Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

Disabled seating at Crystal Palace...

I asked on the dining forum and no one has answered...maybe y'all know the answer to this:

I made my ADR for my party of 7 for lunch at Crystal Palace online. Got my confirmation number and the confirmation email...then it occurs to me, do I need to let anyone know that in my party of 7, 2 of them are disabled and cannot get out of their wheelchairs? Or do I just let them know at the podium?

I've never had to have seating for (what I consider) a large group before, so I didn't know how that would work.

Thanks in advance!

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!
May 2013 - POP - Monstrous Summer - Whole 24 Hours! October 2013 - POP - MNSSHP
May 2014 – POP – Rock Your Disney Side – Whole 24 Hours!

Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Just_Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Trish View Post
I asked on the dining forum and no one has answered...maybe y'all know the answer to this:

I made my ADR for my party of 7 for lunch at Crystal Palace online. Got my confirmation number and the confirmation email...then it occurs to me, do I need to let anyone know that in my party of 7, 2 of them are disabled and cannot get out of their wheelchairs? Or do I just let them know at the podium?

I've never had to have seating for (what I consider) a large group before, so I didn't know how that would work.

Thanks in advance!
Crystal Palace is a pretty easy place to eat with wheelchairs. There is a ramp into the resturant and it is all one level. In my experience when they see the wheelchairs, they attempt to place people as closely to the buffet area as possible. It minimizes your need to go through a room full of people, on your way to your table and cuts down on moving those wheelchairs to the buffet line.

I had a wheelchair and a stroller being used as a wheelchair when I last visited Crystal Palace. I just told them when I got there and I had no trouble at all. We sat in a table that was half booth, so it was easy to have the wheelchair placed on the chair side.

Our server was also very helpful in asking if our wheelchair user needed help transporting their food. Which really helped me as I wrangled an over excited kid and carried the child in the "stroller wheelchair".

My only caution with the wheelchair users is the bathroom. It is small, as many of the resturant bathrooms are. I would encourage them to visit seperately. I think it would be nearly impossible to have two wheelchairs in the bathroom along with any other people.
akcire is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

I would do both. Inform them now and reiterate is when you get to the podium. And if you realize where they want to work for you tell them and ask for another table. I was at Boma and they decided to seat me at a table for 2 against a wall with the seating next to the wall. I asked them how I was to get my chair in there and get in and out to get food. They quickly got my point and I was moved to a table that was more appropriate.
At Crystal Palace we have had some good and some bad placement. One big problem is parents who bring sleeping children in their stroller. That can really block access to the tables and the buffet. Also at some tables you will get hit by people passing by which is uncomfortable. It all depends on who is assigning the tables. Some don't care and assume because you are using a wheelchair your companion (s) will get your food and you will remain at the table. Frankly I prefer to get my own food.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover

Last edited by Talking Hands; 10-21-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

The podium should be fine. That's when we do it.
That is when they actually come up with seating arrangement, so they are the ones who need to know.

It's important ahead of time for places, like Cinderella's Royal Table, where some of the seating is not accessible. Crystal Palace is not a problem - it's all accessible.
Telling them at podium when you check in makes sure that they move a chair away from the table to make room for the wheelchair and make sure there is a path to the table.
It would be good to let them know when you check in whether the guests with wheelchairs will be going to the buffet or having other members of your party go to the buffet for them.

Also, be aware that a party of 7 may have to wait longer or split into 2 tables. Many of the tables seat less than 7.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Bete
DIS Veteran

Wink If you want to call

dining reservations direct they will state the 2 wheelchairs in your ressie. I agree with the others that the time that it is important about the wheelchairs is when you arrive at podium.

Also, I agree that the restroom there for access for a wheelchair is terrible. I would definitely go to the restroom next door near first aid before seating down at Crystal Palace for your meal.

If it's noted on your ressie ahead of time it might help you a little bit on the waiting time, but I couldn't guarantee you that it helps that way.

Also, I agree that this restaurant is easy access for wheelchairs throughout.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
The podium should be fine. That's when we do it.
That is when they actually come up with seating arrangement, so they are the ones who need to know.

It's important ahead of time for places, like Cinderella's Royal Table, where some of the seating is not accessible. Crystal Palace is not a problem - it's all accessible.
Telling them at podium when you check in makes sure that they move a chair away from the table to make room for the wheelchair and make sure there is a path to the table.
It would be good to let them know when you check in whether the guests with wheelchairs will be going to the buffet or having other members of your party go to the buffet for them.

Also, be aware that a party of 7 may have to wait longer or split into 2 tables. Many of the tables seat less than 7.
I had not even thought about he seating issue. When we got to the podium they must have taken care of it. We were closer to buffet, a lot of foot traffic, but nice experience .
Old 10-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

I also let them know at the podium at check in and never had any problems.

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: