Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #61
MagicalAmandaFay
A dream is a wish your heart makes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
Trick or treating in itself is fun. If you want to serve hot cider at your house, that's great. But, sometimes forced activities will backfire. Otherwise, just let kids be.
I am not forcing anyone to do anything. Cider would be at my house. Activities would only be at my house and the others that have contacted me on their own because they want to do some at their house also.
MagicalAmandaFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #62
MagicalAmandaFay
A dream is a wish your heart makes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
OP, I'd probably have the flyer say something like :

We're bringing trick-or-treating back to Happy Acres.
We've got lots of kids back in the neighborhood, so if you want trick-or treaters to come and see you, turn your porch light on from 6-8pm on Halloween night
(or whatever the town scheduled time is).

If you want to be really nice, do up your house a bit, play some scary music out your window and serve cider & donuts or donut holes.

Then your flyer could say:

We're bringing trick-or-treating back to Happy Acres.
We've got lots of kids back in the neighborhood now, so if you want trick-or treaters to come and scare you, turn your porch light on from 6-8pm on Halloween night.

Don't want to be scared by the little goblins but still want to celebrate a bit??? "Scary Cider" & Devilish Donuts" will be served from 7-9 at 123 Happy Acres Lane. Come on by!
I say 7-9 for the cider & donits to give the people who are giving out candy from 6-8 a chance to stop by.

This is the 1st year back and you have to be the ringleader a bit without being too pushy, so if you do it up at your house, others will probaby get into the "spirit" and next year might be better.

FWIW, while it is not the norm in my area to schedule Halloween with different dates than Oct.31st or to tell people what time TorT is, I understand that in different parts of the country, or in sub-divisions etc., things can be different. Your idea is cute...you just sort of have to inform everyone that TorT is happening, they can particiapte or not as they so desire. I think if you start the ball rolling it'll develop naturally through the years.

I have no kids but if I lived in your area, I'd be glad to get something letting me know that TorT was happening and when. I LOVE seeing the kids at Halloween and I'd also probably wander up to your house for a donut. I might even wear a scary mask .
Thanks. I love the ideas!
MagicalAmandaFay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #63
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalAmandaFay View Post
I am not forcing anyone to do anything. Cider would be at my house. Activities would only be at my house and the others that have contacted me on their own because they want to do some at their house also.
I get that you're not forcing anyone to participate, just wanting to send a friendly reminder. What I don't get is why would anyone contact you because they are doing something at their house? That sounds more like a block party you are arranging, not trick-or-treating.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #64
aejammers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Wow, I guess it must be regional. All I know is that every town in Bucks County PA has a trick-or-treating time.
This is not true. I live in Bucks County PA and we certainly do not have a specific trick-or-treat time in my town.
aejammers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #65
DisneyDizzy
Mouseketeer

We just got a flyer from our HOA letting us know the hours the town has posted for trick or treat this year and when they would be judging the house decorating contest. It's our first year in this neighborhood so I was happy to get the information! They also let us know that since our neighborhood has the decorating contest we should expect drive-bys and extra kids. I appreciated knowing that too. I can't imagine how much candy we are going to need! They also let us know that some houses would be doing weenie roasts past "official" trick or treat hours and that if we wished to block off the streets to sign up for a road-block sign to minimize car traffic.

I had no problem getting a flyer in the mailbox. Saved me the hassle of looking up trick or treat dates and hours.

P.S. My two-year-old is being Jessie and my 11-year-old is being a gunslinger. He and his friends decided they might want to trick or treat ONE more year. (that's what they said LAST year, too)

Sept. 2006 All-Star Movies
Dec. 2008 Pop Century
Sept. 2011 Pop Century
DisneyDizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #66
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This has nothing to do with being pc. People have taken pc to far.

I am all for ideas, doesnt mean i have to like them. The only question i asked was for activitie ideas that would be done at my house. I am not forcing anyone to do anything or asking others to do anything.
I think if that had been clear in the OP, people would not have reacted the way they did. Some people, like me, warned you against making it seem mandatory, others read it like you were making it mandatory. A misunderstanding better fleshed out here than in your own neighborhood IMO.

The written word is tough - intentions don't always get through!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #67
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

I think the OP was perfectly clear in her first post. She mentioned the flyers- and THEN asked for ideas on what she could do to make the night special. No, that didn't involve asking whether flyers were a bad idea (which they aren't- I think they're great for spreading awareness!)

All OP wanted was to get some ideas on what to do on the trick or treating night. She asked enthusiastically and politely and got a load of negative, almost rude answers. She was perfectly clear on what she was asking, she was giving you some background when she mentioned the flyers so you could answer her actual questions at the end with a more well rounded point a view.

OP, good for you for trying to make Halloween more enjoyable for your community. I commend you. Infect, you've inspired me to do some Halloween fun myself!

Please don't regret posting because I have enjoyed reading your ideas. I'm sorry for the negative responses you got, of course, I respect them but they were very assuming.

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #68
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was just giving a little background info on my community. I live in a rural area. My town has 7,000 people and I live in one of the subdivisions. My subdivision is small, and we have a president, treasure, and secretary for our small subdivision. Lots of people have jobs and can't always make it to the once a year meeting we have. We communicate a lot by sending around a memo. This post is not about sending around a flyer or memo or whatever. Our town has trick or treat from 6-8 on the 31st. So that is when the subdivision will be doing it also. Our neighbors LOVED trick or treating!!!! Many of them are 50+. Their kids are older and have moved out. That is why there trick or treat stopped. Well, now the neighborhood is growing with kids again.

This wasn't about sending a flyer around

It was about ideas. How I can make Halloween more special for my kids, and the other kids in the neighborhood who are also planning on trick or treating. Some neighborhoods serve hot cider, have games, house decorating contest, costume contest. This is about making it fun. All I wanted were a few ideas.
I love the idea that some of the families, including you, want to start up the TOT tradition again in your neighborhood.

However, as you have already witnessed on this thread, there will probably be plenty of people that will view a brand new neighbor taking it upon their self (your words) to start organizing the new TOT traditions as being a bit uppity and overstepping, especially since you already have a board of directors in place.

Since you have a board of directors, I would definitely have the secretary be the one to send out the flyer. He/She can introduce you as the resident committee chair heading up the effort and to contact you with questions/ideas.

Since you have a board, presumably elected, most residents will most likely be expecting things like this to come from the board they elected. It would probably help your cause a great deal if the residents know you have the support and blessing of the board. Otherwise, some may be irritated with an upstart new neighbor trying to come in and change things.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 10-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #69
Mary*Poppins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
I think the OP was perfectly clear in her first post. She mentioned the flyers- and THEN asked for ideas on what she could do to make the night special. No, that didn't involve asking whether flyers were a bad idea (which they aren't- I think they're great for spreading awareness!)

All OP wanted was to get some ideas on what to do on the trick or treating night. She asked enthusiastically and politely and got a load of negative, almost rude answers. She was perfectly clear on what she was asking, she was giving you some background when she mentioned the flyers so you could answer her actual questions at the end with a more well rounded point a view.

OP, good for you for trying to make Halloween more enjoyable for your community. I commend you. Infect, you've inspired me to do some Halloween fun myself!

Please don't regret posting because I have enjoyed reading your ideas. I'm sorry for the negative responses you got, of course, I respect them but they were very assuming.
ITA with your whole post! OP sounds like a great idea, I agree with others, start small this year and maybe it will grow over time!

Mary*Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #70
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I was just giving a little background info on my community. I live in a rural area. My town has 7,000 people and I live in one of the subdivisions. My subdivision is small, and we have a president, treasure, and secretary for our small subdivision. Lots of people have jobs and can't always make it to the once a year meeting we have. We communicate a lot by sending around a memo. This post is not about sending around a flyer or memo or whatever. Our town has trick or treat from 6-8 on the 31st. So that is when the subdivision will be doing it also. Our neighbors LOVED trick or treating!!!! Many of them are 50+. Their kids are older and have moved out. That is why there trick or treat stopped. Well, now the neighborhood is growing with kids again.

This wasn't about sending a flyer around

It was about ideas. How I can make Halloween more special for my kids, and the other kids in the neighborhood who are also planning on trick or treating. Some neighborhoods serve hot cider, have games, house decorating contest, costume contest. This is about making it fun. All I wanted were a few ideas.
My neighborhood does a Halloween Parade to kick things off. We meet around 5pm and the kids are roughly divided into age groups ( 5 and Under, 6-9, 9-13, 13 and up) and they parade down a few streets in the neighborhood. They end in a cul-de-sac where a small stage is set up (plywood over some hay bales) and they call the kids up by age group and introduce them one at a time--kids get a nametag with their name and what they "are" when they check in for the parade so the announcer just reads each nametag. Each kid gets a candy bar. It is a great way for the older folks to enjoy all the kids in costume. Afterwards everyone trick or treats back towards their homes. The people on the street leading to the stage usually just sit out on their driveway to give out candy since nearly every child will be stopping there. One house usually has cookies and juice.

To start things off you could skip the stage part and just have a small halloween parade on a few streets and invite the neighbors to pull up a chair on their lawn/driveway and enjoy the fun.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #71
penn19
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Wow, I guess it must be regional. All I know is that every town in Bucks County PA has a trick-or-treating time.

Anyways, a flyer would be perfectly appropriate in our community. I suppose it just depends on where you live. I just got one today with notice of a parade they're doing the Sunday before. The kids can dress up and walk the neighborhood together, and then have hot apple cider and cookies. I was happy to receive the flyer and I am happy to live in a place that tries to foster a sense of community.
I grew up in Bucks County. Halloween was always on October 31st. Mischief Night the night before. I had never heard of a city/township setting their own time.
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #72
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I would send out a flyer indicating we are having a halloween party, but if the occassion has died out I would leave it at that. Perhaps you could have the party before halloween and let me know you are interested in doing something more extravagant next year. People might have other plans already made.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #73
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
It's very common for subdivisions to have set trick or treating times. Ours is always between 6:00-8:00pm.
This amazes me every year when I read about this on these boards- never in my life have I heard of setting special hours for trick or treating, and some even changing the date of halloween! Kids here LOVE it when halloween falls on a weekend, they are out from about noon until 8-9pm trick or treating-I remember loving it as a kid! When its a weekday you rush home from school, change into your costume and go out trick or treating right away to get in the most possible time LOL...how sucky it must be to be limited to 2 hours!
Also there is no porch light on rule here, you knock on every door- if they don't answer so be it but you knock, light on or no light on. Most people here have sensor lights so they go on when someone comes up to the door and off when they leave.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #74
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Of course I am not going to sit there and tell my neighbors what to do on Halloween. That is their choice. I am sending around a flyer to inform the neighborhood of the date and time of trick or treat. If they want to participate, all they have to do is turn on their porch light. We have a very friendly neighborhood. I have already talked to several neighbors about it. It is a letter to inform everyone that there will be trick or treaters going around the neighborhood this year. That doesn't mean they "HAVE" to hand out candy. Many people are excited there are going to be kids going around this year. It is just to inform the people that haven't heard.
I'm sorry? you are dictating when trick or treating is to occur etc in your neighbourhood?? I am wagering people know what day Halloween is.... Maybe instead of telling your neighbours when -- perhaps if you are trying to build community spirit organize some neighbourhood block party instead, get to tknow the people in your neighbourhood.. make friends and allow the tradition of handing out candy to grow naturally. Someone telling me or 'reminding me' won't make me keen to do it.

Also in saying the above... you mention there's 'a lot of kids now' so those families with kids will most certainly be handing out candy, one parent stays home the other hands out... I'd think if there's a lot of kids then there'll be a big loot bag... the other neighbours will catch on during the upcoming years if they so choose.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

Last edited by TagsMissy; 10-09-2012 at 07:01 PM.
TagsMissy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #75
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post

She was clear on asking about activities, but in the OP she made a comment that she was taking it upon herself to bring back ToTing and putting flyers in her neighbors mailbox. Sorry, but this is a message board and when you put out all this kind of info, people are gong to notice some parts of your post and focus on that. I'm always amazed when people post all kinds of stuff and then get all defensive because some people addressed that part that the OP didn't want addressed. Why did you put it in then, leave the stuff out if you don't want it to be commented on. Internet 101
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: