Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
troane522
Earning My Ears

We have all 3 systems in our house (plus multiple handhelds). We've had the Wii since it came out and DS16 has never really cared for it. There aren't enough of the games he plays on it. I'd be interested in seeing what games Nintendo claims they are getting for the Wii U that will compete with the PS3 and 360.

I did not pre-order the Wii U although I may purchase it at some point for the younger ones; none of them have mentioned it as a must have.
troane522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
DisneyDebbie
DIS Veteran

We have both the wii, and xbox. The wii is hardly used. The xbox is used every...single...day. The reason is because they play games with their friends (in separate houses). They each designate a time w/ their friends when to log on, and they join in together to play. I would not buy a new wii, b/c their friends still won't be able to join unless they have one also. I guess you have to decide if you want your son to play separately & his own enjoyment, or to be a little more social (with more mature games). Also we pay a yearly fee to get xbox online, I think ps3 is free(not 100% sure).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #18
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think I already knew what the consensus would be telling me, but I just wanted to hear it for myself.

Xbox is what I'll be looking for then (Black Friday possibly???). This whole topic gives me a little anxiety because my son has Tourette's and to be honest having any gaming system at all is a double-edged sword for us. He becomes very "ticcy" and anxious and obsessed after he plays anything for too long. We have to limit his playing time to weekends only for one hour per weekend day (Fri, Sat & Sun). Otherwise he is a a FREEEAKK. LOL.

On the other hand, when he's having an especially bad day...we will make an exception and after playing for 15 or 20 min, he actually CALMS down. Confusing. But now that we've learned to "read" him, I think we have it nailed down.

BTW - I did have the ability to by a Wii U (preorder) on Walmart.com last night. It was a bundle and very pricey but for anyone that is looking - it was there last night around 9 PM. Might be gone again already though. Also - the game choices look awesome.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #19
troane522
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDebbie
We have both the wii, and xbox. The wii is hardly used. The xbox is used every...single...day. The reason is because they play games with their friends (in separate houses). They each designate a time w/ their friends when to log on, and they join in together to play. I would not buy a new wii, b/c their friends still won't be able to join unless they have one also. I guess you have to decide if you want your son to play separately & his own enjoyment, or to be a little more social (with more mature games). Also we pay a yearly fee to get xbox online, I think ps3 is free(not 100% sure).
Yes, online play is free with the PS3. The holiday season is a great time for Xbox live deals though!
troane522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
I can only go by what I have witnessed here. WiiU hasn't gotten much buzz around here because the older kids don't really care that it's coming out. I would definitely go with the Playstation or Xbox for a boy that age.
That would be my advice too. DS14 and his friends are all gamers but none of them is in the least bit interested in the Wii U. They're Xbox 360 all the way and the perception is that the Wii U is just Nintendo playing catch-up to some of the features of the better systems (specifically HDMI output and a better gaming network, along with more games that appeal to older kids) rather than any real innovation or advancement. We have both the Xbox and the Wii and the Wii is really the girls' system - my 11yo and 4yo both have games they really enjoy and it is a lot of fun for giggly girl slumber parties but I don't remember the last time DS14 played it alone or with friends.

For a tween or teen boy, I'd look for a good starter bundle on the Xbox 360 with the 250G hard drive. A headset with a mic is a good idea too, because the boys like to voice chat while gaming with each other online. And keep an eye out for deals on the Xbox Live Gold cards as well; I've been able to get 1 year cards as low as $35ish and I've never paid anywhere near the $60 they retail for.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
jsksjs
Mouseketeer

Alot of older kids/adults want the Wii U. Its not like the regular Wii at all. Has alot more popular mature titles coming out, the new Call of Duty, Assassins Creed 3, Zombie U and alot more in the future. The graphics are even better advanced than the Xbox/PS3 because its so new! I played the demo at Gamestop and WOW, it looks awesome! It now has online multiplayer option, you dont need a friend code. I would suggest anyone trying to get one of these, good luck, because all preorders are sold out, especially the Black Deluxe model. It also comes out about 1 week before Black Friday , and once that day goes by, its even going to get harder to get your hands on one until after the Holidays! Watch how many people are going to be camping out on Nov 18th!
jsksjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #22
GOOFY D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsksjs View Post
Alot of older kids/adults want the Wii U. Its not like the regular Wii at all. Has alot more popular mature titles coming out, the new Call of Duty, Assassins Creed 3, Zombie U and alot more in the future. The graphics are even better advanced than the Xbox/PS3 because its so new! I played the demo at Gamestop and WOW, it looks awesome! It now has online multiplayer option, you dont need a friend code. I would suggest anyone trying to get one of these, good luck, because all preorders are sold out, especially the Black Deluxe model. It also comes out about 1 week before Black Friday , and once that day goes by, its even going to get harder to get your hands on one until after the Holidays! Watch how many people are going to be camping out on Nov 18th!
I see the controller looks different. Are the game still controlled by motion or is it like the more traditional PS controller (i.e. buttons and stick activated).

1988 - Polynesian * 1995 - Carribean Beach * 1996 - All Star Sports * 1997 - Candy Cane (Disneyland) * 1998 - All Star Music * 1999 - Contemporary * 1999 - Contemporary * 2000 - Disney Wonder /Coronado Springs * 2000 - All Star Sports * 2001 - Disney Magic (Eastern) * 2002 - Disney Magic (Western) * 2003 - All Star Movies * 2004 - Disney Magic (Eastern-San Juan) * 2006 - Contemporary * 2006 - Coronado Springs * 2007 - All Star Sports/Animal Kingdom Lodge * 2008 - All Star Sports * 2009 - Disney Magic (Western) * 2009 - All Star Movies * 2010 - Disney Magic (Eastern) * 2011 - All Star Sports * 2012 - Disney Fantasy (Western) * 2013 - Animal Kingdom Villas-Kidani * 2013 - Bay Lake Tower * 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
GOOFY D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #23
4HOLIDAYS
DIS Veteran

I have 2 xbox 360's for our 2 DS(16,14)-they've had them for yrs now. All the freinds are on, we have lots of neighbor kids come and play as well.
We have the wii but noone plays that at all.

We have 2 wii U's on pre oreder at walmat for my DH's bus,he's in A/V and some customer always wants one at the last minute but my boys could care less about it coming out.
4HOLIDAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #24
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

Like an earlier poster, we have all three game systems in my house (Wii, XBox 360 and PS3). My daughter is 10 but she has a 4-year-old sister and a 15-year-old sister that visit sometimes not to mention numerous 10-year-old friends. So I see across the gambit on the girl side.

The PS3 is rarely played. Games are too intense and just aren't what they want to play. The XBox 360 with Kinect is the favorite but the Wii gets played more. The Wii is fun because is spans the ages and because up to four players can play it at a time.

Favorite games? All those danged dance games. Yes, there are videos out there of me dancing to Pokerface. Don't tell anyone.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #25
motherof2boys
Mouseketeer

My Boys are 10 & 13 we got them a Wii June 2008 (couldn't find it anywhere X-mas time) for their Birthdays. Xbox 360 with Kinect for Christmas 2010. The Wii now works occasionally. I made the mistake of saying this Summer when they asked for a refurb one for their Birthdays that I'd rather wait & buy the new system. The 10 year old plays both systems often. The 13 year old mostly plays Xbox. He plays a lot thru Xbox live with his friends on a headset. The Wii games he does play are Wii exclusive such as the Mario games. We decided to go to Disney for Christmas this year & to downsize Santa gifts. Again my mistake telling Hubby to pre-order a Wii U (got one at Walmart too) Imagine my horror to find out it cost $500!! Ohh well Boys will be thrilled & we'll be in Disney so we'll all be happy!
motherof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #26
edk35
DIS Veteran

Two teenage boys here too....13 and 19. We figured out last night that our 13 year old got his the summer going into the 4th grade. We have a Wii and believe it or not...he actually played it this past weekend. However, XBOX is what he loves and what our 19 year old has always loved. He is on his 2nd one. His first one he got in 7th grade died a few yeas back. I say XBOX!!!

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #27
brennicksmom
!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrefly View Post
For a 12 year old I would say XBox 360, but if it were me I would hang on to the Wii games for a bit. After the Wii U launches people will trade in their Wiis and in a few months you might be able to get a refurbished one for quite cheap that will let you at least play what you have if he is still interested in playing those games.
I agree with this. I have 10 and 13 year old boys. 2 years ago they got an XBOX 360 with Kinect. This is their go to gaming system. Especially with XBOX live. They talk to their friends and play with their friends online. They do still play with the Wii, but at early teen years the XBOX will last for years and the Wii is fading out.
If in a few months you can get another Wii for less money it will be a great Valentine's day gift!

June 2004 All Star Movies, June 2005 All Star Movies, June 2006 POP Century, June 2007 POP Century, June 2008 POP Century, June 2009 POP/POLY split stay, February 2010 POP Century, June 2011 POP Century, May 2012 POP Century
brennicksmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: