Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
nelle
Mouseketeer

Anyone Taking/Take Young Kids on a Med Cruise??

Has anyone taken or planning on taking young kids on a Med cruise? We want to book a 2014 Med cruise for our DD's grad from high school and I know our older kids will get a lot out of it (at sailing they will be 18, 14, 12,9) but how is it to take younger kids(3.5 twins and new baby will be almost 1)? The baby should be ok if she's like my other kids at that age just put her in a carrier and go but the 3.5y/o twins are a different story. We will have some help in that my mom and my DH's nephew are coming as well.
So anyone take young kids or planning on taking them??? My older kids are well traveled so they should be ok.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelle View Post
Has anyone taken or planning on taking young kids on a Med cruise?
We took our (at the time) 2 year old with us on the 7-day med cruise in 2011 and we are taking him again on the 2013 - he'll turn four on the ship this time round. We will also be travelling with our 18 mos old niece this year as well on the 12-day med cruise.

We had no problems last time round. Our 2 year old came with us everywhere. And we got off on every port. He didn't come into Rome with us last time but he went on the DCL excursion to the Olive Gardens that day with his grandparents. His favourite Port was La Spezia and he still talks about running around the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

This year he helped pick out what he wanted to do - and he definitely wants to go back to the Leaning Tower of Pisa and to go see the broken building in Rome where the fighters are (aka The Coliseum). We have included him on all the planning and he is as excited as his big brother who is 12. We have made sure to include some younger activities for him like horseback riding in Turkey and the Playmobil Factory in Malta this coming summer.

In 2011, he was exhausted by dinnertime, but the great waitstaff made sure his meals came out quickly so he didn't have to wait and dinner went smoothly - and then usually he had his second wind to run around or play before bedtime.

There were not many young children on the ship so he got plenty of attention from everyone. Which made it even that more special for him.

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
3mmm
Mouseketeer

We did the med in 2007 when our kids were 8, 7, 5, 3 and 6 mos. Of note, our 5 year old has Down syndrome so it was a lot like have 3 year old twins and a 6 month old so I think I can relate.

Go for it! We had an awesome time. We brought our nanny and everyone did every port except LaSpezia where our nanny stayed on board with the 5 and 3 year olds and we brought the baby and the older ones. We did do private excursions in Naples, Rome and LaSpezia (where we did both Florence and Pisa) with extended family. We did disney excursions in Sicily and Sardinia, and did Monaco (Villefranche) on our own. We have never regretted it. Your older children will love and appreciate it and you will survive your younger ones - I promise! We did find out that we could have left our 3 younger children in the nursery if we had wanted to. Even our 3 and 5 year old (since she had special needs). Our 3 year old was just barely 3 and barely potty trained so they said we could have left him in the nursery (even though he was registered in the Club) and with our DD's special needs they would have taken her too. Of course , they only had 30 infants registered that cruise so that may have made a difference.

I don't want to mislead you, it was a ton of work on my part, but it was all new to me and I loved the experience and my older children gained so much from it that it was all worth it. Did I get to see and do everything I would have liked? - No. But it was still an awesome trip and I would do it again if I had to. Right now I am enjoying traveling with older children, but I truly value those trips when the kids were young

DS 15, DS 13, DD11, DS9, DS6 as of August 2013
3mmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: