Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
BroganMc
It's not the age, it's the mileage

I pick my battles too. My power chair has given me a completely new life of independence so I do not like to restrict myself too much out of simple fear. However, there are times and places it is just not worth the aggravation.

Such as:
  • At counter service restaurants like Casey's Corner where those stupid metal railings block you in and out for ordering. And they never seem to have the wheelie-friendly kiosk open for business.
  • EPCOT right at park closing when the exodus of bodies crowds the exit. I usually just sit back and enjoy the scenery until the crowd lessens.
  • EPCOT on New Year's Eve is far too crowded for my liking. I got stuck in the world's worst gridlock a couple years ago. One of those situations when the traffic doesn't move, it just compresses around you. I was so worried a fight would break out from the tension. People also couldn't see me and assumed the blank space occupying the area above my head meant they had a free path to cram into. Because of this I swore off visiting EPCOT on NYE. I go to the Studios instead.
  • Shopping can be a challenge everywhere. Stores are not laid out for us wheelie folks. either merchandise is crammed together or stacked too high to reach. But I love shopping too much to stay home. I just figure out how to cope when I'm there. Go slow or ask for help. People are usually very gracious when they realize I could use a little helping hand. I just recently figured out how to handle a grocery store by pushing a shopping cart backwards where the wheels turn. It was a pain having all this merchandise to carry in my hands. Now I have a cart like everyone else.
  • I always try to look for my parade and fireworks viewing spots at least 30-45 minutes ahead of time. I find it easier to be parked and let the pedestrians crowd around me than face a wall full of butts blocking my view. I'm really short. Anything over 4 feet is clear view for the person behind me. Little kids I let sit up in front of me, even if they arrive late to the show. I wish everyone at shows would be considerate to the height-challenged.
  • My favorite time to drive my power chair about is in a space the least crowded. Then I can wander about freely and not worry about braking or avoiding.
BroganMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

Yes. Definately.

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: