Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #31
traviesojmt
DIS Veteran

Location: Wherever the USAF sends us, which is currently Colorado

I don't really get bent out of shape one way or the other. There are to many places to choose from for me to focus on what one restaurant serves. If we are interested, we will eat there. If not, we will eat somewhere else. If revenues are great, the menu will stay. If the restaurant stays empty (don't really see this happening), then changes will be made. I guess I do think that Disney will save themselves some grief by putting at least one "typical" kids meal on the menu. Then there are choices for everyone.

Have said all of that, I do have to admit that meatloaf made into shapes (Mickey's head, in this case) does kind of creep me out. Again, just a personal preference, but I don't like my meat made into shapes.
1996 - Day Trip**2000 - All-Star Sports**2001 - POFQ**2005 - Shades of Green/Animal Kingdom Lodge - 12 DAYS YEAH** Aug 2006 - POFQ - 10 Days** Feb 2007 - Pop Century - 10 days**June 18-21, 2007 - Beach Club Resort - 1st trip without the kids.**June 20-July 2, 2008 - SOG**May 26-June 6, 2009 - Beach Club/Contemporary**May 30-June 4, 2010 - POFQ **May 28-June 8, 2011 Coronado Springs**May 29-June 8, 2013 - Beach Club/Animal Kingdom Villas
traviesojmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Maybe.
But, they LOOK weird.
Very difficult to overcome.

In what world do you live that those items look weird? The chicken breast looks like, we'll, a chicken breast.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #33
Belle0101
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

My oldest son would have. He can't now but only because he's not a kid.

I remember one time, he was probably about 5 or 6, he picked some cauliflower off a relish tray. I was just sure he didn't know what it was. He told me had tried it at a friend's house and he liked it. He's always like to try new foods.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #34
tmrose03
Mouseketeer

Besides the sandwich, DS would eat any of those. I don't know where he gets it though. At Coral reef he asked for the kids fish and ate almost all of it. He will NOT eat a grilled cheese sandwich or mashed potatoes though.

Jan. 2014 Our First DCL Cruise-Wonder

April 2015 Our 2nd WDW Trip

tmrose03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #35
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

My son, who is four, will be thrilled, actually. And mommy is pretty darn excited, too. We have never prepared separate "kids meals" in our house--DS eats what we eat. And we do not eat mac and cheese and processed chicken.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #36
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
I have to ask, if none of that food appeals to your kids, what on earth are you feeding them at home for dinner? All of that stuff is on our rotation here at home, and any child that eats dinner in my home (nieces, nephews, friends' kids) all eat whatever the grown-ups are eating without complaint. My nephew's (age 2) favorite food is a spinach, feta and egg white wrap in a spinach tortilla.

I agree totally the kids meals look like normal family dinners to me. I am always amazed by the shear number of posts saying their child will only eat chicken nuggets, pizza or Mac & Cheese etc. Really?

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #37
Ciorsdah
Mouseketeer

This begs the question, who will REALLY have the problem with the menu? The child who isn't really old enough to know better or the parent who decides that the menu doesn't look good for their child?

Every child I know eats what is put in front of them, the only time a problem arises if when a parent or accompanying adult creates a fuss.

I'm overjoyed WDW is taking steps to combat the 'nuggets' and 'burgers' habit that many children have by offering new and exciting food. I personally would be loving the food if I was back to my childhood days.
Ciorsdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #38
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I think there are plenty of entrees that a kid will eat and I'm willing to bet that they will substitute out fries for any of those sides of veggies.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW/US (in planning)

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #39
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
This appears to be the direction Disney is going.

I think the food court at Art of Animation got similar complaints when they didn't offer chicken nuggets or burgers as children's meals, I think they do have pizza though. I remember one person saying they'd still stay there, but would walk to Pop Century to eat so their kid could get nuggets.
I agree I think this is the direction Disney is going. I was at AoA and I know they got complaints about the kids meals but personally I think it's a good plan to diversify.

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #40
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I agree totally the kids meals look like normal family dinners to me. I am always amazed by the shear number of posts saying their child will only eat chicken nuggets, pizza or Mac & Cheese etc. Really?
Add me in as another who doesn't get what the fuss is. This looks like good food to me, and my kids wouldn't have had any trouble eating it when they were small. Even my extremely picky eater always ate plain chicken breast, even back when she thought hamburgers and hotdogs were "gross".

It IS sad, if all a child will eat is junk food. Personally, I'd think the parents would be grateful for any help overcoming that ("See Precious? This is how REAL princesses eat!"), instead of defending their child's right to eat nuggets at every single dining venue.

And I say this as someone whose daughter once came running home from a birthday party weeping inconsolably because they'd served her Ice Cream Cake. Ice Cream Cake! Imagine the horror. I sent her right back to apologize to the poor hostess, who'd never imagined that any child on the planet wouldn't love Ice Cream Cake.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #41
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

I know that my toddler-aged child is in the minority when I say that she eats broccoli and string beans by choice.

Her favorite meals at Disney have been at the Signature restaurants that offer her food that is not breaded or fried. And she certainly prefers steak to meatloaf.

I guess my family is OK with menu options that are healthier than the typical pizza, mac-n-cheese, and chicken nugget selections.

But let me also tell you, she gets more than her fair share of 'junk food' when visiting Disney.

Be Our Guest is no different - cupcakes and cream puffs will be everywhere.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2016?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2014?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #42
no capes darling
I never look back, it distracts from the now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
And the problem is...?

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the issue here.

I weep for humanity if grilled steak, carved chicken sandwich and pulled pork on a children's menu are considered bad things.
I agree. ALL FOOD has potential to be kid friendly if the adults who are in their world treat it as such. I don't understand the phenomena of "kid food".

Speaking only for my child, the first time we tried the dining plan, she was considered a child and disliked it immensely. We were relieved the next time when she could order what she wanted. Lesson learned.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #43
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

I think the kids' BOG menu is a leap in the right direction, but I think most kids will need a step in the right direction... They need something between here and there...
Meatloaf made with veggies and bulgar? Great! DD10 was actually thrilled with this option!
But turkey meatloaf?? She will cringe the minute she reads "turkey" and I guarantee she won't even try it.
She also loves pulled pork but I agree that photo looks very unappetizing!
Carrot ketchup? Why not homemade tomato ketchup made more healthy?
Multigrain pasta? We eat it but many won't.
I think Disney could have found a middle ground here.
I hope Disney does customer feedback like they did at Art of Animation's food court.
We look forward to dining at BOG in January but I have a feeling DD won't be loving the meal choices.... And she us a pretty good veggie/healthy option kind of eater. Time will tell with reviews. I can't wait to read about them!

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #44
Tinkh
DIS Veteran

I will say that I am sure they could have done a better job with making the food look better in the pictures (using a food stylist who would have made the food appear moist and a bit more fresh). However, I find absolutely nothing wrong with the menu at all. My son would for sure eat meatloaf, grilled chicken breast, or the steak. He would not eat the pork. If the mahi mahi were salmon that would be his first choice.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #45
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I wish my kids would eat that stuff. It does look like they'd at least be able to get plain pasta and grilled cheese easy enough.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: