Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #46
cheshirecatattack
Mouseketeer

I think it was funny and takes impossibly frustrating situations and makes them light-hearted. I agree that people should be allowed to take pictures and walk holding hands, but if they want to do that across a busy, main-stream walkway they should expect people to walk through/around them. Having to stop for 500 other peoples photo's during a touring day can get tiresome in a busy theme park. There's always going to be people who cross that line into being obnoxiously rude when these situations arise, but I don't believe the writer is one of them.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #47
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

I read it as satire, and as such, is cute...and funny. People are rude, everywhere. Mostly all one can do is laugh and move on.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #48
jvptravels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square
And really is satire amusing when it is just "people suck, and I know everything?" There has to be a credibility in it to make it amusing.
I don't think the OP was claiming to know everything. But it was amusing because all of the examples are true. The reactions posted by all these critiques gives credibility to the OP. And, yes. People DO suck.

Last edited by jvptravels; 10-10-2012 at 12:01 PM.
jvptravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #49
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanic View Post
Having a kid on your shoulder...more a case of adults hogging all the spots where a child could see.
Sounds more like a case of parents failing to plan ahead, and then wanting to have their cake and eat it, too.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #50
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

wow - I took this as a cute piece written by OP's daughter - one she thought would be amusing to share. I'm amazed with all the critiquing going on - completely unasked for. It's not like she asked for feedback and help to make it better.

You wouldn't want someone to sit there and critique the death out of your trip report, would you? Yes, this is a public forum, yada yada yada...Can't we all cut the kid some slack and leave it to the teacher to do the critiquing?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #51
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Well if you believe people suck you would agree. I believe that all people do good things and dumb things. Especially when they are on vacation. I've seen far more good, kind generous behavior in the disney parks that the stuff that the op wants to complain about.

Satire mocks just a bit about the writer or speaker. It realizes that we all are just people. And we all have a but I crazy.

But really I just can't imagine seeing the world through those poo covered glasses.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #52
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
wow - I took this as a cute piece written by OP's daughter - one she thought would be amusing to share. I'm amazed with all the critiquing going on - completely unasked for. It's not like she asked for feedback and help to make it better.

You wouldn't want someone to sit there and critique the death out of your trip report, would you? Yes, this is a public forum, yada yada yada...Can't we all cut the kid some slack and leave it to the teacher to do the critiquing?
Not really.. cute little high school essays really belong in the school newspaper or on the parent's fridge, not here. If you post an opinion, an essay etc on a public message board, you should expect debate, criticism, or opinions from others.

And most of us here have had our posts criticized in one form or another. So what?

Regarding the cynical outlook of the essay, it's written by a teen. Sometimes at that age, they pride themselves on being miserable and they think they're clever and original for being that way. She may outgrow it.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #53
jvptravels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71
If you post an opinion, an essay etc on a public message board, you should expect debate, criticism, or opinions from others.
Careful, there. In a free country this may be true. But here in the delusional world of the dis, debate, criticism and opinions are NOT welcome. They are bad things that will get you into trouble. If you are critical, you must be arguing. If you share opinions, they will probably be labeled sarcasm. Unless, of course you are a moderator. Then you have all the power of any other communist dictator.
jvptravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #54
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
Can't we all cut the kid some slack and leave it to the teacher to do the critiquing?
You are obviously new here.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #55
luvthemouse71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
You are obviously new here.
Good one.

Last edited by luvthemouse71; 10-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.
luvthemouse71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #56
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
You are obviously new here.[/QUOTE/] Good one.
You gotta take that second slash out of your "end quote" tag.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #57
luvthemouse71

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
You gotta take that second slash out of your "end quote" tag.
Thanks..

See, did I get all hyper over the constructive criticism? Nope, I appreciate it actually. Now, if I can just figure out how to quote multiple posts..

Last edited by luvthemouse71; 10-10-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #58
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Lol lol wow...i just joined this board but i swear, for a whole bunch of people that are just shy of obsessing over an adult dressed up in a gigantic mouse outfit, you sure are taking this little made up kids story awful serious! Clearly many of the things in the story she wouldn't do or couldn't do without being arrested and as for the grammar all you instant English teachers, have you ever tried to post something from a doc. format onto a discussion board? .....Either way folks, right or wrong, lighten up...don't let what someone else says or in this case writes upset you so badly...life is too short! Remember your little motto... have a magical day!
rlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #59
luvthemouse71

Sheesh..may I recommend decaf coffee?

Many of us here weren't offended by it. We just weren't impressed. There's a difference.

Oh, and we're "taking this little made up kid's story seriously" sounds much better than "awful serious"..

Sorry, the writer in me can't help it.

Last edited by luvthemouse71; 10-10-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #60
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

@Luvthe bless you dear...serious or seriously, either way I'm so sorry it bothers you so. It will be ok. I dont care for coffee in any form, but thanks for the offer...the kindness of the folks on here really is impressive to me. Could be thr type of people the young girl is describing in the parks? Maybe? No need to be rude...i i didn't personally attack you, but i see you lesd than mature behavior got the best of you? Be blessed young one!
rlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: