Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Tinkerbellarella
I was all like, "Um, well...that's different

Chp. 2: Tinkerbellarella's History of Disney 5K's (a.k.a. This Running Thing is HARD)

Let's go back. WAAAAAAY back.

Got your cans of Aquanet, ladies and gents? (Yes, the gents too - how else do you think they managed the Flock of Seagulls do?!) Welcome (back) to the 80's.

I was never what you'd consider athletic. Though I was a dancer from ages 3 until 9, and was pretty good, I was still the cute chubby kid in the tutu.

In my Catholic grade/middle school, I liked to read in the shade at recess and was probably the only kid that preferred square dancing to basketball in gym. There was a short stint of playing soccer in there as well, sometime after I gave up dance, but my subconscious isn't really ready to relive those horrific few years.

In high school, I yearned for junior and senior year when we only had to take a 1/2 year of gym. And when I was in gym, I'd take pool (swimming, not billiards) or, if it was available, archery.

Just call me Tinkerbellarella Everdeen.

As an adult I've pretty much perpetually had a gym membership that I've flirted with.

However, NEVER in my almost 33 years have I ever been a runner. Never ever. I have maybe been a fast-ish walker, especially when late for my train home. I'm probably realistically a stroll-er (as opposed to a stroller, a.k.a. baby carriage, a.k.a. pram, because how many times do you get to use an AWESOME word like pram on this side of the pond?!)

I am DEFINITELY a world reknowned hammock napper.

If there were a Hammock Olympics, I'd take the gold in the Women's Napping Division every time.

Michael Phelps who? Pshht.

So, given that history, you can pretty clearly see why I relate so well to this photo:

Thanks to juxtapost.com for the image!

At this point you may be asking yourself, as I've asked my own self many a times, why then a 5K Tinkerbellarella?!

I may not BE a runner, but I have total runner's envy. I WANT to be a runner. In the worst way. And no, I have no idea why. I could bring it up in my therapy session on Saturday, but I think I'd actually rather not get all Freudian on it and just chalk it up to hopes and dreams.

And really cute shorts and sneakers.

I do enjoy a good walk, especially in the outdoors as opposed to on the dreadmill (that wasn't a misspelling, by the way). And 3.1 miles has never sounded particularly daunting to me.

And then a few years back I heard that they did 5Ks in Disney (among races of other varying lengths). I was intrigued. Races in Disney? Really? Another excuse...er...reason...er...oh LOOK! How convenient! This really cool 5K I'm randomly signing up for just happens to be in Disney!!! Whoda thunk it?

At least that's how I sold it.

Despite prepping, I knew I wouldn't be ready to run, or even slowly jog, the entire 5K, but you've got to start somewhere. There is a loosely enforced pace requirement for the 5Ks of a 16 minute mile and I figured I'd be good to go with walking at a fast clip.

My first Disney 5K was in February of 2011 as part of the Princess 1/2 Marathon weekend. I was NERVOUS. Though I was participating with my good friend LegoMom, I was going to be in the last pacing corral while she was going to be somewhere ahead of me, as she's a more experienced runner and in much better shape than I am. Essentially, I was doing the race alone (with probably a thousand other people).

The race route was through various areas of Epcot, both on-stage and off, and as I stood there in the corral, minutes before go time, all I could think was:

Will I be able to run at all?

What if I fall?

Will I be last?

Will I finish?

Where in the World IS Carmen Sandiego???

All the angst was for naught. The race was a LOT of fun. The other runners were very friendly and encouraged each other the whole way. The CMs along the route cheered us on like only someone with GIANT white gloves on can do. I did a little bit of jogging and a lot of walking. And I did finish. And not last.

I was immediately hooked and ready to do another one. I signed up for the Halloween 5K as part of the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon weekend in September of 2011 with my brother, his girlfriend, and my good buddy, TarzansKat (where is KittyKat, anyway?? Someone want to bring her on over to these parts? A Tinkerbellarella PTR is just not the same without some TK/Tink back-and-forth!). This race course was through Animal Kingdom which has some...interesting...smells at 7:00 a.m. Though it was still a lot of fun, I'd put on about 20lbs, so I actually found this race to be a bit more challenging. By the end of the race I was pretty much ready to call it quits and have someone just roll me across the finish line. My hips were feeling wonky and my feet were filing divorce papers. I did finish though, and upright to boot.

And that brings us to this upcoming 5K. It is, again, over the Princess 1/2 marathon weekend and I want to make this the BEST one yet!

To ensure success, I've set some goals for myself:

*I haven't yet lost those 20lbs I "found" prior to the September race that ultimately made me so miserable. And I've actually found a few more (if by few you mean way too flippin' many) since. The goal is to be back at/less than my Feb. 2011 race weight by 2/23/13 (race day).

*I want to wog this race (wogging = walking + jogging) moreso than I did in Feb. 2011. My ultimate goal is to be able to run an entire 5K but I'm not ready to put that kind of pressure on myself (or my knees) just yet.

*I'm going to use my previous success as motivation because I want to feel confident in that start corral. I want to feel happy. I want to feel excited. I want to enjoy every step of those 3.1 miles.

These races have been like no other experience. Disney treats their race participants really well, both in their Expo offerings, on the course, and even with prep tools and info. prior to the race. If I could bottle up and sell the exhileration I felt during that first race, I could buy into DVC. (Priorities, you know).

I've got a lot of work to do, and a lot more than 3.1 miles ahead of me. But now I have even more friends to motivate me, to laugh with, to cry with, and to do BenGay runs for me. I'll document all of my progress here - weight loss related, 5K training related, trip planning related. And I look forward to your feedback, your support, and yes, even your teasing. Remember...

I'm pretty sure that's my exact running face.

ON DECK: Where I Hang My Mouse Ears Is Home (a.k.a. The trip with NO resort changes!...well, except that one.)

Tinkerbellarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post
Let's go back. WAAAAAAY back.

Got your cans of Aquanet, ladies and gents? (Yes, the gents too - how else do you think they managed the Flock of Seagulls do?!) Welcome (back) to the 80's.

I loved the 80s, although I never had "big hair." There's just too much of it and not enough AquaNet in the world to make it stay "up."

Quote:
In high school, I yearned for junior and senior year when we only had to take a 1/2 year of gym. And when I was in gym, I'd take pool (swimming, not billiards) or, if it was available, archery.

Just call me Tinkerbellarella Everdeen.

Dude!....what the heck kind of high school did you go to that offered archery?!! That is cool beyond words!

Quote:
As an adult I've pretty much perpetually had a gym membership that I've flirted with.

No more flirting. Commitment, woman!

Quote:
However, NEVER in my almost 33 years have I ever been a runner. Never ever. I have maybe been a fast-ish walker, especially when late for my train home. I'm probably realistically a stroll-er (as opposed to a stroller, a.k.a. baby carriage, a.k.a. pram, because how many times do you get to use an AWESOME word like pram on this side of the pond?!)

I will find a way to use it in conversation when we get together.

Quote:
So, given that history, you can pretty clearly see why I relate so well to this photo:

Thanks to juxtapost.com for the image!

This is my favorite running photo EVER!!!! I am SO sure I look just like that little kid! (esp. given my lack of leg length. Just sayin.'

Quote:
My first Disney 5K was in February of 2011 as part of the Princess 1/2 Marathon weekend. I was NERVOUS. Though I was participating with my good friend LegoMom, I was going to be in the last pacing corral while she was going to be somewhere ahead of me, as she's a more experienced runner and in much better shape than I am. Essentially, I was doing the race alone (with probably a thousand other people).

"Great, now I have guilt!!!"

Quote:
I was immediately hooked and ready to do another one. I signed up for the Halloween 5K as part of the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon weekend in September of 2011 with my brother, his girlfriend, and my good buddy, TarzansKat (where is KittyKat, anyway?? Someone want to bring her on over to these parts? A Tinkerbellarella PTR is just not the same without some TK/Tink back-and-forth!). This race course was through Animal Kingdom which has some...interesting...smells at 7:00 a.m. Though it was still a lot of fun, I'd put on about 20lbs, so I actually found this race to be a bit more challenging. By the end of the race I was pretty much ready to call it quits and have someone just roll me across the finish line. My hips were feeling wonky and my feet were filing divorce papers. I did finish though, and upright to boot.

Great imagery!

IF....and you know how big that IF is.....IF I can ever do another Disney race, I'd like to try the Tower of Terror 10-miler. It's a little less intimidating than a Half.

::sigh:: Well, great chapter, but now I want to do another Disney race. But I've said it before and I'll say it again,

RUN, TINKERBELLARELLA, RUN!!!

Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

YAY! Guess what?!? I made a resort change today! HAHA! Added the play, stay, dine whatever code to the package and moved to CSR.

creativeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I'm in! And I'll be there at the same time, I'm going to be running the 5K too! I'm going with my sister and niece, my sister is running the Princess half! I'm not a runner at all, I'm overweight and out of shape, I tried the Couch to 5K last year and failed miserably, so I'm hoping I can get myself into good enough shape in the next few months so that I can run most of the 5K! Maybe we'll be wogging next to each other during the race!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
Dude!....what the heck kind of high school did you go to that offered archery?!! That is cool beyond words!
It was pretty cool. It was indoor and not offered often.

Quote:
I will find a way to use it in conversation when we get together.
Pram. Pram. Pram.

Prim pram.

Prim pram prom.

Quote:
This is my favorite running photo EVER!!!! I am SO sure I look just like that little kid! (esp. given my lack of leg length. Just sayin.'
Mine too.

Quote:
"Great, now I have guilt!!!"
C.A.R.P.

No.

I didn't mean for it to come out that way. Please don't have guilt. I'm an idiot. I wasn't sad that I wasn't running with you (geez - even that sounds wrong!!!)...I mean, I was happy for you to be running, I was really more intimidated about not being able to keep pace with others and freaking myself out. If you'd stayed behind with me, I'd have actually felt awful about it, like I was slowing you down.

UGH.

I should stop trying now.

But please, no guilt, k?

Quote:
RUN, TINKERBELLARELLA, RUN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
YAY! Guess what?!? I made a resort change today! HAHA! Added the play, stay, dine whatever code to the package and moved to CSR.
Of COURSE you did. Murphy's Law, as it applies to Disney, says that as soon as I post that there will be no resort changes, there will be a resort change.

Oooo. CSR. We LOVED CSR. I was tempted to stay there for my add-on, but I have this silly obsession with staying at EVERY Disney resort but...well, more on that in the next chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I'm in! And I'll be there at the same time, I'm going to be running the 5K too! I'm going with my sister and niece, my sister is running the Princess half! I'm not a runner at all, I'm overweight and out of shape, I tried the Couch to 5K last year and failed miserably, so I'm hoping I can get myself into good enough shape in the next few months so that I can run most of the 5K! Maybe we'll be wogging next to each other during the race!
Woohoo! I'd love to meet up, even if we just do it at the Start corral or after or something. There seem to be a bunch of DISers going and it would be neat to say hi. I have identified what's going on my shirt (and it's fairly unique and will be debuted in a later chapter), and I'll post a picture of myself before I go, but I'd like to find something (non-lime green) to identify myself to other DISers so they say hello during the race!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

I have actually thought of moving over to POFQ. Or CBR. Never done CBR. HMMMMMM. . . .It's a good thing it's already 11:00pm, or I'd already be on the phone.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
I have actually thought of moving over to POFQ. Or CBR. Never done CBR. HMMMMMM. . . .It's a good thing it's already 11:00pm, or I'd already be on the phone.

So, I have to say, after staying at all but one Mod, my favorite is....

::drumroll::

ALL of them. For different reasons.

Here's the lowdown the way I see it:

CSR: the closest thing to a Deluxe without paying Deluxe. I find it to be quieter and, when BF and I were there in March when the rest of the resorts were very busy, it was positively peaceful there. The rooms are lovely, the early morning coffee walking is divine, and I simply love the FEEL of the resort. You and DD stayed there on your Mother/Daughter trip, yes? Really my only criticism? The CS always felt crowded and inadequate.

POFQ: stayed there in May with Missy and LOVED it. The renovated rooms were very nice, and it was a cozy resort without feeling cramped. Definitely one of the prettier resorts to walk in the early morning, camera in hand. The way the sun works through the trees and all that gorgeous iron scrollwork on the buildings was divine. Con here? The bus stop was almost always packed. Good service but A LOT of people seemingly all the time. And it was a pretty slow period.

CBR: I love this resort for two reasons - the memories of staying here with my grandparents on our second and last Disney trip, about 8 months before my gram passed, and my girl's trip with Kat. It's fun and it at times feels almost Poly-ish. And we know how I feel about the Poly. I'd marry it if I could. And actually, I can't think of any negatives I have. It is a BIG resort and sometimes far-flung the way POR is, but personally I love that.

So tell me, now that Reservations is open for the day, have you made another change? I am counting

Old 10-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #23
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Nope. Not yet. I'm probably going to stay at CSR, because it does have a fitness center, and I like to lift weights 2X per week. And plus, after doing the trail today for the Myrtle Beach 1/2 next week, I'm pooped.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
Tinkerbellarella

Chp. 3: Where I Hang My Mouse Ears Is Home (a.k.a. The trip with NO resort changes!)

Ok. That might already be the teensiest bit of a lie. There have been resort changes...

Well, only one real change, the others were just add-ons.

And that's it. There won't be any others. AT ALL. Ever. For this trip. I think. Probably. Maybe.

I fully admit that I have drunk the Mouse's Kool-Aid and am a snob about staying onsite when visiting Walt's Kingdom. So much so that when we visited those OTHER parks ::shhhh!:: I wanted to stay on property there too. I know that not everyone feels the same way, but I have made the decision in the past to simply not go on a trip because I couldn't afford a Disney resort.

Though I truly believe I can have a great Disney trip staying anywhere (yes, even off-site), I do find that where I choose to stay lends a certain flavor to my vacation. I make park, dining and down-time plans based on where I decide to hang my Mouse Ears for the duration.

For me there's just something about waking up "in the show," whether I'm watching the sun rise from a Polynesian beach, greeting the day in the Bayou, or walking to breakfast on the field of a giant foosball table. There's not much like returning "home" each evening with tired feet and a whole new batch of Disney memories for a dip in a pool with a sandy bottom or to watch the enormous pelicans settle in by a watering hole in the moonlight.

It seems silly to some, paying boku bucks for what is physically no more than a box with a bed and a bathroom, but for me many of my strongest memories are ones at the resorts:

~ Going to my first character breakfast at The Laughing Kookaburra and the Mickey Mouse phone in our room at the Buena Vista Palace (by Downtown; I think it's a Wyndham now)

~ Swimming not in the Pirate pool, but the quiet pool in Trinidad North, with my brother and grandfather, while my grandmother read the latest Danielle Steele novel in the shade of an umbrella table

~ Watching my BF "get" Disney my way for the first time as he watched the giraffes stroll over to have some lunch, about 100 feet from our balcony

~ Kat and I racing back to our room at CBR, splashing in every puddle along the way, feeling not like adults, but FREE like children

~ Sharing that initial awe the AKL lobby brings with my sweet friend LegoMom; thinking back on that, I'm pretty sure I was holding my breath as we first walked in

~ Coffee-walking at the Poly, just me, the bunnies, the ducks and the peace of a quiet, misty morning

All of these reasons and many more make shelling out the pesos 100% worthwhile.

When it was time to decide where we would stay for this trip, Amanda and I were completely in tune on two things for sure - we wanted to stay at an Epcot-area resort and we wanted to stay Deluxe. As I had recently returned from a rather unsatisfactory trip that included a stay at the Yacht Club, and as Amanda was not quite feeling the Beach Club was "it" for this trip, we decided on the Boardwalk.

A villa at the Boardwalk to be exact.

I'd had a great experience renting DVC points in the past from a private renter I found here on the boards, and this time around I decided to use a company, The DVC Rental Store. It's a great way to stay Deluxe for less than almost any discount can get you. In a matter of about 24 hours we had a confirmation # and a signed rental contract for a Garden/Pool View Studio at the Boardwalk.

A stay at the Boardwalk meant perfect proximity to Epcot (my favorite park) and the Italian Margarita at the Tutto kiosk in Italy. It meant being able to walk to DHS too! It meant built-in race transportation (as BW is an official race resort). It meant being able to check out the (kinda creepy clown pool) and those ULTRA creepy chairs in the lobby. (I'm still not sure about the last one.)

Not only did I feel like this would be the *perfect* resort for this trip, I could also cross a new resort off the list.

What list?

The "I Want to Stay at Every Disney Resort at Least Once" list.

So far, I've stayed at:

POP Century
All Star Music
All Star Sports
Caribbean Beach
Port Orleans French Quarter
Coronado Springs
Dolphin
Swan
Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House)
Polynesian
Yacht Club
and now
Boardwalk!

That was it! We were locked in! No resort changing angst!

Until Amanda mentioned she was adding some nights onto the beginning of her trip. Three nights to be exact. At POP.

I had total extended stay envy. And that never leads to anything good. Except when it leads to an extended stay of my own.

Two nights at Port Orleans Riverside (and ANOTHER resort to add to the list)!

(I love lists. Almost as much as the lovely Lady Lallie. Where IS LL, by the way???)

Done and DONE!

Except when you're not done.

Because Disney releases a new deal that allows for an affordable upgrade to a Mod which prompts someone ::coughAMANDAcough:: to make a(nother) change.

Our trip now breaks down as follows:

2/18/13-2/21/13: Amanda at Coronado Springs
2/21/13-2/26/13: Me and Amanda at Boardwalk
2/26/13-2/28/13: Me at Port Orleans Riverside

And to me it looks practically perfect in every way just the way it is.

Although it would only cost me a total of about $34 to upgrade to one of the new Royal rooms...that doesn't count as a resort change.

Right?

RIGHT??

ON DECK: Fly Like an Eagle (a.k.a. Early Bird Check-in=Best $10 Ever Spent)

Old 10-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Quote:
[COLOR="Teal"] Ok. That might already be the teensiest bit of a lie. There have been resort changes...

Well, only one real change, the others were just add-ons.
Ugh. Are you saying I'm the one who changed? Moi?!?

Okay. Guess I did.

Quote:
[COLOR="Teal"]And that's it. There won't be any others. AT ALL. Ever. For this trip. I think. Probably. Maybe.
Wug-evah! I see one coming from you.

After all, aren't we still wait-listed for BCV?

Quote:
I fully admit that I have drunk the Mouse's Kool-Aid and am a snob about staying onsite when visiting Walt's Kingdom. So much so that when we visited those OTHER parks ::shhhh!:: I wanted to stay on property there too. I know that not everyone feels the same way, but I have made the decision in the past to simply not go on a trip because I couldn't afford a Disney resort.

Wait. What? There's another way to stay and do Disney? Whoathunkit?

Quote:
Though I truly believe I can have a great Disney trip staying anywhere (yes, even off-site), I do find that where I choose to stay lends a certain flavor to my vacation. I make park, dining and down-time plans based on where I decide to hang my Mouse Ears for the duration.

For me there's just something about waking up "in the show," whether I'm watching the sun rise from a Polynesian beach, greeting the day in the Bayou, or walking to breakfast on the field of a giant foosball table. There's not much like returning "home" each evening with tired feet and a whole new batch of Disney memories for a dip in a pool with a sandy bottom or to watch the enormous pelicans settle in by a watering hole in the moonlight.
Ahhh. . .

Quote:
It seems silly to some, paying boku bucks for what is physically no more than a box with a bed and a bathroom, but for me many of my strongest memories are ones at the resorts:

~ Going to my first character breakfast at The Laughing Kookaburra and the Mickey Mouse phone in our room at the Buena Vista Palace (by Downtown; I think it's a Wyndham now)

~ Swimming not in the Pirate pool, but the quiet pool in Trinidad North, with my brother and grandfather, while my grandmother read the latest Danielle Steele novel in the shade of an umbrella table

~ Watching my BF "get" Disney my way for the first time as he watched the giraffes stroll over to have some lunch, about 100 feet from our balcony

~ Kat and I racing back to our room at CBR, splashing in every puddle along the way, feeling not like adults, but FREE like children

~ Sharing that initial awe the AKL lobby brings with my sweet friend LegoMom; thinking back on that, I'm pretty sure I was holding my breath as we first walked in

~ Coffee-walking at the Poly, just me, the bunnies, the ducks and the peace of a quiet, misty morning

All of these reasons and many more make shelling out the pesos 100% worthwhile.
Wow. That's exactly what it's all about.

Truly.

Quote:
When it was time to decide where we would stay for this trip, Amanda and I were completely in tune on two things for sure - we wanted to stay at an Epcot-area resort and we wanted to stay Deluxe. As I had recently returned from a rather unsatisfactory trip that included a stay at the Yacht Club, and as Amanda was not quite feeling the Beach Club was "it" for this trip, we decided on the Boardwalk.

A villa at the Boardwalk to be exact.
And every time I see this in writing I want to jump for joy again!

Quote:
I'd had a great experience renting DVC points in the past from a private renter I found here on the boards, and this time around I decided to use a company, The DVC Rental Store. It's a great way to stay Deluxe for less than almost any discount can get you. In a matter of about 24 hours we had a confirmation # and a signed rental contract for a Garden/Pool View Studio at the Boardwalk.

Quote:
A stay at the Boardwalk meant perfect proximity to Epcot (my favorite park) and the Italian Margarita at the Tutto kiosk in Italy. It meant being able to walk to DHS too! It meant built-in race transportation (as BW is an official race resort). It meant being able to check out the (kinda creepy clown pool) and those ULTRA creepy chairs in the lobby. (I'm still not sure about the last one.)
And I'm still not sure about the pool.

Quote:
Not only did I feel like this would be the *perfect* resort for this trip, I could also cross a new resort off the list.

What list?

The "I Want to Stay at Every Disney Resort at Least Once" list.

So far, I've stayed at:

POP Century
All Star Music
All Star Sports
Caribbean Beach
Port Orleans French Quarter
Coronado Springs
Dolphin
Swan
Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House)
Polynesian
Yacht Club
and now
Boardwalk!

That was it! We were locked in! No resort changing angst!
Wow. That's quite a list you got there. . .

Quote:
Until Amanda mentioned she was adding some nights onto the beginning of her trip. Three nights to be exact. At POP.
Who? Me?

Quote:
I had total extended stay envy. And that never leads to anything good. Except when it leads to an extended stay of my own.

Two nights at Port Orleans Riverside (and ANOTHER resort to add to the list)!
And I have total POR envy on this one, because my family won't be with me. So glad you are going!

Quote:
(I love lists. Almost as much as the lovely Lady Lallie. Where IS LL, by the way???)

Done and DONE!

Except when you're not done.

Because Disney releases a new deal that allows for an affordable upgrade to a Mod which prompts someone ::coughAMANDAcough:: to make a(nother) change.
Okay, so this one is totally and completely my fault. I even stayed on the phone for my commute to work to lock in CSR.

Quote:
Our trip now breaks down as follows:

2/18/13-2/21/13: Amanda at Coronado Springs
2/21/13-2/26/13: Me and Amanda at Boardwalk
2/26/13-2/28/13: Me at Port Orleans Riverside

And to me it looks practically perfect in every way just the way it is.

Although it would only cost me a total of about $34 to upgrade to one of the new Royal rooms...that doesn't count as a resort change.

Right?

RIGHT??

ON DECK: Fly Like an Eagle (a.k.a. Early Bird Check-in=Best $10 Ever Spent)
Hmmmm. . . I don't think my change should count as a change, since it was less than a $50 increase.

By the way, what is it with the Dis taking away our babnana and putting that creepy clown in the quick link smilies?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Sounds like there won't be a resort change on the cards AT ALL. Ever. For this trip. I think. Probably. Maybe.

Having stayed off-site for one of my trips, I totally agree with the view of shelling out the $$$ for an on-site hotel.

The Epcot resort area is where I think I like to stay. Its real close to Epcot and DHS and most/all the resorts there are Deluxe.

I like POR. Some people say that it is too big and there is a lot of walking from your room to the main facilities. But I didn't find it that bad. I hope you enjoy it there.

Sounds like your plans are all coming together.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #27
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

You know, when we approached the AKL lobby (after being chauffeured in a luxury SUV, I might add!!), and the CMs smiled and said "Welcome home!", I'm pretty sure that I was willing to scrub the lobby top to bottom with a toothbrush, for a living, if that meant I could, indeed, call that my "home." It was like a dream that I wanted to never end. Even if it also meant I had to be "Mr. Tink" for 2 days.....

Ok, and.....Miss Amanda -- you do know that creepy clown lives at the BW??! I was slightly shocked, I admit, when I heard that you guys were staying there, of all places! Seems to me you had once sworn you'd never stay there, because of said clown. Just sayin'.....

And yes, I'm officially envious.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #28
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Quote:
Ok, and.....Miss Amanda -- you do know that creepy clown lives at the BW??! I was slightly shocked, I admit, when I heard that you guys were staying there, of all places! Seems to me you had once sworn you'd never stay there, because of said clown. Just sayin'.....

And yes, I'm officially envious.
LOL, Legomom--I have no plans to go swimming in February. But I do like the decor of BW, and I'm hoping we have a garden view room.

Or I just won't go on the balcony.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #29
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
Ugh. Are you saying I'm the one who changed? Moi?!?

Okay. Guess I did.

And I love you all the more for it.

Quote:
Wug-evah! I see one coming from you.
I priced out CR and the Poly in particular just to know that I CANNOT afford to stay 2 nights at either and to remove temptation at the onset.

But I AM kind of intrigued about that Royal room type...

Quote:
After all, aren't we still wait-listed for BCV?
Nope. We're wait-listed for a standard view to save a few bucks and since our current view is Garden/Pool/Creepy Clown

Quote:
Wow. That's exactly what it's all about.

Truly.

Quote:
And I'm still not sure about the pool.
I'M not sure about those creepy chairs in the lobby. Have you SEEN them?! ::shiver::

Quote:
And I have total POR envy on this one, because my family won't be with me. So glad you are going!
I LOVED walking around here in the mornings in May. And while I loved the Mansions section, I loved, even more, the seclusion of the Bayou section. And I don't mind a walk so wherever they put me is fine with me!

Quote:
Okay, so this one is totally and completely my fault. I even stayed on the phone for my commute to work to lock in CSR.
I am TOTALLY guilty of making various sundry reservations at Disney during my train commute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Sounds like there won't be a resort change on the cards AT ALL. Ever. For this trip. I think. Probably. Maybe.
Possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I like POR. Some people say that it is too big and there is a lot of walking from your room to the main facilities. But I didn't find it that bad. I hope you enjoy it there.
Oh it's definitely sizable, but I feel like what I pay for in extra walking I'll make up in seclusion and ambiance.

Quote:
You know, when we approached the AKL lobby (after being chauffeured in a luxury SUV, I might add!!), and the CMs smiled and said "Welcome home!", I'm pretty sure that I was willing to scrub the lobby top to bottom with a toothbrush, for a living, if that meant I could, indeed, call that my "home."
Many a time have I said I'd stay in a broom closet in Disney. And that is not a lie. I wonder if the AKL broom closets are more spacious than the POP broom closets? Hmm...

Quote:
Even if it also meant I had to be "Mr. Tink" for 2 days.....
You were a fabulous Mr. Tink. You'd be far less expensive to feed.

Quote:
I'm wondering if I should arrange for therapy for Amanda to deal with post-clown PTSD upon her return from this trip?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
Tinkerbellarella

Chp. 4: Fly Like an Eagle (a.k.a. Early Bird Check-in=Best $10 Ever Spent)

It's a bird!

It's a plane!

Nope. It's just my flight to Disney.

That's not to say that's the only way I could reach the House of Mouse.

Actually, one day I'd like to take the train all the way down! It's on my Disney Trip Bucket List.

And I've driven down. Once. In the back of an RV. In a baby-sitter/nanny capacity. Over Easter weekend. And stayed off-property in Kissimmee (which I always feel like I'm spelling wrong. I always feel it should look more like Mississippi...moving on...)

I would totally drive down again, cutting the 22-24 hour trek into two days with a stop somewhere in the Carolinas. It would likely have to be a solo trip as BF wouldn't want to be in the car that long. And I honestly wouldn't mind. I love to drive!

But that is not for this trip. This trip I will be entrusting my transportation, as I almost always do, to Southwest and their usually entertaining crew. My brother does a ton of air travel and he likes to call them 'Southworst' (and 'Air Trash'). Keep in mind, though, this is the man that's often traveling 1st Class. (Jerk.) I, for one, have not once EVER had an isse with Southwest - price, schedule or crew. I can count the number of times they've been late on one hand and would need fingers and toes (and maybe then some) to count the times they've gotten me in early.

Admittedly, I wasn't always a diehard fan. I only tolerated their old "corral" type boarding back in the days of simply A, B and C groupings. It was disorganized at best and outright hostile at worst. However, I like the way they organize boarding now.

For those of you who don't know, Southwest issues each passenger a board group (A, B, C) and number (1-60). What you get is determined by a number of factors including when you booked, when you checked in, what you paid, and if you purchased Early Bird Check-in (which, for $10/person/flight checks you in 36 hours in advance, rather than the standard 24 hour window).

For those of you who know all this and use Southwest and Early Bird regularly, here's something I found out after talking to Customer Service once: You could've been the first person to book and purchase Early Bird the day your booking window opened (giving you what you think would be the first boarding position) but if someone books, even up until a day ahead, at a higher rate and gets Early Bird, they will receive a better position than you.

It's all about the $$$. Color me surprised.

(I've also been told that if your flight is delayed more than an hour you can switch to another flight with no change fee so long as there is availability. I haven't researched that one yet, though.)

I digress...

I have always been in the A group and almost always somewhere 16-30 (1-15 is reserved for Business Class flyers).

All this to say...I probably just totally jinxed myself for January.

My flight leaves T.F. Green (Providence, RI...if by Providence you really mean Warwick, RI) at 7:00 a.m. on Thursday 2/23/13. If we're on time (but hopefully early), we're due to arrive at 10:05. It's a direct flight. I'm kind of a direct flight snob. (I'm also a grocery store snob, but that's another story for another time.) I can't see extending what is only a 3 hour flight by stopping somewhere else, even for a lower rate. I value my time spent in the World that Walt Built more valuably than a few bucks.

Also, I booked one way using points and the other way at a great discount so you simply can't beat it. I think it worked out to $70 each way out of pocket (OOP).

I guess, since we're talking about transportation, we can also discuss my flight home though, let's just be honest, everyone detests that flight. And the horse (or Magical Express bus) it rode in on. I can't complain too much since it's a late flight (leaves at 6:55 p.m., arriving at 9:35 p.m. on 2/28/13) giving me just about a whole Disney day. Unless it's delayed.

Like my August flight home.

Which didn't leave until about 11:00 p.m.

And trapped me at MCO's Gate 120 (a.k.a. the suckiest gate in that terminal) with every manner of humanity and the mysterious wind.

The moaning, screeching, drumming boy.

The man that changed his pants in the middle of the terminal.

The Orlando sweatshirt cult (of which I was part of the pink and blue faction).

Some of you participated in the FB-posting marathon about said event but for those of you who didn't, holy rediculousness. I'm not usually too put off about a delay home. It actually allows me to acclimate to non-Disney life and time a little bit better (once I'm done grieving my departure from Dole Whip City) and is a great excuse to buy a new book. Or seven. Or maybe that's just me. But this delay, and all that it entailed, just felt out of control.

Anywho...that's the deal with the February flights. Let's start praying to the airline gods that all goes well.

Please?

Pretty please?

I'm not past bribery.

ON DECK: ::cue choir of angels:: The Annual Pass (a.k.a. The Year I Spent in Disney)

Last edited by Tinkerbellarella; 10-19-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: