Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Azza1987
Mouseketeer

Can you change your dining plan options later?

Hello All

Just a quick one, I am about to book SSR for a week next May, and it comes with the free Disney Dining Plan. If I wanted to 'upgrade' it to the Deluxe Dining Plan at a later date am I able to do this? Obviously pay the extra £'s there and then? I'm currently not sure if we need the deluxe one or not, but I dont want to risk not having it as an option if we change our mind!

Many thanks guys xxxxxxxx
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

If you are not sure I would almost guarantee you don't need to.
I like my food, eat far more than the average man and I have plenty on the regular DDP. There is no way I would want deluxe. You would spend half your holiday in restaurants and the tips would cost you a small fortune.

Try look at a few threads which cover DDP, my latest from this summer is here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954922
It will give you an idea of the meals you get. I have others from previous years if you want links let me know.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

i totally agree with Wayne!!

the regular DDP is so much food, i can't imagine being able to eat any more than that!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

I'm with Beth and Wayne. Unless the only thing you want to do on your trip is get to a reservation, wait to be seated and get to the next one .... I'd skip it. You will have so much food with the regular DDP and it will still be cheaper to just buy the extra odd meal or snack here and there out of pocket than to upgrade everyone on your reservation.

Regarding when you can upgrade your plan, it can't be done there. You must do it before you go through your travel agent or whoever you made your booking through and I'd personally do it before the full balance is due at 56 days, preferably sooner, so that confirmation is all on the paperwork you receive

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
chmurf
DIS Veteran

I'm with Beth, Wayne and Lee ... lol

Regular DDP is plenty of food.

I used to be called the "2 legged stomach", still I never got hungry on the regular DDP (back in the days I did the DDP and could eat way more than I do now)

Deluxe Dining plan is just too much food, too much food wasted, and too much time wasted.

Do the DxDP if going to restaurants is the primary objective of your vacations, and only in that case

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Azza1987
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys! I booked today with just the free regular dining plan! I'm not a big eater anyway so OH can always use my snack credits! I would like to do evening meals but otherwise during the day I want to be out at the parks having fun!

Thanks for your help guys definitely don't think I'd need the deluxe based on your comments! Xxxx
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Yes you can book and then upgrade later - we did that booked through complete orlando.

It has been much debated in our household but we are trying DxDDP for the first time in 2 weeks.

We prefer more TS places than QS. We would have paid for some TS extra anyway and the upgrade cost wasn't much more.

I've planned 2 adr's a day - a character breakfast or early lunch then a 2 credit dinner or show.

We have 14 days dining at OKW but are staying an extra night at art of animation so are using the credits over 15 days. We are just doing disney this trip so have multiple days each park so am not worried about the time eating.

Will do a food report when we are back.

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

For a first visit i'd definitely stick with ddp.

Where do you fancy eating?

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
katiec
DIS Veteran

We are doing DxDDP for 7 nights next Sept. we had 2 nights paid for DxDDP last summer & loved it.

We are planning on doing breakfast and Signature restaurants in the evening.

We are looking forward to trying all the lovely restaurants & we would normally go out for dinner every evening anyway so having an ADR isn't a problem.

There is just the two of us so we pretty much know what we like :-)

We are having 3/4 nights on I-Drive & 3 nights at Anna Maria Island so will also be eating at our offsite favourites too :-)

Katie x

katiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Yes you can book and then upgrade later - we did that booked through complete orlando.

It has been much debated in our household but we are trying DxDDP for the first time in 2 weeks.

We prefer more TS places than QS. We would have paid for some TS extra anyway and the upgrade cost wasn't much more.

I've planned 2 adr's a day - a character breakfast or early lunch then a 2 credit dinner or show.

We have 14 days dining at OKW but are staying an extra night at art of animation so are using the credits over 15 days. We are just doing disney this trip so have multiple days each park so am not worried about the time eating.

Will do a food report when we are back.
I can understand you going DxDDP because (a) the character meals and (b) and most importantly, you go often. The reference to it being a first trip in the OP's signature made me particularly skeptical of this being a good choice however, even if the quantities of food were modest, purely based on the sheer volume of things to experience for the first time vs the amount of time taken out of each day for reservations, waiting, transport, etc.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
I can understand you going DxDDP because (a) the character meals and (b) and most importantly, you go often. The reference to it being a first trip in the OP's signature made me particularly skeptical of this being a good choice however, even if the quantities of food were modest, purely based on the sheer volume of things to experience for the first time vs the amount of time taken out of each day for reservations, waiting, transport, etc.
Yes defintely agree.

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiec View Post
We are doing DxDDP for 7 nights next Sept. we had 2 nights paid for DxDDP last summer & loved it.

We are planning on doing breakfast and Signature restaurants in the evening.

We are looking forward to trying all the lovely restaurants & we would normally go out for dinner every evening anyway so having an ADR isn't a problem.

There is just the two of us so we pretty much know what we like :-)

We are having 3/4 nights on I-Drive & 3 nights at Anna Maria Island so will also be eating at our offsite favourites too :-)

Katie x
It works for you, being experienced you know where you want to eat and you can use the credits, for someone new I don't think its an upgrade worth paying for.
I know I certainly wouldn't be able to use all the credits but I couldn't eat a breakfast every day, one character breakfast per holiday is 1 too many for me. I also know I don't want to be sat in a restaurant upto 2 hours for either breakfast or lunch. 1 TS per day is perfect. We also don't enjoy the signature dinners, done Cali Grill & Yachtsman (twice) and would rather use my 2 credits on 2 regular meals than at a signature, just don't get the value in them.
We all dine in different ways but I think OP would be better trying regular DDP first before paying to upgrade.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
katiec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg

It works for you, being experienced you know where you want to eat and you can use the credits, for someone new I don't think its an upgrade worth paying for.
I know I certainly wouldn't be able to use all the credits but I couldn't eat a breakfast every day, one character breakfast per holiday is 1 too many for me. I also know I don't want to be sat in a restaurant upto 2 hours for either breakfast or lunch. 1 TS per day is perfect. We also don't enjoy the signature dinners, done Cali Grill & Yachtsman (twice) and would rather use my 2 credits on 2 regular meals than at a signature, just don't get the value in them.
We all dine in different ways but I think OP would be better trying regular DDP first before paying to upgrade.
Hi Wayne

We are just the opposite - the 1st time we ever went to an onsite restaurant we paid OOP for Cali Grill - I have no idea now why we picked that one!!!
It's about the only time DH has said he wants to go back to a restaurant...... So last year we rented 2 nights DVC & paid for 2 days dxddp and we also went to the Yachtsman which he also loved

The DDP vs DxDDP debate is complicated as we all like different things. We are quite happy to spend a couple of hours over dinner in the evening on holiday - makes a change from dinner on our laps at home :-)

We deliberated for ages on whether to upgrade & I'm sure we'll be sick of breakfast buffets by day 4!!!

Katie

Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiec View Post
The DDP vs DxDDP debate is complicated as we all like different things. We are quite happy to spend a couple of hours over dinner in the evening on holiday - makes a change from dinner on our laps at home :-)
I agree with you that we all have different preferences and needs, but again, would you have done that on a first trip, having never experience the [way too much to do in one trip] that all the parks have to offer? I am not saying DxDDP does not have it's value to certain folk but I would never recommend that for a first trip. Maybe I'm wrong, but even food aside, a lot of park time has to be sacrificed for these meals.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #15
katiec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies

I agree with you that we all have different preferences and needs, but again, would you have done that on a first trip, having never experience the [way too much to do in one trip] that all the parks have to offer? I am not saying DxDDP does not have it's value to certain folk but I would never recommend that for a first trip. Maybe I'm wrong, but even food aside, a lot of park time has to be sacrificed for these meals.
I didn't even know there was such a thing as DDP until last year - and my first trip was in 1994. Lol!!

I agree looking back that just getting from park to park was stressful enough, let alone being in a specific place at a specific time ;-)

It is really now on our 6th trio that we really know how we like to spend our days on holiday, park in the morning, pool/chilling/shopping in the afternoon & dinner in the evening.

Katie x

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: