Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
ShaunaM
DIS Veteran

Smile Home...many thanks...report

....we got home late Sunday night, thankfully yesterday was Canadian Thanksgiving so we had a down day before the grind resumed.

We had 7 full park days and two half days; at the beginning and on MNSSHP
day.

We had a good time and saw lots , even finished out most of our list of things we had never had time to do on other trips like turtle talk and animation academy, enjoyed them both and wished we could have done them more.

The weather was super hot last week, but settled as the week progressed. Was zero here when we woke up...brrr.

I am not certain I would go at Halloween again, we were hoping to see some lower days, touring plans had some of the mid week days at 1-3... I am not certain we really saw that. It was pretty steadily busy the whole time. We managed just fine but if it was a first time visit it might have been overwhelming.

Scored our favourite spot for world of color on the bridge against the second pillar...that spot (blue) cannot be beat!
We also did the second showing of fantasmic this Saturday and managed to get railing there too, with little wait. The highlight for the kids though..and still being talked about was during the fantasmic fireworks an errant chunk actually fell to us and hit my leg, did not really hurt just scared the cr*p out of me. If you ever wondered if big brother was watching...well he is , this was at the end of the show, and within two minutes there were five cast members, of varying jobs and rank on top of me to make sure I was ok, I was fine just gave the kids something to talk about. Did melt a bit of our blanket though.

We got to walk off our last ride on splash, which the kids found pretty cool. With this one and a breakdown as we were loading once on space we got two passes to the front which worked beautifully to circumvent standing for Alice and Peter Pan.

Got in a couple of tiger tails, just wish they would offer them some where else than just pooh corner, tried a few times on Main Street and at Marcelines and never found them outside of critter country.

Kids really enjoyed eating at Flo's in Carsland, seemed like good value too, choose your main and two sides. We ate out side along the railing with view of radio springs at night, really unintentional it was where we could get a table but glad in the end as it was quite pretty.

Did the wide right for Carsland, does work. Also did early fast passes, but we did come to notice that the fast pass line and the single rider line spit you out at virtually the same time, and then you don't have the hassle/wait of getting fast passes. We opted for this later . Really enjoyed riding this after dark, the moon was pretty full and really added to the ride.

Did a split stay at the sheraton park and the disneyland hotel. Park was nice but the rooms are pretty cozy, and the fridges are tiny.
Our DLH room was upgraded to a deluxe pool view in the frontier tower, fourth floor, great view ...kind of half of the fireworks ,then the water slide and the water Geyser. Really nice room , very spacious and very quiet. Loved the headboards. Fridge was a decent size but no freezer. Shower water pressure was the bomb, no water saver there, blissfull after a Long park day. Coffee maker did two cups or one at a time, no carafe just put the cups under and it dripped right in. Will say the wifi is super spotty and slow, dropped in and out all the time.

Did numerous restaurants, the one we felt the most lacking was storytellers. It was crazy busy and the service was pretty lacking, solid 45 minutes for our meals to come. When they did come my fish was overdone and DH had ordered the four cheese ravioli, which came with a grand total of four regular sized ravioli, lots of veg though.

Did a couple of times at carnation cafe for soup and deep fried pickles, glad that is a once in a blue moon Meal...could feel my arteries clogging....Oscar stopped by and chatted with the kids.

Did hungry bear for lunch once and enjoyed the quietness of a table towards the back up top.

Did goofys kitchen for breakfast on our last day, also crazy busy. IMO the value at these a bit dodgy... I can never eat enough to merrit the price...you are paying to meets the characters. This time was goofy , Pluto, Mulan, chip , dale and balou. Kids had fun And thought it phenomenal that there was desert for breakfast. We have one child with a nut allergy and the chef was great at showing what she could and could not eat , she was pretty happy. They really try and get you with the $35 portrait pack too, we skipped this because really we had a enough pics already and quite frankly plunking down over $200 at breakfast would have left me needing some Tums.

I really appreciated the value of having reservations for meals, I made one per day and then we knew we always had the option, you can always cancel, but good luck making one on short notice.

We lost our first phot pass card, boy was I kicking myself I knew that I should take a picture of the bar code and just never got to it. I thought the pics were gone forever until one of the photographers told me that if I could isolate a window of time and location they could track the pictures. I was able to do that and boom there were our pictures...pretty cool.

We did the Halloween party last Tuesday, very busy. Kids loved the " free" candy. Fireworks were pretty cool too. Was a good way to add an extra day tour trip. We moved hotels that day and did a bit of shopping before 3 pm.

I enjoyed the haunted mansion overlay, my daughter did not, but I liked the movie and she did not. Sure glad we watched the movie the week before we left, the ride had so much more relevance.

I love space mountain but did not love ghost galaxy, in fact I rode it once. I was expecting Caspar the friendly ghost trype ghosts, so really not what I expected. But I just missed the sounds and lights of the original.

Cannot say I loved Matterhorn much either... I coulld feel my brain rattling at every turn. I don't recall this from trips past though.
Kids did lots of single rider on this and on screamin', worked great.

All in all a good trip, but am glad as always to get home and eat some food with fibre...my eight year old commented she was ready for real food.

I almost forgot the most magical part...my son is a huge steamboat Willie fan...and after three trips and countless attempts we met him in Mickeys movie barn...grins all around!!

Thanks to all that helped me plan away for this trip, lots of smarts on this board.
Disneyland , Seaworld & Legoland February 2010
Disneyland February 2011
Disneyland September / October 2012
Disneyland February 2014

Last edited by ShaunaM; 10-09-2012 at 04:31 PM.
ShaunaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Butterfly123
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the report! It sounds like you had a great time, and experienced lots of things. I've never been at Halloween...I'd like to, but the crowds have kept me away for now. Deep fried pickles...I keep hearing about them, but can't really imagine what they are like!

Disneyland: 1969, 1974, 1982, 1985, 1990, July 2001, April 2003, April 2004, April 2005, April 2006, April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, June 2011, July 2012, June 2013. Next visit summer 2015!
Butterfly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
hootey
DIS Veteran

Happy to see other families going to DL for more than two or three days. We try to go for six to eight days at a time ourselves. The DLH is great, we enjoy staying there quite a lot. Our sons enjoy the pool/waterslide area about as much as they do the parks. Glad you had an enjoyable trip....
hootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

Did your dad make the trip?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a lovely time. You made good use of your time.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
ddwlms
Mouseketeer

was your 8 year old able to do the single rider? does anyone know if they have age limits on single riders as the child will not be with their adult?
thanx
Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
chrissiecutie
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwlms
was your 8 year old able to do the single rider? does anyone know if they have age limits on single riders as the child will not be with their adult?
thanx
I believe they have to be 6. But don't know for sure...

Son's 1st Disneyland Trip 8/14-8/23/2008
DH Got a Job Celebratory Trip 5/29-6/2/2010
Surprise Birthday Trip for DS 2/26-3/5/2011
Halloween Trip 10/1/2012-10/4/2012

25+ Year Disneyland Vet
1st trip in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2011
chrissiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
ShaunaM
DIS Veteran

No..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie63 View Post
Did your dad make the trip?
Much to their dissapointment ...he did not...he is moving around but still pretty gingerly so it was a wise choice.
Disneyland February 2011
Disneyland February 2014
Old 10-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
ShaunaM
DIS Veteran

It is six or seven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwlms View Post
thanx
Our daughter did when she was seven on screamin
We just had her stand in between her brother and sister in the line, and someone always waited at the exit. On racers we did this time with my seven year old nephew and stood on the platform against the wall before the stairs.
Disneyland February 2011
Disneyland February 2014
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

Oh too bad...but better safe than sorry! I guess you'll have to start planning the next trip right away so your dad can go
Great trip report....so happy you had a great time.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Sounds like a great trip.
Too bad about your Dad, but hey...maybe that means another visit is in store...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
siburdue
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a wonderful trip. What does "Did the wide right for Carsland, does work." mean?

Thanks

Heading to the Disneyland Resort with my BFF to attend Mickey's Halloween Party on September 27 & October 1!
siburdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Sounds like a fun trip!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
IBLarsen
DIS Veteran

To the OP, Would love to hear where exactly your World Of Color spot is?! We are heading to DL tomorrow for 4 days, and have yet to see WOC, so really want to this time. I'm a little worried about where to watch from since we have children, I really want them to see! Would love your advice

Thanks!
Brianna
IBLarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwlms View Post
thanx
Kids have to be at least 7 to do Single Rider - the same age they have to be to ride alone.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort

starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: