Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

You won't believe this is a serious question...

But it is...

How do I make my kids like Disney again? They haven't liked Disney in years. I do feel it is my fault. When my daughter (now 9) turned 3 we got season passes and went for three days straight. Then we went at least one a month for the rest of the year. We then went to Disney probably once a quarter after that until maybe 3 years ago, then we only went when relatives visited or special occasions like my birthday. We still do go to Fort Wilderness as my kids love to camp and this isn't too Disney for them but we don't go into the parks. Did I just overkill them with Disney? I have friends who still go to Disney at least once a month and her daughter is the same age as mine and still loves it. Hmm... you would think that not going as often would put some excitement back into it but nope. The last time we went was July-2010. Four kids now ages 20, 18, 10, and 9 and all of them moan when I suggest going into a Disney park.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

We did return this past July from a Carnival Cruise. Well my daughter's friends all cruise Disney so she is insisting that our next cruise be Disney! Unfortunately that is not in our budget at all! The Carnival Cruise was a special occasion that most likely we will not cruise again for a long time. We live within 45 minutes of Disney World so that day trips to Disney are feasible.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
But it is...

How do I make my kids like Disney again? They haven't liked Disney in years. I do feel it is my fault. When my daughter (now 9) turned 3 we got season passes and went for three days straight. Then we went at least one a month for the rest of the year. We then went to Disney probably once a quarter after that until maybe 3 years ago, then we only went when relatives visited or special occasions like my birthday. We still do go to Fort Wilderness as my kids love to camp and this isn't too Disney for them but we don't go into the parks. Did I just overkill them with Disney? I have friends who still go to Disney at least once a month and her daughter is the same age as mine and still loves it. Hmm... you would think that not going as often would put some excitement back into it but nope. The last time we went was July-2010. Four kids now ages 20, 18, 10, and 9 and all of them moan when I suggest going into a Disney park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
We did return this past July from a Carnival Cruise. Well my daughter's friends all cruise Disney so she is insisting that our next cruise be Disney! Unfortunately that is not in our budget at all! The Carnival Cruise was a special occasion that most likely we will not cruise again for a long time. We live within 45 minutes of Disney World so that day trips to Disney are feasible.
Remember when they were little and you couldn't make them eat something they didn't like? Or sleep when they went to bed? Or any of the other numerous things that you wanted them to do that they dug in their heels and refused to do?

Well, it's like that. You can pull rank and tell them that they're going because you said so or you can wait until they're ready to come around to your way of thinking.

There is no magic bullet that will make someone love Disney. If they don't want to go to the parks, then don't make them go. Certainly, 18 & 20 year old adults can be left home to keep an eye on their 9 & 10 year old siblings. Go without the kids and enjoy Disney on your own.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Short answer= YOU CAN'T ...You can't make someone like something they don't .People and kids especially, grow and change,Their likes and dislikes will change .Maybe eventually they will find their way back, maybe not.Other than forcing them to go, there is not much you can do.You can force them to go, but you can't force them to like it.There is a WHOLE WORLD out there that isn;t Disney and maybe they want to experience that awhile.Maybe you can suggest that you guys will do something,go somewhere other than Disney if they go to a Disney park with you..
Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
hoosthatmouse
Earning My Ears

Thank you for this. My kids are 5 and 3 and this just makes me realize how special these young ages are. Makes we want to take advantage of these years whey they are young and excited about princesses and mickey mouse.

hmm, 18 and 20 is a tough age. I think you go without them until they are begging for you to take them.

Feb 2013 - AKL, 3 Night Bahamian Cruise on Dream, POR
Jan 2013 - WDW Half Marathon

Feb 2012 - Polynesian
Feb 2011 - Polynesian, Wilderness Campground
Oct 2006 - Wilderness Lodge

----

hoosthatmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Why even try to *make* them go? Sounds like you live close enough that it would be easy for you to go on your own.

It's probably one of two things. They really don't, maybe never will, really enjoy Disney like some of us do - or, they enjoy you trying to *make* them enjoy it, and won't give in to your pleasure.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

I'd go without them. Talk about your trips minimally. Don't make a big deal out of them. Maybe some day they'll get curious and ask to go back. If not, you can get some great solo trips in!
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

I agree with the PP's, just go without them. They may quickly decide they don't want to be left out, or they may be so burned out that they never come around, but either way, you should still be able to enjoy it.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

They have to come around in their own time. My brother hates going, but will tolerate it every once in a while( he is 23). I am 25 and just this year have gotten a 'renewed' love for it and want to go all the time. Honestly, I think a lot of has to do with wanting to escape the stressors of life and this is one place I can actually do that. If they don't want to come, don't make them. Wait for them to come back to it. In the meantime, get yourself a pass and go whenever you like!

me on the way to DL...every time!
rewardsinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Well, maybe "make" was a strong word. I surely know I can't force my strong minded kids to like anything. Maybe, get them "excited" about it. I didn't think I would have such negative responses to a fun question to Disney lovers. I wouldn't go without the kids. Every time DH and I vacation without them I think the kids would really enjoy it and end up going back with the kids. This just happened last August at a beach resort my husband and I went to for our anniversary, we went back a few weeks ago with the kids and our friends. It's just such a shame they don't care for Disney parks, a shame for me that is. LOL. DH doesn't like to spend money so I am sure he is fine with the kids not liking Disney or we would be there more often. The older boys are left out of a lot already because of their jobs or school. I try to include them as much as possible because I know it won't be long before they move away from home all together. We have already started to change our future vacation plans to go back skiing or other extreme sports that the kids like.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I don't think there's anything you possibly could have done to make me excited about going to Disney when I was 17 (and yes, I did go at that age and hated it). I'm 45 now & went back to MK for the first time since just a few months ago, and only the 2nd time back for any Disney park (wife & I did AK in '98).
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately kids can't manufacture excitement. We are taking our 2 to WDW & Universal next summer & the 15YO has already laid out the 'ground rules': No character meals (I'm going to request 1 & see what happens), no autograph book, and NO matching shirts. Honestly, I think he's more excited about Universal (huge HP fan).

At this point, I'm just glad he agrees to be seen in public with us!! One thing we do in general is that while we the parents pick the destination, everyone gets input on what to do there. Big brother can tolerate the art museum (his sisters favorite) if he knows there's an amusement park to visit the next day (his pick).
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

It's not your fault that they don't like it anymore than you have the capacity to make them like it again.
Some people just don't. They may never want to go to Disney ever again.

We're trying to plan a family vacation in a little over a year, and it's hard (my parents' youngest is 15). The majority of us would be perfectly happy going to Disney again, but 1/6 says that we "always do Disney" and it's entirely possible that if that's what we planned, he would either not go, or make the whole experience miserable for the rest of us. He opted out of going on the last trip we took there (he was 21 at the time).
In my Disney obsessiveness, I've had a hard time giving up on it, so my big compromise is to do Orlando, not Disney specifically. We'll set aside a few days, meals, etc that are to be spent with family, but past that point we will be left to our own devices.
That's if we decide on Orlando at all...some of us have financial concerns that may prohibit us from spending hardly any money on the gathering at all.

Ultimately, you have to decide what's most important to you, and what you're willing to tolerate. Some people are stubborn enough that they won't even participate in something even if it's being paid for by someone else. Others will go along for the ride as long as they don't have to pay for themselves.
If Disney won't give you the picture perfect vacation you're looking for, then you should probably vacation somewhere else.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
DreamSweetsLove
Loves Mickey

It seems like you go to WDW a lot so maybe it would be more interesting for them to visit Disneyland in CA or one of the overseas parks. We go to Disney a few times a week since it's by the house so of course it's more exciting for ds to go other places because it's so normal for him and there is nothing wrong with that. He does get excited to visit the American parks and really enjoyed HK because it was new and we could go sightseeing outside of Disney as well though.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #15
deuceswild10
Mouseketeer

Listen to your kids, and plan another type of vacation. What are they interested in? You say they like camping, maybe take them to a National Park instead. You can't make them like Disney. It's okay if they don't.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: