Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Diabetiesand TSA

Sadly my wife was told today she does indeed have diabeties and is on the pen injections for insulin.

The Doctors office gave us 2 months worth of the pens so we won't have the prescriptions on the pens or boxes. Is this considered a problem? I know the TSA rules say you need to have meds in the prescription bottles.

We sail on Novmeber 3 on the Fantasy.

Thanks for your help.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper
Sadly my wife was told today she does indeed have diabeties and is on the pen injections for insulin.

The Doctors office gave us 2 months worth of the pens so we won't have the prescriptions on the pens or boxes. Is this considered a problem? I know the TSA rules say you need to have meds in the prescription bottles.

We sail on Novmeber 3 on the Fantasy.

Thanks for your help.

AKK
They don't need to be in their origainal containers I would just keep then in a zip lock bag just incase you want them hand inspected instead of X-ray.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ngers-diabetes

Here where it tells you about medications

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...eds-medication

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
disney david
DIS Veteran

Here some cbp info not sure if this apply sorry if it dose not since your bringing drug from us back and not import them. Just to be on the safe side I am sharing this with you.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/cl...tion_drugs.xml

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
EllieMaie
Mouseketeer

I fly on a regular basis for work and have never had a problem with my supplies (insulin, lancets, needles, etc...). Like a previous poster suggested, I keep it all in a Ziploc bag so it can be taken out easily but I have never had the need. I have talked to a couple TSA agents about it and was told they can easily recognize diabetic supplies in the machines.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

This is one of those, IMO oxymorons.. From the above link about diabetes

Quote:
If the passenger does not want a liquid, gel, or aerosol X-rayed or opened for additional screening, he or she should inform the officer before screening begins. Additional screening of the passenger and his or her property may be required, which may include a patdown.

Soooo, if I dont want them to examine, open, xray my liquids, gels or aerosols, all I have to do is tell them and let them feel me up and they wont mess with them? Ummmm.. that seems like a hell of a loophole.. What am I missing there lol? Since someone who would want to do major harm probably has already accepted they arent going to survive... well, seems to be an issue IMO...
Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

we place our medical supplies in the ziploc bags, remove it & keep it separate at the screening, like place it in the bin or hold it next our bag when it is our turn in line. we always let them know our medical supplies is inside the zippie bag & if they prefer the bin or back in the bag. never had a problem.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago, less than a week before we were to leave for WDW for the Food & Wine Festival. My first reaction, was no way, I refuse to be a diabetic, and I especially refuse to be one right now. No way am I learning a new diet, just days before the Food & Wine Festival. Talk about being overwhelmed. While I was still sitting there in denial, she was dropping info, a glucometer and strips, and a couple of Victoza pens in my lap. The Victoza pens did not have a label on them either. However, I was in such shock with the diabetes diagnosis, that I didn't even think about getting them through the TSA checkpoint at the airport, until just a day or two before we left. I checked the TSA site online, called my local airport and like you posted a question on here asking about them. They were no problem and never even recieved a second look from the TSA agent. I have flown with them multiple times since then and never carry the box that has the prescription on it. I just put one of the pens and a few needles in a quart bag and pull it out to place in a bin with my 3-1-1 bag. It's never received a second look. My mom travels with two bottles of Lantus and two bottles of Humalog insulin. She always takes them out of the boxes with the prescriptions on it and puts them in a little insulin zip thingy that has elastic bands that holds her insulin secure. Those bottles do not have a prescription on them. She just puts the little zip thingy in a bin with her 3-1-1 bag and she too has never received a second look. I used to take my glucometer and lancets out, but now I don't even do that. I just leave them in the carry on and have never been questioned about those either.

Just FYI: Meds do not have to be in the prescription bottles either. We always set our meds up in pill boxes and have never had a word said about it. I have my regular meds set up in one pill box and any PRN meds I think I might need set up in another pill box.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Gee Thanks to everyone........this seem to be a not brainer and we will of course follow your expriences and suggestions.......

I know TSA has a important and not a easy job to do, so I always try to get things right and prevent a problem when going though serurity.

Thanks agian!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

I fly all the time with Novolog and Lantus, plus needles, lancets, etc. I usually don't even take them out of my bag, and TSA has never said one peep about it. At airports in other countries I will usually take the insulin out of my carry-on and place it in the bin to go through the X-ray, but I've never had anyone question it anywhere. I never have prescription labels, either. You'll be just fine!
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
Soooo, if I dont want them to examine, open, xray my liquids, gels or aerosols, all I have to do is tell them and let them feel me up and they wont mess with them? Ummmm.. that seems like a hell of a loophole.. What am I missing there lol? Since someone who would want to do major harm probably has already accepted they arent going to survive... well, seems to be an issue IMO...
They may still examine them, and they might wipe them down. We have water with our T1D supplies and have been asked to open the bottle so that they can test it, they poor it into a cup and dip a stick into it. And when I ask them to not xray the insulin they will do the wipe down test thing.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

Oh wanted to add that I'd also get a travel letter from the doctor. We have rarely have issues with TSA, but we have had issues. Especially if we have to change gates at the Spokane airport which requires another trip through TSA.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
CKCruising
Mouseketeer

I travel with most of my supplies in a carrying case (DS Russell Journeyer). I have never had them examined. I have a dr. note in with it just in case. I don't have the prescriptions and the insulin is normally removed from the packaging. I have never tried to bring juice/water through. I don't feel it's that necessary.
Getting through the scanner with a pump in Orlando is a different story. I have always been sent to the secondary area.

April 2009 - Disney Magic Eastern Carribean, Nov. 2010 - Disney Magic Western Carribean
April 2010 - AKL (Jambo), August 2011 - SSR (THV) + VB, October 2011 - BLT [MNSSHP], March 2012 - AKL (Kidani), December 2012 - BLT [NYE]
CKCruising is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: