Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
minnie1012
DIS Veteran

I pod touch won't charge in docking station?

Hi My daughter has an Ipod touch that she received last Christmas. I have an I-home docking station with clock radio and it used to charge in there and one day it just stopped charging. I didn't think much of it and never really looked into it. We just charged it with the wall charger we have. Now I purchased her a glow tunes docking station by I-home and it won't charge in there either. It says its compatible with her Ipod. My neighbor's daughter brought her Ipod touch over and hers charges in there no problem? The only difference is in the storage size my daughter has the smaller one and my neighbor's daughter I think has the 32G. I tried contacting I-home and they been no help. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix?

Thanks
minnie1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie1012 View Post
Hi My daughter has an Ipod touch that she received last Christmas. I have an I-home docking station with clock radio and it used to charge in there and one day it just stopped charging. I didn't think much of it and never really looked into it. We just charged it with the wall charger we have. Now I purchased her a glow tunes docking station by I-home and it won't charge in there either. It says its compatible with her Ipod. My neighbor's daughter brought her Ipod touch over and hers charges in there no problem? The only difference is in the storage size my daughter has the smaller one and my neighbor's daughter I think has the 32G. I tried contacting I-home and they been no help. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix?

Thanks
Sometime an iOS update will break compatibility. Has she updated to the latest iOS recently? If so, that may be the culprit

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Mine did that with my iHome alarm clock and when I took it in to Best Buy, they said it was the battery, since I had the Black Tie Coverage, they sent it in somewhere and I was sent a refurbished one.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

The problem may be a mechanical one with the ipod. I had that happen with my ipod and the problem was the connector inside bent from the weight of the top of the ipod pulling it backwards when sitting upright on the dock. Apple replaced it free of charge since it also wouldn't charge when I used the apple charger and connected it to my computer and when I took it into the Apple Store they couldn't get it to charge either. I'd try charging it using the cord and your computer and if you have one try using a USB connector that plugs directly into the wall. If it's still under warranty and still won't charge using either of those methods call Apple. BUT don't just take it to the Apple store. Call first as if you don't have an appointment you can wait for hours to have someone help you.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
minnie1012
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
Mine did that with my iHome alarm clock and when I took it in to Best Buy, they said it was the battery, since I had the Black Tie Coverage, they sent it in somewhere and I was sent a refurbished one.
I bought some sort of extended coverage from Target, maybe I will look into that thanks!

"Sometime an iOS update will break compatibility. Has she updated to the latest iOS recently? If so, that may be the culprit"

I know she didn't do the most recent iOS update because she didn't have enough memory. There may have been one before that though.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boymthr View Post
The problem may be a mechanical one with the ipod. I had that happen with my ipod and the problem was the connector inside bent from the weight of the top of the ipod pulling it backwards when sitting upright on the dock. Apple replaced it free of charge since it also wouldn't charge when I used the apple charger and connected it to my computer and when I took it into the Apple Store they couldn't get it to charge either. I'd try charging it using the cord and your computer and if you have one try using a USB connector that plugs directly into the wall. If it's still under warranty and still won't charge using either of those methods call Apple. BUT don't just take it to the Apple store. Call first as if you don't have an appointment you can wait for hours to have someone help you.
wouldn't work with the dock but charged fine with a USB cord. Turns out one of the pins was bent (probably from DS pulling it out of the dock the wrong way.) I made an appt at the Apple store and they replaced it for free. Have you looked very closely at the pins? You might be able to see it.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
Sometime an iOS update will break compatibility. Has she updated to the latest iOS recently? If so, that may be the culprit
This is what my DD just said.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
minnie1012
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
wouldn't work with the dock but charged fine with a USB cord. Turns out one of the pins was bent (probably from DS pulling it out of the dock the wrong way.) I made an appt at the Apple store and they replaced it for free. Have you looked very closely at the pins? You might be able to see it.
Do you know if Apple will look at it for free if I purchased it at Target? I wasn't sure if I should bring it there to have the "experts" (lol) look at it or go through the service plan at Target where I imagine they will have to send it out etc.

Obviously if there is a charge I will go through Target but if its a quick simple fix then I might try the Apple store
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Do you know if Apple will look at it for free if I purchased it at Target? I wasn't sure if I should bring it there to have the "experts" (lol) look at it or go through the service plan at Target where I imagine they will have to send it out etc.

Obviously if there is a charge I will go through Target but if its a quick simple fix then I might try the Apple store

Did you purchase Target's extended plan? If you did, you have to call them and follow their instructions.

I don't know about going to the Apple store, I always buy directly from Best Buy, because they're closer.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Our was from Walmart

Quote:

and had no extra service plan. They didn't ask anything other than how old it was (less then 6mos but I had no proof of that.) He looked at it, said a pin was dented, and handed me a new one. No charge at all.

A month or two later the home button on mine died. I took it in and they sold me one for 1/2 price. Not sure if that's 'cause we used up our "one time free" or just 'cause we had a different guy. If/when you do go to Apple make sure to get an appt. online first. There is always a long wait.

There doesn't appear to be much that they fix there in the store. They replace it and then send it back to the company where they fix it and sell it as a refurb.

My first thought was to go to Apple, but if they give you a new one then I imagine your service plan w/Target will be invalid since it will have a different ID #.

Good luck!
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: