Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #31
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

The airline gods, rather like the firework gods, are deities that I just prefer to stay under-the-radar with. I feel like if I'm out of their line of sight, I won't be in their firing path.

But I wish you all the best with SouthWest.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #32
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Gosh, I hope your flight home is better this time. I actually toyed flying this time. Even now, I've played with them again. And while I can get a good incoming flight. The return? It sucketh.

I mean, royally. Like one flight that is direct and the ones not direct have layovers in Atlanta. And that one is ubber-expensive.

Yeah, I'll drive.

creativeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #33
Tinkerbellarella
I was all like, "Um, well...that's different

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
The airline gods, rather like the firework gods, are deities that I just prefer to stay under-the-radar with. I feel like if I'm out of their line of sight, I won't be in their firing path.
I have decent luck with fireworks...so long as I'm not trying to find a nice place to photograph them from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Gosh, I hope your flight home is better this time. I actually toyed flying this time. Even now, I've played with them again. And while I can get a good incoming flight. The return? It sucketh.

I mean, royally. Like one flight that is direct and the ones not direct have layovers in Atlanta. And that one is ubber-expensive.

Yeah, I'll drive.
You've no idea how green with envy I am at the thought of being within driving distance of the World. I'm not sure I'd ever entertain the thought of flying again! LOL

Tinkerbellarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #34
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post
You've no idea how green with envy I am at the thought of being within driving distance of the World. I'm not sure I'd ever entertain the thought of flying again! LOL
You know, the vehicle comes in handy, too when you want to sleep just another hour before your lunch ADR at a resort and you can because you have a car there.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #35
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Oh, yeah, I was wondering. . .do you have a Tables in Wonderland Card?

And more importantly, will you be using it to get us a discount at our common meals?

Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #36
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

Quote:
It's a bird!

It's a plane!

Nope. It's just my flight to Disney.

That's not to say that's the only way I could reach the House of Mouse.

Actually, one day I'd like to take the train all the way down! It's on my Disney Trip Bucket List.

I have looked into this and it always, always seemed to land me in some major hub for a 5-hour layover between the hours of 1- and 6:00am. Uh...no thank you.

Quote:
And I've driven down. Once. In the back of an RV. In a baby-sitter/nanny capacity. Over Easter weekend. And stayed off-property in Kissimmee (which I always feel like I'm spelling wrong. I always feel it should look more like Mississippi...moving on...)

I would totally drive down again, cutting the 22-24 hour trek into two days with a stop somewhere in the Carolinas. It would likely have to be a solo trip as BF wouldn't want to be in the car that long. And I honestly wouldn't mind. I love to drive!

Ooh! Ooh! ME!! Pick me!! I would totally drive down with you!!!!! I, too, love to drive. I'm all about the road trip. With two teeny exceptions: no more road trips with the fam (sorry, I love you all, but June pushed my sanity to the brink of failure!), and no more road trips unless I'm in a rental car (or, someone else's new/-ish car....). Again, I defer to the June trip. And that's all I have to say about THAT.

Quote:
But that is not for this trip. This trip I will be entrusting my transportation, as I almost always do, to Southwest and their usually entertaining crew. My brother does a ton of air travel and he likes to call them 'Southworst' (and 'Air Trash'). Keep in mind, though, this is the man that's often traveling 1st Class. (Jerk.) I, for one, have not once EVER had an isse with Southwest - price, schedule or crew. I can count the number of times they've been late on one hand and would need fingers and toes (and maybe then some) to count the times they've gotten me in early.

Ditto. LOVE me some Southwest. Although, lately, not so much with the fares.

Quote:
For those of you who know all this and use Southwest and Early Bird regularly, here's something I found out after talking to Customer Service once: You could've been the first person to book and purchase Early Bird the day your booking window opened (giving you what you think would be the first boarding position) but if someone books, even up until a day ahead, at a higher rate and gets Early Bird, they will receive a better position than you.

It's all about the $$$. Color me surprised.

I just learned this yesterday!.....I added the EB for our flights next month and actually bothered to read the fine print. Yeah, who knew. But, who's surprised. Not me.

Quote:
Also, I booked one way using points and the other way at a great discount so you simply can't beat it. I think it worked out to $70 each way out of pocket (OOP).

You. Suck.

Moving on.....

Quote:
ON DECK: ::cue choir of angels:: The Annual Pass (a.k.a. The Year I Spent in Disney)

Aaaaand, you still suck!! Some days, I would give my left arm (I'm a lefty, so giving my right arm isn't such a sacrifice ) to go to WDW as often as you do. ::sigh:: Maybe someday when I'm old[er] and gray[er].

Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #37
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
You know, the vehicle comes in handy, too when you want to sleep just another hour before your lunch ADR at a resort and you can because you have a car there.
I am fascinated by the idea of driving myself around Disney, but I admit, I'm a wee bit addicted to their transportation (faults included). It always feels so DISNEY. (Even the too cold AC at 8 a.m.! LOL)

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I was wondering. . .do you have a Tables in Wonderland Card?

And more importantly, will you be using it to get us a discount at our common meals?
Yes and absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
I have looked into this and it always, always seemed to land me in some major hub for a 5-hour layover between the hours of 1- and 6:00am. Uh...no thank you.
I've never done that level of research, but that does sound a wee bit sketchy!

Quote:
Ooh! Ooh! ME!! Pick me!! I would totally drive down with you!!!!! I, too, love to drive. I'm all about the road trip. With two teeny exceptions: no more road trips with the fam (sorry, I love you all, but June pushed my sanity to the brink of failure!), and no more road trips unless I'm in a rental car (or, someone else's new/-ish car....). Again, I defer to the June trip. And that's all I have to say about THAT.
Ok then! Looks like I have my driving partner for my next road trip to Disney...you know, whenever that happens to be.
Quote:
I added the EB for our flights next month
NEXT MONTH! Woohoo!

Got your park tickets yet?

Quote:
You. Suck.

Moving on.....

Aaaaand, you still suck!!
Wow, I was majorly sucking, huh?

Quote:
Some days, I would give my left arm (I'm a lefty, so giving my right arm isn't such a sacrifice ) to go to WDW as often as you do. ::sigh:: Maybe someday when I'm old[er] and gray[er].

This is just how it worked out over the past couple of years. I don't know that it will necessarily continue. Next year is likely going to be a 1 trip year and maybe 2 the year after. I don't see another AP in my future until maybe 2014/2015.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #38
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

This is totally so besides the point, but I'm left handed, too.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #39
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
This is totally so besides the point, but I'm left handed, too.
And now I'm totally reminded of The Princess Bride:

"I am not left-handed either."

I'm a right-y m'self.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #40
Tinkerbellarella

Chp. 5: The Annual Pass (a.k.a. The Year I Spent in Disney)

It's been a good Disney year.

A really good Disney year.

An "it hasn't been this good of a Disney year since back when I worked for Starwood and stayed at the Swolphin for $69/night and so was there at least twice a year" good Disney year.

By the time this Annual Pass (AP) expires, it'll have gotten 27 Disney days under it's belt.

If AP's have belts, that is.

Which it probably does.

Since I also have a Tables in Wonderland (TIW) card that has seen much use.

Anywho...

So that works out to roughly $23/day, not bad for getting into a Disney park. And there is no need to discuss how much money I spent on dining, snacks and souvenirs that probably jacked that up to about $120/day...ahem.

How do those 27 days break down? So glad you asked. I show you:

3/8/12-3/14/12 (CSR): Spring trip with BF. Cool. Crowded, on and off. Second time we've gone around this time of year and we're ready now for a longer trip with more resort days, (Mickey, cover your ears) another visit to those other parks, and at least one water park day. Hopefully sometime in May-ish. Won't be a 2013 trip though. I promised BF we could go somewhere non-Disney next year. We're talking about cruising. And no, probably not Disney cruising. Booooooo.

5/12/12-5/18/12 (POFQ): A surprise trip for my friend Missy. This was a BLAST of a girl's trip. She didn't know where we were going until we got to the airport and then each day I would give her a cute little card with the details of the day's itinerary. It was a whole lot of fun. I wish I could do this with all of my friends. Alas, most of my Disney-lovin' friends are planners to the core and I doubt very many of them would completely give up the reigns.

8/18/12-8/21/12 (YC): The trip I shouldn't have taken. Seriously. This was the least fun I've ever had on a trip. It was booked VERY last minute (3 days before I left) and helped me realize something about myself. I'm an obsessive planner just like my friends and need to have a general plan. I'm not great at winging it. My knees and feet were acting up. It was Amazon jungle hot and humid. I was surrounded by entitled, ignorant people (unfortunately mostly from my home state! No joke. At dinner one night all 5 tables around me were seated with people from MA.). The CMs had had it and were tough to swallow too. And the resort...oh how I'd dreamed of staying at the BC or YC. OHH how the YC didn't live up. To be fair, I think it was more because of all of the above-mentioned issues and carpy interaction with a Front Desk CM, but next time I'm definitely staying at BC...and planning ahead!

2/21/13-2/28/13 (BWV/POR): Upcoming trip (duh)! Can't wait!

I don't think there will be so much Disney in my life next year and so I probably won't be renewing my AP. It expires about 10 days after I'm home from this trip.

I really love my AP. It's going to be so hard to say good-bye (NOBoysIIMen). Though, I have to say/question this:

I have had a few AP's in my adult-Disney lifetime and every. single. one. has been on that flimsy paper ticket material. Um. Disney? Seriously. If I can hand over 611+ of my hard-earned dollars, I'm pretty sure you can print that sucker on credit card-like plastic. Heck, that's what my TIW card is on!

UP NEXT: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Dining! (a.k.a. Bring on the TUMS)

Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #41
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Just saw this posted on FB...I'm here; I'll come back later to read.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #42
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Just saw this posted on FB...I'm here; I'll come back later to read.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #43
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

saw the FB shout out and am signing on!

If I were ever to do a race, it would have to be a Disney one, I can't think of better motivation really than using it as a way to get another trip!

Resort plans look great, I adore (adore adore) the Boardwalk. Just returned from a trip there and fell in love.

AP's should be on plastic cards, it really bugs me to no end!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #44
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
saw the FB shout out and am signing on!

Quote:
If I were ever to do a race, it would have to be a Disney one, I can't think of better motivation really than using it as a way to get another trip!
That's actually exactly how my first race happened!

Quote:
Resort plans look great, I adore (adore adore) the Boardwalk. Just returned from a trip there and fell in love.
I can't wait. I have a feeling I'll love it too. I've visited a lot but never stayed.

Quote:
AP's should be on plastic cards, it really bugs me to no end!
I mean seriously! If the otherwise 'disposable' room key is plastic, wouldn't you want an AP, which you'll use again and again, to be plastic?!

Old 11-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #45
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Quote:
It's been a good Disney year.

A really good Disney year.

An "it hasn't been this good of a Disney year since back when I worked for Starwood and stayed at the Swolphin for $69/night and so was there at least twice a year" good Disney year.

By the time this Annual Pass (AP) expires, it'll have gotten 27 Disney days under it's belt.

If AP's have belts, that is.

Which it probably does.

First, the AP has a belt. And a personality. Of course.

Second, 27 days?!? You are my new hero.

Quote:
Since I also have a Tables in Wonderland (TIW) card that has seen much use.
And will see some use soon.

Quote:
Anywho...

So that works out to roughly $23/day, not bad for getting into a Disney park. And there is no need to discuss how much money I spent on dining, snacks and souvenirs that probably jacked that up to about $120/day...ahem.
No need at all. . .Moving on.

Quote:
How do those 27 days break down? So glad you asked. I show you:
I asked?!?

Quote:
3/8/12-3/14/12 (CSR): Spring trip with BF. Cool. Crowded, on and off. Second time we've gone around this time of year and we're ready now for a longer trip with more resort days, (Mickey, cover your ears) another visit to those other parks, and at least one water park day. Hopefully sometime in May-ish. Won't be a 2013 trip though. I promised BF we could go somewhere non-Disney next year. We're talking about cruising. And no, probably not Disney cruising. Booooooo.
Have I not told you about my planned foray into another park? I must do it. That addition isn't a change, is it?

Quote:
5/12/12-5/18/12 (POFQ): A surprise trip for my friend Missy. This was a BLAST of a girl's trip. She didn't know where we were going until we got to the airport and then each day I would give her a cute little card with the details of the day's itinerary. It was a whole lot of fun. I wish I could do this with all of my friends. Alas, most of my Disney-lovin' friends are planners to the core and I doubt very many of them would completely give up the reigns.
Is this the one we got to see yummy noms from Sleepy Hollow on FB?!?

Quote:
8/18/12-8/21/12 (YC): The trip I shouldn't have taken. Seriously. This was the least fun I've ever had on a trip. It was booked VERY last minute (3 days before I left) and helped me realize something about myself. I'm an obsessive planner just like my friends and need to have a general plan. I'm not great at winging it. My knees and feet were acting up. It was Amazon jungle hot and humid. I was surrounded by entitled, ignorant people (unfortunately mostly from my home state! No joke. At dinner one night all 5 tables around me were seated with people from MA.). The CMs had had it and were tough to swallow too. And the resort...oh how I'd dreamed of staying at the BC or YC. OHH how the YC didn't live up. To be fair, I think it was more because of all of the above-mentioned issues and carpy interaction with a Front Desk CM, but next time I'm definitely staying at BC...and planning ahead!
I love the Beach Club, by the way. The cms there were awesome, but I had a not so friendly CM at CSR who could have ruined last trip for me, but I didn't let him.

Quote:
2/21/13-2/28/13 (BWV/POR): Upcoming trip (duh)! Can't wait!
Nor can I!

Quote:
I don't think there will be so much Disney in my life next year and so I probably won't be renewing my AP. It expires about 10 days after I'm home from this trip.

Quote:
I really love my AP. It's going to be so hard to say good-bye (NOBoysIIMen). Though, I have to say/question this:

I have had a few AP's in my adult-Disney lifetime and every. single. one. has been on that flimsy paper ticket material. Um. Disney? Seriously. If I can hand over 611+ of my hard-earned dollars, I'm pretty sure you can print that sucker on credit card-like plastic. Heck, that's what my TIW card is on!
I've wondered that about the AP, as well.

Quote:
UP NEXT: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Dining! (a.k.a. Bring on the TUMS)
Or. . .the things Amanda talked me into reserving.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: