Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
3DisneyBuggs
The only way I would fly is if John Travolta is the pilot!
Maroon is my color, like the pom poms!
Now I owe tag tax

Getting a room freezer at the Poly?

Due to medical reasons, we will be needing ice packs during our stay at the Poly. Would it be possible to get a freezer for our room? We stayed at POFQ in June and I had to walk to the luggage rooom to use their freeZer. Twice the bag was put in the fridge instead. I hope to somehow be able to get a freezer for our room any suggestions?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I just don't think they carry individual freezers so it's not a matter of somebody refusing but rather a case of not having it to give you.

You might want to consider the kinds of ice packs that you just fill with ice or else the kinds where you crack something inside to activate or even just ziploc bags to fill with ice (this is what we did when DD12 had a broken ankle). You can still use the ones you've already got and ask Bell Services to stick your ice packs in the freezer but at least you'd have a backup plan for those times that somebody does make a mistake and put it in the fridge intead of the freezer.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Don't the rooms at the Poly come with a fridge/freezer? Or you could check with one of the medical supply companies and order one for your stay.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

They have a fridge. I honestly can't recall if there was a freezer compartment in the fridge.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
cynzilla
Syringomyelia.....not just a disease, but an adventure!

Year ago

Friend,
I travel with multiple ice packs as well to stick in my cooling vest, neck collar and belt and stayed at the Poly LAST YEAR with the same situation.

It is going to be frustrating, I mean like 6 phone calls and 2 days worth of aggravating, but here is what I can help you with...

Whoever you talk to, which will be several people, you have to tell them you need a "white ice cream freezer". This freezer will be only a freezer, a stand alone and much larger than the fridge in your room. It will only have freezing capability and is very large to fit many packs ( I think I had 20+ last year). You can fit in in room configuration behind the chair and turn the access to the side. THEY CAN GET IT FROM SOMEWHERE. You make sure you say it is NECESSARY because you "overheat, can't control body temp, etc." as that is my case, and don't take no as an answer, they can get one, I believe from the conference center was where mine came from.

((Also, to assume you have issues with body temp....call maintenance and tell they to teach you how to override the a/c because it shuts off when there is no movement! I learned that the first night I was there))

My question to you is have you ever found any really good item (cooler, etc) that will keep packs frozen in the parks during the day??? i have to travel back to the room sometimes twice to switch my packs put rather than being able to take them with me, because they don't stay frozen! Thanks
cynzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynzilla View Post
Friend,
I travel with multiple ice packs as well to stick in my cooling vest, neck collar and belt and stayed at the Poly LAST YEAR with the same situation.

It is going to be frustrating, I mean like 6 phone calls and 2 days worth of aggravating, but here is what I can help you with...

Whoever you talk to, which will be several people, you have to tell them you need a "white ice cream freezer". This freezer will be only a freezer, a stand alone and much larger than the fridge in your room. It will only have freezing capability and is very large to fit many packs ( I think I had 20+ last year). You can fit in in room configuration behind the chair and turn the access to the side. THEY CAN GET IT FROM SOMEWHERE. You make sure you say it is NECESSARY because you "overheat, can't control body temp, etc." as that is my case, and don't take no as an answer, they can get one, I believe from the conference center was where mine came from.

((Also, to assume you have issues with body temp....call maintenance and tell they to teach you how to override the a/c because it shuts off when there is no movement! I learned that the first night I was there))

My question to you is have you ever found any really good item (cooler, etc) that will keep packs frozen in the parks during the day??? i have to travel back to the room sometimes twice to switch my packs put rather than being able to take them with me, because they don't stay frozen! Thanks
If it was NECESSARY, then why didn't you rent one from a medical supply company instead of hassling the resort? I don't believe supplying freezers is part of ADA, and that is probably why it took all those phone calls to hassle the resort into getting you the freezer. They do not have to supply all medical equipment, and you were very lucky that they were able to scrounge one up for you.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
3DisneyBuggs
The only way I would fly is if John Travolta is the pilot!
Maroon is my color, like the pom poms!
Now I owe tag tax

Thank you for the replies. I haven't found a really good cooler bag but the one I have keeps things frozen about 4 hours. I usually add frozen water bottles in the bag too to keep colder. Schmeck you keep saying to rent a freezer, so kindly supply a place that does becase I can't find one doing a google search. I know Disney isn't obligated to supply a freezer but their service in general is top knotch and I think they woud be more than happy to try. Let's hope all YOUR needs are met so another Dis isn't so nasty uncaring twards you.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Piper
DIS Veteran

I think First Aid in the parks can keep your bags frozen for you. A visit to them would be easier than going back to the resort!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I think First Aid in the parks can keep your bags frozen for you. A visit to them would be easier than going back to the resort!
That is a good tip.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: