Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
kiki02
DIS Veteran

best place to buy CHEAP kids books?

thanks. no garage sales that i visit!
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
princesspwrhr
DIS Veteran

used - thrift stores, "Friends of [library]" sales, freecycle, craigslist

new - scholastic book clubs, half.com, online versus any brick & mortar store
princesspwrhr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

Too bad you haven't had luck at garage sales. I bought lots for my DDs there. We also get a bunch at Goodwill, and our public library has a shop selling used books (old library books and stuff donated by people) every weekend.

If you're looking for new books, Amazon usually has the best prices. A lot of kids' books are included in a "Buy 3, Get One Free" deal.
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
mollybug2
Mouseketeer

There is an online site called bookcloseouts. I have found some cute kids' books there for very little.

mollybug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I'm a fan of Scholastic Book Fairs, since it helps support your kids' school.
Ginny Favers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Try Abebooks? I haven't looked for children's books there, but have bought used books for myself in good condition several times.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
pooh's honey
Earning My Ears

Do you have any children's consignment sales near you? Around here they usually run 2x a year (spring and fall). You can Google search Consignment Mommies to find on in your area. I've gotten bags of books for my son for a small fraction of the cost.

I also second Goodwill (for both books and children's DVDs). Good luck!
pooh's honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
missmary
Mouseketeer

Totally Scholastic book clubs. They always have 1 book in every catalog, every month, for $1. So if you order from all 7 of their catalogs, just the $1 book, but do it every month, you can really amass a library quickly.

Plus, they will let anyone sign up for the catalogs. If you home school, that's fine. If you want to sign up your child's daycare, you can. If your school doesn't do book clubs, see if they will. Ask around your neighborhood, social circles, and see if anyone gets catalogs. Then, you can order online through their school and order from any of the available catalogs. Shipping is free. And teachers earn bonus points from the sales.

I love, love, love Scholastic. The have great variety and pretty darn good quality for really inexpensive books. There have been a few books that had middle pages come out, but a quick fix with tape makes it good as new!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
trinchick
Mouseketeer

I'll second the suggestion to check your local library to see if they have book sales. Ours has them twice a year, and we really clean up. Last month, we couldn't make it to the sale until the end of the day. They had a "power hour" where you could fill a huge shopping bag for $5. I got DD TONS of books (like maybe 50 or 60 early chapter books; Magic Treehouse, A to Z Detectives, Cam Jansen, Roald Dahl and the like), plus a few CDs/DVDs and five hardcovers for myself. All for $5!

Also a PP mentioned bookcloseouts.com. I've bought large quantities of single titles from them to use in birthday party goodie bags.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

don't give up on secondhand! I found a place near here that does all books 5/$1 and then gives me 25% off that! I got 4 like-new goosebumps books to include in DD8's birthday bag as well as a brand-new "man-libs" (dirty madlibs) that I gave to my husband as a joke. Meanwhile, at Goodwill, I picked up two "39 clues" books for $1.50 that were on a wishlist at paperback swap. I sent them off and now can get other books for my kids. (I'm slowly getting back my Tamora Pierce collection that DSD made off with...)

What age group(s) are you looking at? What are their interests?
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Goodwill. Here hardcovers are $0.50 and paperbacks are $0.25. There are some that are a dollar or two like the big Disney storybook collections.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Really love savers and just got home from ds book fair at school,schoolastic has many books for a $1 or $2.
irishsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
ArmyWife7
Mouseketeer

Another vote for scholastic. They were running a special last month (not sure if it is still available) that with your online order, you received a $5 coupon for your next online order.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

I get tons of books at my local Goodwill stores for my dd. 50 cents is a price that is hard to beat!
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

We have an Ollie's Store near us and they always have loads of books with really good prices.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: