Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Exclamation Difference Between July & October in WDW?

DH and I normally go to WDW in late July (our anniversary is July 27th) for a few days. We are used to high crowds, BTGs, lots of rain and humidity and anniversary or honeymoon buttons ^_^

This will be our first time ever going in October. I have only been to Orlando once in October, but that was the first year that WWoHP came out and I don't remember too well.

So, I would GREATLY appreciate any tips from the DIS, expecially from people that have done summer and october visits to the World.

Our Plans
We will be arriving on Oct. 24th and leaving on Oct. 30th. We are going mostly for F&W and will be attending MNSSHP on Oct. 28th (sunday).
It is just DH and myself that will be going, no kids.
We will be staying at AoA for our first night, then 25 - 30th we'll be staying at POR. We also have the free dining plan.

We plan on taking advantage of rope drop for MK, DHS (EMH RD), and Epcot.

Specific Questions
* Would sneakers be too hot to wear (socks + fully enclosed feet) or would our summer shoes be better suited?

* It's Orlando, FL, I still need to bring ponchos no matter what season, right?

* Would we still need to bring our mini portable fans to keep cool?

* Will we still need sunblock?

* Comparitively to late July and Late October, what are the crowds like?

* We plan on arriving to MK on Friday the 26th for Rope drop & 9:05am reservation at Crystal Palace. Would we be able to ride a few rides before our ressie?
We also plan on leaving in the afternoon, resting at resort then heading back out for AK (we have a dinner rez at Yak & Yeti @4:15pm), then leaving to Epcot to catch the Eat to the Beat Concert @ 8pm. What do you think our best strategy to tackle the park would be?
Our musts for AK are: Kali River Rapids, Safari & to see the tree up close.

I'd also VERY MUCH appreciate links to websites or other threads with a strategy overview for MNSSHP, we need to figure out our game plan for that evening. I am expecting high crowds for that one since it is a Sunday evening. I can tell you that we don't care about the dwarves, we will hop in the princess line at 6:30pm and plan on arriving at 4pm to MK.

WHEW! Now if you're still awake after reading that, I very much appreciate any tips and advice on questions that I have not asked as well regarding this topic.

Thank you!

Past Disney Trips
Disneyland 1995 • 2005 • 2013
Disney World 2008 CBR (Honeymoon) • 2011 POFQ • 2012 AoA/POR • 2013 AKV/CBR
Disney Cruise 2012 ~ Graduation

Last edited by Amunet; 10-09-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
LoriABil
DIS Veteran

We've been in late May, which isn't exactly summer, but we LOVE October! I'll try to help where I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post

Specific Questions
* Would sneakers be too hot to wear (socks + fully enclosed feet) or would our summer shoes be better suited?
We tend to wear sneakers with socks, but bring Crocs or comfy shoes in the backpack for the known "wet" rides. DS rides Kali River Rapids in AK over and over...(his record is 7 times in a row - 4 of those we didn't have to get off of the ride!) So, we know to change shoes in AK. If you don't ride "wet" rides over and over, I think sneakers and socks will be fine!

* It's Orlando, FL, I still need to bring ponchos no matter what season, right?
I always take the disposable ponchos, just in case. Of course, our only "in case" I left the ponchos in the backpack at the resort! We were only going out to dinner! The only downpour we were in was in May! But I think late October is the end of the rainy season, but I always bring the ponchos "in case."

* Would we still need to bring our mini portable fans to keep cool?
We bring one but never use it. It seems like we mix the indoor rides and shows with the outdoor, so we haven't needed it.

* Comparitively to late July and Late October, what are the crowds like?
I will leave this to someone else. I love October! You have to have a touring plan, but it seems like we don;t have to be as strict with it as we did in May.

* We plan on arriving to MK on Friday the 26th for Rope drop & 9:05am reservation at Crystal Palace. Would we be able to ride a few rides before our ressie?
We have done this before! We rode several rides in Fantasyland prior to our 9:15 reservation, and got a few Fastpasses as well!
We also plan on leaving in the afternoon, resting at resort then heading back out for AK (we have a dinner rez at Yak & Yeti @4:15pm), then leaving to Epcot to catch the Eat to the Beat Concert @ 8pm. What do you think our best strategy to tackle the park would be?
Our musts for AK are: Kali River Rapids, Safari & to see the tree up close.
That's a lot of hopping, IMO! KRR is do-able, but I worry about the Safari. Maybe if you could somehow get a FP for KS prior to eating, then do KRR afterward - the rapids never seem too busy to me. I think waits were 20 minutes at the most when we've been, but this is usually before the Jammin' Jungle Parade?

I'd also VERY MUCH appreciate links to websites or other threads with a strategy overview for MNSSHP, we need to figure out our game plan for that evening. I am expecting high crowds for that one since it is a Sunday evening. I can tell you that we don't care about the dwarves, we will hop in the princess line at 6:30pm and plan on arriving at 4pm to MK.

WHEW! Now if you're still awake after reading that, I very much appreciate any tips and advice on questions that I have not asked as well regarding this topic.

Thank you!
Hope some of that helps! Have a great trip and enjoy!

*Meaning, take everything I say with a grain of salt and a lot of tequila

LoriABil is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
daraddg
DIS Veteran

We were there the last week of OCt in 2009 and are doing it again this year, it is a great time to go. The year we went it was still hot during the day enough that we wore t-shirts and shorts and got some sunburn and could still go swimming but in the evening it got cool, I have a pick from the MNSSHP where I had on a zip down hoodie sweatshirt.The crowds are much better than the high season and I did fine with sneakers and socks.I dont know what weather you are used too I am from South Jersey .I went to weather.com and the month predictor is saying mid to high 80"s during the day and high 60's at night.And yes bring ponchos and fans.Have a great time! and I have found easywdw.com to be a useful site with great crowd predictors etc.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Thank you both!

Lori, Thanks for reminding me about the parade! I completely forgot about it, I will definately need to plan around that. I like the idea of getting FPs for the safari ^_^

Dara, We live in Salt Lake City, UT but are used to cooler weather (originally from Seattle). We both prefer the cold to the hot. BUT we stand the hot for Disney ^_^ As I said, we're used to late July weather, so unless October is as hot or hotter, I think we will like it better

Past Disney Trips
Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Edited the first post to add question about sunblock ^_^

Past Disney Trips
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

We love going in October. We are from Portland OR, and never use the Ponchos. And have never needed a fan in late Oct. to us it seems as if it rarely rains at WDW that late (big difference from our July and Early Sept. experiences ). I also take a sweatshirt to wear in the evenings. During the day I sometimes like to wear sandals, but am fine with my tennis shoes and socks. I love the weather in late Oct. as it is still warm but not as humid. And I get to wear my summer clothes that I already put away at home. But then again, the shorts come out and coats go off in the 60's here.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
LoriABil
DIS Veteran

We definitely take sunblock!

*Meaning, take everything I say with a grain of salt and a lot of tequila

LoriABil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Shanan
Mouseketeer

We also normally go in the summer but we went for our first fall trip October 22-29, 2011 and we loved it! We packed shorts, t-shirts, lightweight capris & lightweight jacket & of course ponchos. We would wear the jacket in the am; put in backpack to get out in evening. We still all used sunblock.

Although we live in Texas & know heat & humidity, it is not my choice to spend my vacation outside in it. I did tell DH that given a choice I would always prefer to go in the fall. Weather was much cooler & able to appreciate the little details of WDW when you aren't worn out from all of the heat.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

You always need sunblock in Florida.

Also, while the rest of the country has settled into "fall" weather Florida has remained warm in the mid to upper 80's with some days hitting the 90's still.

The temperate can also drop dramatically in the evenings or overnight if a coldfront moves through (that'll mean a few hours of strong storms followed by "chilly" weather.)

I can recall it being "cold" on Halloween a few times because of such weather patterns. I'd throw a pair of jeans and a light jacket or a hoodie into your bag just in case. As Florida transitions from summer to winter (there really is no "fall" to speak of) the temperature will begin to zig-zag. It can be in the 90's one day and highs only in the 70's and sometimes 60's the next.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Amunet
DIS Veteran

So basically, Florida is a lot like Utah (slc area) ... it can never make up its mind what season we're in :lol:

Okay, definately sunblock & ponchos + light jacket & jeans as well as tshirts and capris. Possible tank top just in case. I'm wondering if I should bring both sneakers (to wear with socks) and our summer shoes (the kind made for outdoor hiking, closed front and heal but sides are all open to breathe) for it.
I wonder because mine and DHs internal temperature are metered by our feet! Don't want to be wearing sneakers w/ insulating socks when it's 90Ί out!

Past Disney Trips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: