Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
Quin
DIS Veteran

Another thought. Not a character meal but have you considered booking a dinner at HDDR? Dinner with a corny-cute country themed show, and adult beverages are included in the price. THAT's a bonus for an adult-only trip!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #17
nigel-bigel
DIS Veteran

Yes! Hoop De Doo is a lot of fun. I have been twice, both only with adults, and every one had a great time. Strongly consider this...

Nicole
Nov 01 Yacht Club
Feb 02 Boardwalk Inn
Oct 02 Dolphin
Apr 04 Disneyland
Oct 04 PO - French Quarter
Nov 06 Coronado Springs
Jan 11 Boardwalk Villas
Jan 13 PO - Riverside
nigel-bigel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingdomHeartsFan View Post
One of the best character dining experiences I have ever had with a group of adults was at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. The buffet is very good and the character interaction was fantastic! When we dined there for dinner, we met Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, and Drizella. We were a group of 4 adult men and the step-sisters were so much fun. They came by our table numerous times and pretended to flirt with all of us and argue over which would get each of us. Then when Lady Tremaine came by, she pretended to interview us to decide which was eligible for her daughters! We were almost crying we were all laughing so hard! We had so much fun!
That was our favorite character meal too! Anastasia kept hitting on my husband

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

My sister and I had a great time at dinner at the Crystal Palace. Pooh and the gang were adorable. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but the groups on either side of us were also all adults, and we all chatted back and forth during the meal.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

My mom and I (she 70 something - me forty something) did two character meals and we really loved it - especially Mom which was surprising and fun - this was her first Disney visit.

We did Tusker house breakfast at AK and Supercalifragilistic breakfast at GF- we love good breakfast buffets and that is why we chose breakfast - plus paid for one out of pocket and it was not too expensive. We enjoyed both but must say really loved Tusker House - the characters are all in Safari gear - Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy - the food was good and we got right onto the Safari ride because it was so close.

The Supercalifragilistic breakfast was good too - characters were Mary Poppins, Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Alice and the Mad Hatter - Mad Hatter came around when I was at the buffet getting seconds - Mom screamed out my name so I wouldn't miss him coming round (she was that excited) - LOL - which of course really got him started and he started screaming out my name.

Just to say - adults can have fun at character breakfasts too - no matter what your age.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
mamasha
Mouseketeer

Garden Grill is a better character interaction and food is good.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
Koda
Mouseketeer

We have had dinner at Chef Mickey's several times, and have seen many adult-only parties. It is the only place to get Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Donald, Chip, and Dale. Now that my DDs are teenagers, we go to Chef Mickey's because it is the only place they will pose for pictures with the characters!
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

I'm a big Eeyore fan, so we often do the Crystal Palace breakfast, and we find all we like in the food too. We let the *kid* come out!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
si-am
DIS Veteran

Garden Grill. The characters aren't too in your face, it's not a buffet so there aren't a ton of kids running around everywhere, and the food is good.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #25
mrsgavrily
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
Tusker House at the Animal Kingdom. We had a really good lunch there and will go again on our next trip.
Wow, we hadn't even considered Tusker House. After doing a little research, we are really excited about this one.

We have changed our ADRs for:
- Tusker house breakfast on our AK day (first day)
- Akershus dinner on our EPCOT day

Looks like we are getting the best of both worlds!

We are hesistant to book any character meals outside the parks in case we have trouble with transport.

We are also still considering CRT.

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions!

Can anyone tell me how much it costs for the photo with Donald at Tusker House? xx
mrsgavrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #26
lady_hlh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Our favorite is Cape May Cafe at BC.
I also love Cape May, it is a great breakfast with tons of character interaction plus it isn't as crazy loud or crowded as say Chef Mickeys.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #27
butsy113
AKV Owner

1900 PF would be easy to hit on a MK day. Just hope on the monorail and cruise on over. Eat then cruise back over to MK. Or if your ressie is late (maybe 7:45) you can catch the boat parade go by the Grand Floridian at 9:15.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
sabcook
Mouseketeer

My husband and I ate at Crystal Palace on our honeymoon and had such a good time with the atmosphere and the characters that we have made it a tradition to go back on each trip. It is really fun to go back with the kids now and see their interractions with the characters as well.
Enjoy whatever you decide and have a great trip!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #29
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

I actually would NOT recommend Tusker House.

My last trip was last month with my brother (an adult in his 30's). It was his first trip to Disney so when I was planning our ADRs I was trying to give him descriptions of restaurants and when I described the ones in AK, he told me he wanted to eat at Tusker House (he asked by name). I was a little surprised that he wanted a character meal, but didn't question it--I didn't want him to feel weird or embarrassed. When we were at AK and I was telling him about the reservation I was able to get, he was shocked it was a character meal! In hindsight, I think he may have meant to ask for Yak and Yeti but got confused.

Anyway, we went to Tusker House and it was just loud, lots of kids running around, there were a lot of times when the kids would all get up and do a conga line type dance party with the characters, etc. It seemed like great fun if you are a family with young kids, but not so much for us.

On the other hand, earlier this year I went to Disney with my husband and kids, and we ate at Garden Grill in Epcot. My kids had a great time, but I think it would also be a great experience for adults wanting to do a character meal. There's no "getting out of your seats to do a conga line with the characters" type of thing going on--the characters just come right to your table. The way the booths are formed, you really can't see the other guests at the restaurant, so it's a lot more quiet and calm. Plus, since the restaurant revolves, there is always an interesting change of scenery.
So, my recommendation for adults who want to experience a character meal, would be Garden Grill in Epcot.
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #30
One_Song
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Tusker House. We really like the food selection, and it's nice to be so close to Kili Safaris when you're finished. It may not be a popular opinion, but my husband and I went to CM on one of our trips last year and we were so disappointed. It took far too long to get seated, the service was slow, and the characters seemed a little tired. It will be a long time before we go back.

Michelle's Wishes Wedding & Honeymoon PJ & TR
One_Song is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: