DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #31
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoutemanDan View Post
What's so cool about it?
There's the possibility of being able to get the color of your choice or even cool designs and characters. Kids and some adults would eat that up.

No need to pull out you ticket to get a FP, just tap your band. No need to pull out your KTTW every time you want to get on a ride during EMH.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #32
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenLo View Post
DH and I were at Aulani last week and like SAB you needed to get a wristband daily.
Again, nothing is certain but I do not believe that the RFID wristbands will mirror the difficult-to-remove plastic bracelets used for pool entry and MK after-hours parties.

Those wristbands' sole purpose is identification. It gives CMs an easy visual means to confirm that pool and party guests have rights to access the facilities. And they are specifically designed as one-time-use items so that guests cannot remove their bracelets and share with others who did not pay the price of admission.

The RFID bracelets will serve a different purpose. They are more informational and probably fashionable in nature.

One of the earliest reports suggested that Disney would charge for the bracelets. Like Reddog1134 said, you could choose your own color and character(s)...possibly even have them custom engraved. The RFID chip could store (or link to) a tremendous amount of information including park tickets, electronic FASTPASSES, restaurant reservations, Photopass, refillable mug dispensers, hotel door entry, pool gates, credit card payment info, etc.

It would even store personal information you choose to provide. Disney has been openly testing meet-and-greet characters like Mickey Mouse when can actually speak to and interact with guests. Imagine Mickey Mouse already knowing your name before you "meet" him thanks to the RFID data. Similar interactive features have been planned for virtual queues in park attractions.

As for the bracelets themselves, my assumption is that they would be a rubberized material which can be slipped off and on with a little stretching. I don't see a need to mandate that the bracelets remain in place 24/7 throughout a stay.

I just cannot imagine Disney mandating bracelet use by all guests. The credit-card sized, RFID-enabled Key To The World cards would serve the same purpose and are probably cheaper, too.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #33
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoutemanDan View Post
What's so cool about it?
Being able to wave your band to open doors, update your high scores, enter Fast Pass lines, charge your bill to your room, I see it catching on with most guests.

I am sure that Disney will still offer a card for those who don't want a bracelet but as posted above, younger guests will display their bands proudly.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #34
sskem96
DIS Veteran

We stayed at a resort last year that used RFID bracelets. They were some type of paper material, but waterproof. They were very light weight and we didn't really even notice we had them on. They worked as our room key, water park entry, arcade credits, and charge card for restaurants and shops.

We were a little nervous about it because we don't even link a credit card to our KTTW card at Disney, we just prefer to pay cash and know exactly where we stand with our budget. We were only there for 1 night, but the bracelet worked out great. It was really nice to be able to leave the room and know that's all we needed with us, and we didn't have to worry about carrying a room key, ID, money, etc.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #35
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

They could make our DVC member card into a RFID capable medium.

In addition to all the great things Tim mentioned, it could also probably be used to track our movements around the park , "and a ghost will follow you home..."
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #36
aml3679
Kita's Mom

I am not crazy about wearing anything around my wrist. I take my watch off asap. This would work for adults. What about children?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #37
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
"and a ghost will follow you home..."
Funny you should mention that because I seem to recall that new scene at the end of Haunted Mansion being an example of something they could exploit with RFID. With RFID chip readers, they can attach a digital print of your personalized hitchhiking ghost image to your account--presumably make it part of your PhotoPass with no other manual intervention required.

That's just another rumor but given the technology they are working with, I see no reason why it couldn't happen.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #38
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Ooh, an annual pass on a sweaty wristband used over several trips. Not terribly appealing. I hope they have the option of the cards instead.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 10-10-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #39
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Ooh, an annual pass on a sweaty wristband used over several trips. Not terribly appealing. I hope they have the option of the cards instead.
The AP isn't on the band and I expect that you will get a new band each trip. People will be collecting and saving these things just like they do their old room keys.

Bill

Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #40
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml3679 View Post
I am not crazy about wearing anything around my wrist. I take my watch off asap. This would work for adults. What about children?
I believe most kids won't even notice after awhile they are wearing the bracelet - now there are the exceptions as I know there are some children who have sensory issues and therefore wearing the bracelet can cause problems for them (hopefully they will have an alternative, etc.).

I equate the bracelets for the children to what DCL does for the children on their cruises. Basically they get a bracelet, that is not removable unless cut off, at the beginning of the cruise that they wear the entire cruise (yes, waterproof, etc.). My kids don't even notice the bracelets after a few minutes - we leave them on for the 7 nights and take them off after we get off the ship.
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #41
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

I understand the convenvience of the chips, but there is NO WAY I'm ever wearing a bracelet the entire trip to WDW. DH and I go to nice restaurants in nice clothes and I'm not wearing some craptacular bracelet with my dress clothes.

Shockingly, we even go to nice restaurants off property. How would that look? Like we've escaped from some institution and those are our ID bracelets??

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #42
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
I understand the convenvience of the chips, but there is NO WAY I'm ever wearing a bracelet the entire trip to WDW. DH and I go to nice restaurants in nice clothes and I'm not wearing some craptacular bracelet with my dress clothes.

Shockingly, we even go to nice restaurants off property. How would that look? Like we've escaped from some institution and those are our ID bracelets??
Disney would never force you to wear a bracelet that's not the Disney way. What they will do is make using the bracelet fun and efficient and others will follow.

Lets say you are in line to enter the MK waiting to scan your finger and others are in the next line waving their band and walking through. I venture to guess that it won't take long for the finger scanners to switch to bands.

I also think that they will offer cards but for most the bands will catch on and be a popular item.

Bill

Old 10-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #43
CRobin
DIS Veteran

I agree with Bill.

This looks like a pilot program, maybe with new park turnstile gates for "wristbands only" to see how it plays out. Disney is not going to say "Enjoy the Magic - AND KEEP THAT WRISTBAND ON 24 HOURS A DAY....OR ELSE"

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
CRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #44
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post

No no no, alarms go off and benefits are forfeited if you leave property. Once the bracelet is attached your locked in.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #45
BarrerasFamily
Earning My Ears

This is the best comment I've ever heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
I vote for a neck collar like in running man, then if you leave Disney property your head explodes.

Total Family Trips to Walt Disney World = 15

Last DVC Trip - Grand Californian 2012 Christmas
Upcoming WDW trip - BCV Spring Break 2013

BarrerasFamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: