Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #31
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,571

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalAmandaFay View Post
I was just giving a little background info on my community. I live in a rural area. My town has 7,000 people and I live in one of the subdivisions. My subdivision is small, and we have a president, treasure, and secretary for our small subdivision. Lots of people have jobs and can't always make it to the once a year meeting we have. We communicate a lot by sending around a memo. This post is not about sending around a flyer or memo or whatever. Our town has trick or treat from 6-8 on the 31st. So that is when the subdivision will be doing it also. Our neighbors LOVED trick or treating!!!! Many of them are 50+. Their kids are older and have moved out. That is why there trick or treat stopped. Well, now the neighborhood is growing with kids again.

This wasn't about sending a flyer around

It was about ideas. How I can make Halloween more special for my kids, and the other kids in the neighborhood who are also planning on trick or treating. Some neighborhoods serve hot cider, have games, house decorating contest, costume contest. This is about making it fun. All I wanted were a few ideas.
Trick or treating in itself is fun. If you want to serve hot cider at your house, that's great. But, sometimes forced activities will backfire. Otherwise, just let kids be.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #32
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat
 
design_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 2,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
Must be a small town/city thing then. I live in a huge city and have never ever heard of people (be it HOA, city/town..etc) dictating what date and/or time one can trick or trick. I just can't wrap my brain around such a thing.
Sigh. Just because they don't do it in your "huge city" doesn't mean that they don't do it differently other places. It sounds like you only know how things are done in your city and assume it's the same everywhere.

There are lots of places that set dates/times/hours. Columbus, Ohio *never* has "Beggar's Night" on October 31. And although it's not as huge as New York or Chicago, it's not exactly a small town either. All of the suburbs and surrounding cities/towns set their own dates and hours. (Our suburb is October 31 from 6-8 this year.)

Every year there are a ton of people on the DIS who "can't wrap their head around" how anyone can "dictate" when people trick-or-treat. (You've been around. I'm amazed you missed those threads.) If your area doesn't do it that way, then fine... but it seems to work okay around here. I will never understand why people get so upset about it.
__________________
Mom to DS13 and DD9.
design_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #33
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalAmandaFay View Post
I was just giving a little background info on my community. I live in a rural area. My town has 7,000 people and I live in one of the subdivisions. My subdivision is small, and we have a president, treasure, and secretary for our small subdivision. Lots of people have jobs and can't always make it to the once a year meeting we have. We communicate a lot by sending around a memo. This post is not about sending around a flyer or memo or whatever. Our town has trick or treat from 6-8 on the 31st. So that is when the subdivision will be doing it also. Our neighbors LOVED trick or treating!!!! Many of them are 50+. Their kids are older and have moved out. That is why there trick or treat stopped. Well, now the neighborhood is growing with kids again.

This wasn't about sending a flyer around

It was about ideas. How I can make Halloween more special for my kids, and the other kids in the neighborhood who are also planning on trick or treating. Some neighborhoods serve hot cider, have games, house decorating contest, costume contest. This is about making it fun. All I wanted were a few ideas.
Do whatever YOU want for YOUR kids. Honestly, this type of thing irks the bejeesus out of me. Someone sent a flyer around about transforming a small patch of land into a garden for the building kids to do x, y, z and we should all contribute money. Guess what she wanted? Stuff that was perfect for HER kids, at the ages her kids were, that she thought they'd like. Guess how much support this idea got, despite there being plenty of kids.

If she wanted to do it, she could go spend HER money and whatever to do it for her kids, but the 'I want to do X for my kids, let's all work together for that goal and, you know, probably other kids would benefit too maybe' gets only a hostile response, in my experience.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #34
Coconut36
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalAmandaFay View Post
I think that's why we don't have people like you living in my community. We live in a small subdivision. We put memos and notices in people's mailboxes all the time to inform them of things. They send around a spring flyer telling them on a certain date that everyone will be out helping to pull out weeds around our small marina. That doesn't mean they have to. People take turns cutting the grass around the marina because the subdivistion owns it. That doesn't mean everyone takes a turn, just many people willing to help out.

Let's get rid of the word flyer. How about a letter, or a memo? Nobody is dictating or telling anyone else what to do. You don't want to hand out candy, great, and if you do, great also.
People like me I can say I am pleased to live in a place where Halloween is simply Halloween and people trick or trick on the actual date whenever they want to do it. To say I find it ridiculous to dictate such things is an understatement. Now certain neighborhoods, churches, schools..etc might have an event like a trunk or treat or a party/gathering of some sort with candy, food..etc but that is independent of Halloween and actual trick or treating and is generally done the weekend prior to Halloween (or in addition to door to door trick or treating on Halloween night).

No getting rid of the word flyer doesn't change anything. You are taking it upon yourself to tell your entire community what date and time they are allowed to participate. As I stated..if you are such a close community I would think getting together as a group to hash it out and spread the info via word of mouth would be far more appropriate. Close knit/friendly groups IMO do things as a group and have discussions about how THEY as a group want to do it.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #35
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it
 
Ginny Favers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,804

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
Sigh. Just because they don't do it in your "huge city" doesn't mean that they don't do it differently other places. It sounds like you only know how things are done in your city and assume it's the same everywhere.

There are lots of places that set dates/times/hours. Columbus, Ohio *never* has "Beggar's Night" on October 31. And although it's not as huge as New York or Chicago, it's not exactly a small town either. All of the suburbs and surrounding cities/towns set their own dates and hours. (Our suburb is October 31 from 6-8 this year.)

Every year there are a ton of people on the DIS who "can't wrap their head around" how anyone can "dictate" when people trick-or-treat. (You've been around. I'm amazed you missed those threads.) If your area doesn't do it that way, then fine... but it seems to work okay around here. I will never understand why people get so upset about it.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #36
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!
 
lovemygoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: nothing, nothing, nothing....oooh tumbleweed!
Posts: 9,166

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalAmandaFay View Post
I was just giving a little background info on my community. I live in a rural area. My town has 7,000 people and I live in one of the subdivisions. My subdivision is small, and we have a president, treasure, and secretary for our small subdivision. Lots of people have jobs and can't always make it to the once a year meeting we have. We communicate a lot by sending around a memo. This post is not about sending around a flyer or memo or whatever. Our town has trick or treat from 6-8 on the 31st. So that is when the subdivision will be doing it also. Our neighbors LOVED trick or treating!!!! Many of them are 50+. Their kids are older and have moved out. That is why there trick or treat stopped. Well, now the neighborhood is growing with kids again.

This wasn't about sending a flyer around

It was about ideas. How I can make Halloween more special for my kids, and the other kids in the neighborhood who are also planning on trick or treating. Some neighborhoods serve hot cider, have games, house decorating contest, costume contest. This is about making it fun. All I wanted were a few ideas.
I would start small. I have read that trick or treating has been "dead" in your neighborhood and you are trying to revive it. I would simply start with decorating your own home ASAP and a generic trick or treating. To start traditions and big party things, you have to begin small and build up.

If you want to celebrate something, maybe have a gathering the Saturday before Halloween and have a block party with smore making, cider and something like a pet costume contest.

It's really difficult to build something big when starting from scratch. Also, not to start another debate topic but some people don't trick or treat during a school week but on the Saturday prior to the day. Might discuss that with a few neighbors that would also be engaging in the activity.
__________________
Tina
Proud Army Wife


Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #37
maslex
DIS Veteran
 
maslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Northeast Corner of CT
Posts: 4,435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
People like me I can say I am pleased to live in a place where Halloween is simply Halloween and people trick or trick on the actual date whenever they want to do it. To say I find it ridiculous to dictate such things is an understatement. Now certain neighborhoods, churches, schools..etc might have an event like a trunk or treat or a party/gathering of some sort with candy, food..etc but that is independent of Halloween and actual trick or treating and is generally done the weekend prior to Halloween (or in addition to door to door trick or treating on Halloween night).

No getting rid of the word flyer doesn't change anything. You are taking it upon yourself to tell your entire community what date and time they are allowed to participate. As I stated..if you are such a close community I would think getting together as a group to hash it out and spread the info via word of mouth would be far more appropriate. Close knit/friendly groups IMO do things as a group and have discussions about how THEY as a group want to do it.

She clearly stated back in post #12 that the town has the time/date set.
maslex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #38
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
I think it must be a regional thing. It's definitely not the norm where I live.
Its not the norm here either. I think its odd to have trick or treating on a night other than Halloween. I'm glad our town or subdivision hasn't made the decision to change a long standing tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalAmandaFay View Post
I was just giving a little background info on my community. I live in a rural area. My town has 7,000 people and I live in one of the subdivisions. My subdivision is small, and we have a president, treasure, and secretary for our small subdivision. Lots of people have jobs and can't always make it to the once a year meeting we have. We communicate a lot by sending around a memo. This post is not about sending around a flyer or memo or whatever. Our town has trick or treat from 6-8 on the 31st. So that is when the subdivision will be doing it also. Our neighbors LOVED trick or treating!!!! Many of them are 50+. Their kids are older and have moved out. That is why there trick or treat stopped. Well, now the neighborhood is growing with kids again.

This wasn't about sending a flyer around

It was about ideas. How I can make Halloween more special for my kids, and the other kids in the neighborhood who are also planning on trick or treating. Some neighborhoods serve hot cider, have games, house decorating contest, costume contest. This is about making it fun. All I wanted were a few ideas.
To be fair OP, you should have stated this in your OP but since you didn't we were left to assume what you meant by leaving a flyer in your neighbors mailbox. When I read it, I thought who the heck is this woman, to be informing her neighbors about what she wants to do as far as Halloween in her subdivision. After reading this post, I see that is just how you guys all communicate. Without knowing any of that you came off as a crazy control freak neighbor
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #39
Coconut36
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post
She clearly stated back in post #12 that the town has the time/date set.
But nobody has followed it for years per her posts. Just because it was set years ago doesn't mean it is still valid or agreed on by the community. Hence my point that if one wants to start it up again in what is supposed to be a close community it should be a community discussion not someone setting it up for all.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #40
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran
 
Tinijocaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,226

Big speakers playing creepy Halloween sounds or Thriller. Dry ice creating a fog in the yard. Fire pits in the front yard and maybe a crockpot of cider.

One street in our village does this and it is always a huge draw. I was even served a mixed dink last year!
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #41
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran
 
Tinijocaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,226

Why are people so snippy to the OP. SHE'S DOING a GOOD thing. Showing a bit of Halloween spirit, no one is telling anyone what they must do.

OP, ignore the crabapples and have fun! It may take a couple years to get it going but if you have even a few families, it will be fun.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #42
MagicalAmandaFay
A dream is a wish your heart makes...
 
MagicalAmandaFay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
Sigh. Just because they don't do it in your "huge city" doesn't mean that they don't do it differently other places. It sounds like you only know how things are done in your city and assume it's the same everywhere.

There are lots of places that set dates/times/hours. Columbus, Ohio *never* has "Beggar's Night" on October 31. And although it's not as huge as New York or Chicago, it's not exactly a small town either. All of the suburbs and surrounding cities/towns set their own dates and hours. (Our suburb is October 31 from 6-8 this year.)

Every year there are a ton of people on the DIS who "can't wrap their head around" how anyone can "dictate" when people trick-or-treat. (You've been around. I'm amazed you missed those threads.) If your area doesn't do it that way, then fine... but it seems to work okay around here. I will never understand why people get so upset about it.
I regret even posting in tthe first place. As i am new, i had no idea people are so close mindedand never thought this would be an issue. Im from wisconsin where you will find the nicest people in the country. I like your statement though. Well put!
MagicalAmandaFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #43
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
This is always a hot topic on the DIS around Halloween. Trick-or-treat has always been a specific date/time around here since the 1960s (and not always on October 31. The horror!). It's not a HOA thing... it's cities/towns. They publish each community's date/time in the newspaper and announce them on the news.
Same here. Not having a specific time to TorT is a foreign concept to me.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #44
MagicalAmandaFay
A dream is a wish your heart makes...
 
MagicalAmandaFay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinijocaro View Post
Why are people so snippy to the OP. SHE'S DOING a GOOD thing. Showing a bit of Halloween spirit, no one is telling anyone what they must do.

OP, ignore the crabapples and have fun! It may take a couple years to get it going but if you have even a few families, it will be fun.
Thanks! These people took it so seriously lol
MagicalAmandaFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #45
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalAmandaFay View Post
I regret even posting in tthe first place. As i am new, i had no idea people are so close mindedand never thought this would be an issue. Im from wisconsin where you will find the nicest people in the country. I like your statement though. Well put!
Well I guess being from Wisconsin you didn't realize that people don't just go around putting flyers into their neighbors mailbox in the rest of the country. Again, had you been clear in your OP about how your subdivision worked, you wouldn't have gotten those responses. However you weren't, your post came across as if YOU were the one setting the date and time and telling your neighbors. A little clarification would have done wonders to help you get the responses you wanted.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.