Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWitch View Post
I'm in agreement with MMay (previous poster), and I read this as a humorous / satirical piece. Seriously...if this young person jumped into Cinderella's moat, they'd be shuffled out of the World faster than you can say "Dole Whip, please!". And one of the best ways to convey humor in writing is to use hyperbole and outlandish actions which can make the audience see the absurdity of the situation.

Sophomoric or not, I was mostly impressed with the quality of the writing and the style used. It's actually really neat to see a young person who can write...I think that's a lost art nowadays.

Heck, I was beginning to think that anyone under the age of 20 was incapable of writing anything that wasn't text-message-shortened, or Twitterized. And if I see another person writing emails like "R U comng ovr 2nite?" or "I m going to c u 2moro", I will consider that the apocalypse is a-coming! LOL

As far as the subject, remember we're reading the words coming from a 15 year old brain, and their idea of humor and satire. Not shabby for a kid who is younger than some of the clothes in my wardrobe!! I recently read some of my teenage stuff back in the day, and it's pretty goofy too. But kudos to the author for being articulate! More of this please!

For a sophomore in high school, it's about average for writing ability. If it has been posted verbatim, I'd see it getting scored around 75-85, depending on FCA's, at least at the high school I work at.

For entertainment value, it was cheeky, funny, and the writer is definitely a Dis veteran.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
acebatonfan
VMKer at heart

Looking at this as a junior in high school, I do have a few revisions that could be made.
  • Formatting. Unless it was typed double spaced, there really should be a space between paragraphs. It makes it a lot easier to read than one giant "word wall."
  • Remove all forms of "I" and "you." This is considered a major no-no in formal writing.
  • Those majorly hyphenated words may be better if shortened or removed. For me, I started getting lost around 2/3 of the way through it.
acebatonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebatonfan View Post
Looking at this as a junior in high school, I do have a few revisions that could be made.
  • Formatting. Unless it was typed double spaced, there really should be a space between paragraphs. It makes it a lot easier to read than one giant "word wall."
  • Remove all forms of "I" and "you." This is considered a major no-no in formal writing.
  • Those majorly hyphenated words may be better if shortened or removed. For me, I started getting lost around 2/3 of the way through it.
Me too. I'm glad Sara Jayne was able to quote it with actually breaks in the body of the post. It was one huge mass of words, and my eyes were going crazy!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Me too. I'm glad Sara Jayne was able to quote it with actually breaks in the body of the post. It was one huge mass of words, and my eyes were going crazy!
I went through and put the breaks in. Some may not even be in the right spot.

The English geek in me was going crazy looking at that wall of text.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I think the writer should post an updated POV after she has her own children.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

I understand that it is supposed to be "satire", but she lost me with the poor formatting and the poor attempt to emulate the Declaration.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmay60046

See I kind of assumed that this was a piece of satire.

"Second, when putting up with the people who block your view in a parade or show with their child on their shoulders, I have tried tried to use a water gun and squirt the child until they have slipped off their parents’ shoulders. Sadly, this caused the parents to chase me around the park until I had to dive into the moat of Cinderella’s Castle. Thirdly, instead of having to endure the screams and cries of tired children and their irritable parents who won’t leave, I have tried to dress up as Mickey Mouse and order them to shut up and leave the park. This attempt has only rewarded me with even more flustered children who have now developed a hatred of Mickey, a reaction that even I feel bad to have caused."

I mean do people reading this really believe that she squirts kids on their parents shoulders with a squirt gun? Dodged angry parents by diving into the moat of Cinderella's Castle? Dresses up as Mickey Mouse and orders other guests to shut up and leave the park?

Honestly I read it as a parody of all the people on this message board who constantly whine and complain about what other people do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWitch
I'm in agreement with MMay (previous poster), and I read this as a humorous / satirical piece. Seriously...if this young person jumped into Cinderella's moat, they'd be shuffled out of the World faster than you can say "Dole Whip, please!". And one of the best ways to convey humor in writing is to use hyperbole and outlandish actions which can make the audience see the absurdity of the situation.

Sophomoric or not, I was mostly impressed with the quality of the writing and the style used. It's actually really neat to see a young person who can write...I think that's a lost art nowadays.

Heck, I was beginning to think that anyone under the age of 20 was incapable of writing anything that wasn't text-message-shortened, or Twitterized. And if I see another person writing emails like "R U comng ovr 2nite?" or "I m going to c u 2moro", I will consider that the apocalypse is a-coming! LOL

As far as the subject, remember we're reading the words coming from a 15 year old brain, and their idea of humor and satire. Not shabby for a kid who is younger than some of the clothes in my wardrobe!! I recently read some of my teenage stuff back in the day, and it's pretty goofy too. But kudos to the author for being articulate! More of this please!

Agree, agree. Loved it, OP.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #23
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

It was OK, a little pretentious sounding, but that could just be because teens in general are kind of self centered and full of themselves.

Solid B work. Good in the sense that it wasn't full of text language, but I think the kid was trying too hard to use complex words and sentence structure. Also, paragraphs are good things to have, it would have made it more enjoyable to read.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

I loved it! For the record, I think the whole thing was meant to be humorous and light hearted. For those of you saying things about it being pretentious or rude, I think that was all part of the writing. She totally exaggerated her reactions to suit the purpose of the text.

I think that is higher than average for a 15 year old, I was really impressed.

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #25
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
I loved it! For the record, I think the whole thing was meant to be humorous and light hearted. For those of you saying things about it being pretentious or rude, I think that was all part of the writing. She totally exaggerated her reactions to suit the purpose of the text.

Exaggerating is not a higher than average function for a 15 year old, IMO Hyperbole has its place, if used appropriately. Not sure of the assignment, but if it was for a high school class, to judge writing style, content, and development of a thesis, it was not at all of a higher level than most 15 year olds.

But it was cute, and enjoyable to read, once it was chunked.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
After that article, maybe they'll let her move on to the Junior Class.

15 years as a Sophomore can get a bit monotonous.

~LOL. Oh Robo, you just crack me up.

~OP, your DD should start her own blog!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #27
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by triron View Post
As we plan our Disney trips for the upcoming months, I thought I would share with you the thoughts of a Disney veteran who is also a 15 year Sophomore in High School. She submitted this article in one of her classes as she told them how she was preparing for our Christmas trip this year.

When dealing with the photo-taking guests, I have tried to simply walk through the photo.

Second, when putting up with the people who block your view in a parade or show with their child on their shoulders, I have tried tried to use a water gun and squirt the child until they have slipped off their parentsí shoulders.

When coveting a spot in front of a certain group of people so I no longer would have to to drag at their pace, I searched for the youngest member of the posse since they usually have the weakest strength. Next, I simply charged through the arms of the person spotted, which sent their arms flailing all over the place, and ran as fast as I could so they never knew what hit them. Iím proud to say that this has been one of the most effective of all my techniques of declaring independence from the people of Disney World, and can also work in a variety of other situations such as school hallways. However, if the person was stronger than you estimated and their hand-locks donít end up splitting at all, itís best to claim that youíre blind and avoid them for the rest of your visit.

Lastly, when solving the repugnant issue of people using strollers as battering rams, I have tried to put up nothing less than a war with these people. To start, I have tried to stare them down with my best evil eye just so they know the importance of their ignorance, then I have proceeded to stick my leg in front of the stroller to trip them and their danger-filled buggy. Unfortunately, the only solution I have encountered from this attempt was skid marks all across my leg, a broken stroller, and a soccer mom boiling with anger.
Not sure how to interpret all these ideas. Being a mom of teens though, I would have made them edit the above for content before it got submitted to school.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post

You are 15 yourself, right?
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #29
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

I haven't read the responses, but I wonder if this was a history or English class. It sure sounds like DD doesn't like Disney very much!! Maybe there's somewhere less annoying to her that she'd like to go.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #30
DisLis
Mouseketeer

What a lot of fun reading this! You must feel great that your daughter has such a great sense of humor.
DisLis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: