Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
LovingMotherhood
Earning My Ears

Disappointed with Not So Scary Halloween Party..

We are so disappointed…the night we went to the Not So Scary Halloween Party It rained all night. They cancelled both parades and fireworks. We were really looking forward to that. We walked around the park looking for the jack o lanterns to get some candy but we only found one close to Splash Mountain and no one was there giving out candy. We only got some candy at one store at Fantasy land. Disney World should have a backup plan when it rains, they should have other entertainment for the guest when they plan to cancel the events of the night. It was boring and the kids were getting upset, so we left. I don’t think we will visit again at this time of year. We paid almost the same admission price for the party and it was not worth it.

2013 WDW (Fall): Port Orleans Riverside

2012 WDW: Caribbean Beach Resort (Family Vacation)

2011 WDW: Caribbean Beach Resort (My little one's First Visit)

2008 WDW: Coronado Springs Resort (Honeymoon)
LovingMotherhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Retro Magic
Mouseketeer

Ours was ruined a couple weeks back too, rain
Apparently if you ask though, you can either get a refund or an MK ticket for another day. I wish I would have known that at the time. Guest services at the party had a huge line, so looking back I assume many were asking for refunds. I have never seen rain like this there....even for rainy season. Not a good year for MNSSHP. Maybe one of the worst years.

Unfortunate for you too, if you have never experienced it before, because its arguably the BEST theme park event WDW puts on all year.
1997 Grand Floridian & Boardwalkºoº1997 All Star Sports & WDW Dolphinºoº1995 Marriot Orlando World Centreºoº1991 Grand Floridianºoº1988 Buna Vista Palace

Retro Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Magic View Post
Apparently if you ask though, you can either get a refund or an MK ticket for another day. I wish I would have known that at the time. Guest services at the party had a huge line, so looking back I assume many were asking for refunds. I have never seen rain like this there....even for rainy season. Not a good year for MNSSHP. Maybe one of the worst years.

Unfortunate for you too, if you have never experienced it before, because its arguably the BEST theme park event WDW puts on all year.

If you do a search about the party for Oct 2009 it rained very heavily through out the month. Scared me so that I was not going to purchase tickets ahead of time--jsut in case- that is a lot of money times 10 people.

we got our tickets the day before when we heard that there is no rain,
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
LovingMotherhood
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Magic View Post

Sorry to hear that you had a bad time because of the rain as well.I wonder If we can still get a refund or at least half. We just got back on Saturday.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
LadyFan55
Mouse-a-holic

Oh, I am sooo sorry that everything got canceled on you as that is my most very favorite parade and fireworks show! Do write them, tell them how disappointed the kids where, etc... maybe they will comp you some 1 day tickets. We had a situation in which they helped us out after we got home and we now have some tix waiting for us to pick up when we go again. Please know this is a case-by-case basis! Here is an email link:
WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
PS - they required me to send a photo copy of the backside of the tickets that came into play in my situation. Good Luck & God Bless
LadyFan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMotherhood View Post
We are so disappointed…the night we went to the Not So Scary Halloween Party It rained all night. They cancelled both parades and fireworks. We were really looking forward to that. We walked around the park looking for the jack o lanterns to get some candy but we only found one close to Splash Mountain and no one was there giving out candy. We only got some candy at one store at Fantasy land. Disney World should have a backup plan when it rains, they should have other entertainment for the guest when they plan to cancel the events of the night. It was boring and the kids were getting upset, so we left. I don’t think we will visit again at this time of year. We paid almost the same admission price for the party and it was not worth it.
If you write to Disney, it would be helpful to them if you suggested what they could do to improve the night in case of rain. Saying "do something" really won't help them.

This isn't about the parks but we had a horrible evening at the All Star Sports because our room overlooked the football field where groups of all kinds were out until well after 2:00 AM. Disney asks guests to respect others between the hours of 10:00 PM and 8:00 AM and those people didn't see that one little line in the resort info. My suggestion to Disney when I wrote to them (after getting $100 refunded before I left) was for there to be some signs put up around 9:30 saying something like "please respect your neighbors after the hours of 10:00 PM and refrain from loud yelling while playing."

Unfortunately, Disney can't control the weather short of putting a 45 square mile dome over the entire complex. If you didn't want to ask about a refund that night (since it was so busy), you could have gone to any Guest Relations the next day and asked about getting one.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am really sorry it rained Your title was a bit misleading - I thought you were disappointed with the actual party, not the fact that mother nature threw you a curve ball.

Someone else posted that it had rained therefore fireworks cancelled etc and they got a no-questions-asked refund. I'm not sure what else Disney can do as the parties are typically based around parades & fireworks. They do state quite clearly 'weather permitting'

I have bought my MVMCP knowing full well that the winter weather can be very unpredictable. I'm just keeping my fingers double-crossed!

Please don't write off the party ... when not raining, it really is a lot of fun.
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
jm0925
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that the rain ruined your evening. I went to this event last year and was worried about the rain but luckily it rained in the daytime and it was perfect at night time. The event is a lot of fun and the fireworks are amazing. I would give it another try if you can in the future. I did see other people managed to get refunds if the event was canceled for rain. You should contact them about that if you didn't manage to get a refund when there.

*October 2014 - Halloween with Mickey and Food and Wine at Epcot.*February 2014 - 3 Park Special! Love being a Florida Resident. *Mickey's Halloween Party - October 2013**Seaworld & Aquatica with a little Disney Mixed In - August 2013**Kicking off summer at the Magic Kingdom - May 2013*.*Mickey Christmas Party- December 2012 with a First Time Stay at the All-Star Sports Resort, *Epcot Food and Wine Festival - Nov 2011, *Mickey's Halloween Party - Oct 2011, * Lived in Florida all my life. Many other trips before these.
jm0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
mentul77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If you went last Thursday the fireworks and 2nd parade DID happen, they were just delayed. Also, the treat stations opened around 8 including the 2 trails. I have still written an email to Disney regarding the way they handled things and their rain plans but those things were actually there and running.

Me (Melanie) DH (David)

my first trip in 11 years and DH's 1st trip ever: Wilderness Lodge 5/29/10 - 6/5/10 * AKL Kidani - 11/26/11 - 12/3/11 * Caribbean Beach - 09/29/12-10/5/12
mentul77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
We are so disappointed&the night we went to the Not So Scary Halloween Party It rained all night. They cancelled both parades and fireworks. We were really looking forward to that. We walked around the park looking for the jack o lanterns to get some candy but we only found one close to Splash Mountain and no one was there giving out candy. We only got some candy at one store at Fantasy land. Disney World should have a backup plan when it rains, they should have other entertainment for the guest when they plan to cancel the events of the night. It was boring and the kids were getting upset, so we left. I dont think we will visit again at this time of year. We paid almost the same admission price for the party and it was not worth it.
I agree with others who say you should contact Disney and calmly explain your experience. Lots of refunds or alternative ticket arrangements were made that night and the day after--it might not be too late. They don't have to do anything for you, but in all likelihood they will. Guest recovery in my experience at Disney is second to none. Email is wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com.

In my opinion, MNSSHP really is among the best things Disney does--you just had some bad luck.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

OP I'm so sorry your night was ruined and yes it is a lot of money. I hope Disney is nice and helps you with some passes or a partial refund even if it is in the form of gift cards for the Disney Store online!

I have to tell you a funny story though about the weather..... When we were there last year there was a day that the weather was really threatening. You know those afternoons where you keep looking and one minute it looks like "it's going to just let loose!!!!" and two secs later it's sunny and back and forth and back and forth. We were in a line for an attraction, a lady near us was talking to her friends and she was very concerned about the weather and "what are we going to do if it rains???". She had a "First Trip" button on and I couldn't resist.....I looked at her and said "oh honey don't worry! This is Disney! They have a huge retractable roof that goes up over the Magic Kingdom if it rains!" She just looked at me and very seriously said "Really? That is sooo great!" When her friends started laughing she realized I was just joshing her and just cracked up! Can you even imagine! lol

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

It stinks that it ended up raining during your party. I would have been disappointed too. Unfortunately, contrary to what some people say, Disney does not control the weather.

I would definitely write WDW and see if you can get a refund. But don't write off going to the parties because of your bad experience. The Halloween party in particular is very good! In fact, it is one of my favorite things to experience at WDW. I've done at least 5 Halloween parties, and been lucky enough to not be rained out once.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

We were there on the 4th and the first parade was canceled. The fireworks were around 10 and the second parade didn't start until nearly 11pm and was without the horseman for safety reasons.
I know they closed the candy stops for much of the night. We were fully refunded and left during fireworks with wet and freezing kids. CMs were at the exit handing out heaps of Halloween Peeps and apologizing...not that it was their fault.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ SURPRISE little one born Aug. '13

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
LovingMotherhood
Earning My Ears

Smile

Thanks! Everyone,
We e-mailed Disney and I guess they will get back to us in the next couple of days. When we decided to leave the park that night it was like 10:30ish. We don't know if they had the parade and fireworks that night. It was raining a lot and the kids were cold so we decided to leave. Our kids health comes first. We are home now and we all have a cold. My brother and his family are sick too. It rained almost every day, we all had ponchos and stroller covers but we still got wet. I am not writing off the Not so scary halloween party but I think it rains a lot this time of year in FL so we might avoid going at this time. We usually go in the summer and would love to visit in the winter.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and helpful comments.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
atp
Mouseketeer

I agree that it's not Disney's fault that it rained. Obviously they can't control the weather like a PP said.

However, I do think they are at fault for not having a better plan (apparently no actual plan) for when it rains.

They should have a plan in place so that most of the party could still go on even if it rains: alternative locations to meet all the characters indoors, a better plan for giving out candy, etc.

Also, just like it isn't Disney's fault that it rained, it's not the guest's fault either!

Just because you bought a ticket for a day that had crazy rain, doesn't mean that you should be out of the money. You paid for the party, and all that it entails. It would be unfair to not have a refund or at least a partial one if they didn't even have the parade or fireworks. In this case they did, though apparently pretty late. Why should guests be out of their money if Disney wasn't able to provide them with a proper halloween party?

If Disney can't provide a proper party when it rains, then that's on them. Either they find a way to make it happen, or they will have to deal with giving refunds.

Anyway, OP, I hope you are able to get a refund.
atp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: