Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Caitlint
Mouseketeer

Is this crazy?

My dad is driving down to FL in January to meet up with friends, but doesn't want to have to drive alone, so he said that if I go with him, he will drop me off at Disney for five days!

Now I would be alone, but that being said, I don't mind being by myself, I go to movies and dinner and what have you, alone without minding. I am also old enough that being alone isn't an issue. Has anyone ever toured Disney by themselves before? What were your experiences like?

I figure any trip to Disney is a good one, especially since I don't mind the alone time.
Caitlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Search for Solo Trip Reports, I have read several.

Have Fun

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 OKW - July 2015 AKV Kidani June 2016
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
kimnvbva
Mouseketeer

Why not? If you love going to Disney then take advantage of the offer! You can ride in all the single rider lines without waiting so long!!! There is a Disney for solos forum on here. People do it all the time. You have your own schedule. I think it would be kinda nice sometimes when no one can decide what to do next! Have a great time!

September 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort
December 2010 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011 Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Dream
November 2012 Art of Animation Resort
June 2013 Coronado Springs
kimnvbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Go and have a great time !!! I was at EPCOT by myself a couple of years ago...walking in the gate, I was a little nervous, but after a few minutes, I realized how wonderful it was. I could do what "I" wanted, eat where I wanted....and no one really cared if I was alone or not. It was a fabulous day and I had a blast !!!!!

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
ToTLaugher
Just call me sentimental!
I sip and surf

A lot of people travel to WDW alone and love it. 5 days might be a long time if you haven't traveled alone before. I have only taken long weekends alone in the past. I love solitude but 5 days might be to much for me.

Also, you said that you are old enough that being alone is not an issue. I assume that means you are still fairly young. You might want to check the hotel policy to be sure they will rent you a room. I don't know the minimum age at WDW but some hotels require that you be at least 21.

Another option might be to have a friend fly down to meet you for part or all of the trip.

Hope you can work things out because as you said, any trip to Disney is a great trip!
ToTLaugher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

Here is a great thread on this subject. I love going solo and will be doing so this week!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3001201&page=2
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

There is a Forum on DisBoards called "Adult and Solo Travelers".

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I have done it before a few times and had an absolute BLAST..DId what I wanted when I wanted..I wish I could do another solo trip, but my 8 yr old would hate me forever..LOL
Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
butsy113
AKV Owner

I'll go with
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

I would jump at that opportunity. You're already comfortable doing things on your own, and to me, that's the biggest hurdle in solo travelling.

I did Disneyland solo, but it was only 1 1/2 days. I loved it. I like having the freedom to just go where I want and do what I want, whenever I want and not having to worry about constantly keeping a little one happy, trying to make sure that we're all walking in the same direction, etc... That's especially true as the family "leader" or the one that makes all the decisions and has to keep everyone wrangled. If I were the follower, the alone time might not be as precious.

When I did my solo trip, I booked a 1/2 day tour. It was one of the behind the scenes tours and was really nice because it gave me the opportunity to be with some other people and chat a bit and break up some of the "alone" time.

I say go for it and have a great time!
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Brit_Jude
DIS Veteran

Crazy no, go yes! I love touring the parks and resorts solo, setting my own pace and schedule. I notice so much more about the theming. I have great random conversations with folks in line. Sunday I toured AK by myself, took part in some wine tasting in Harambe and sat for a long time with a cup of tea in Asia taking in the sites, sounds and people watching. I had a lovely time chatting with the CM's in the animal trails about each animal and learned so much. Didn't have to worry about how long I took. Enjoy if you decide to go.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Do it! I went in July on a solo trip and loved it. I would do it again in a second if given the opportunity. DH was traveling out of town that week and if he travels more for a week I'll go again. The Solo travelers forum here was very encouraging to me when I was thinking of going, I am so glad I did it. If your interested I did a trip report of my adventure the link is in my signature.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlint View Post
My dad is driving down to FL in January to meet up with friends, but doesn't want to have to drive alone, so he said that if I go with him, he will drop me off at Disney for five days!

Now I would be alone, but that being said, I don't mind being by myself, I go to movies and dinner and what have you, alone without minding. I am also old enough that being alone isn't an issue. Has anyone ever toured Disney by themselves before? What were your experiences like?

I figure any trip to Disney is a good one, especially since I don't mind the alone time.
Lucky YOU!!!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
Caitlint
Mouseketeer

A lot of people travel to WDW alone and love it. 5 days might be a long time if you haven't traveled alone before. I have only taken long weekends alone in the past. I love solitude but 5 days might be to much for me.

Also, you said that you are old enough that being alone is not an issue. I assume that means you are still fairly young. You might want to check the hotel policy to be sure they will rent you a room. I don't know the minimum age at WDW but some hotels require that you be at least 21.

Another option might be to have a friend fly down to meet you for part or all of the trip.

Hope you can work things out because as you said, any trip to Disney is a great trip!

Thanks for all the responses, I've been reading through the solo section, it seems as if a majority of the people who opt to go are happy they did. As far as renting a hotel room by myself, I'm 27 haha, so I think I'm good to go there.

Thanks for all the input guys!!
Caitlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
JoshuaShaw
DIS Veteran

I've never done a solo Disney trip before, but I think it could be a lot of fun, particularly if you're not there during peak times. You are totally not crazy.
JoshuaShaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: