellier, she ordered the steak on the kids' menu and ate every last bite. Since then, I've been able to get her to eat steak, pot roast, and ground beef with no issue. She does like turkey and now that she's eating ground beef, I think she'll go for the ground turkey meatloaf.
That's wonderful!!! I love little victories like that!

Maybe there's a lesson here...there's Disney magic in trying new things while at WDW! You're the third person to say it happened there, so it must be true. So, embrace the new menu choices for kids...you never know, you could join our club!!

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #86
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Looks good to me - far better than the unappetizing processed chicken nuggets and the bland cheese pizza that are served on a lot of the children's menus.

What's the issue again here?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #87
DISNEYWITHCHILDREN
Mouseketeer

Honestly I have the pickiest of picky eaters. She lives on chicken nuggets-any kind is fine. Disney really does do what they can. When we dined at Akershus the pizza that we ordered for her was disgusting. She was crying and refusing to see the princesses she was so upset. A CM went to a nearby restaurant and got her chicken nuggets. At a few of the other ts restaurants the chefs have made her breaded chicken tenders.

We are dining at BOG on my bday. I plan to see what accommodations they can make for chicken nuggets. And if they can't I'll just pick it up at one if the qs counters and bring t with us.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #88
CaptainKat
Mouseketeer

I was a super super picky eater when I was younger, and still am to a degree (don't like most seafood, or most forms of pasta, and veggies are a challenge), but I think my younger self would at least gone for the chicken breast. Probably with the fries subbed in, but I would've eaten it. The carrot ketchup sounds weird to me though, I put ketchup on everything and used to say it was my favorite vegetable

I think most of it looks pretty good in the photos, though the sides do look a bit skimpy and I'll agree that the pork just looks weird and the meatloaf dry (though maybe biased because I don't like meatloaf ).

There's definitely something to be said for Disney picky eaters magic. Last year it led me to try and fall in love with caesar salad, as a "small child" of 20 lol. It was a big step in the right direction of healthy eating for me, now I get a lot more of my leafy greens!

Accepted for DCP Fall Advantage in the Pirate's League! Let the Countdown begin!
CaptainKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #89
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Moving to Disney Restaurant board as this is a better location for discussions on food

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #90
awoogala
Mouseketeer

I have a picky kid too. She is pretty much vegetarian. She won't eat real meat, and goes to bed hungry a lot...lol (although we do have the make yourself pb and j rule here as well- I make one dinner, and after You try it, you can make yourself a sandwich)
Luckily one thing on this menu is pasta with sauce (and cheese-which she also does not eat- even pulls it off pizza!) She would rather have salad with beans, or minestrone, so I'm not too worried about her health.
My son would have loved this.. But at 10 this year, he is an "adult" lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: