Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #76
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw&sonny View Post
Very well said.

And as others have pointed out, a big advantage at waterparks to not have to carry the KTTW card in a arm band. I love the idea of just going from slide to lunch without having to go the locker to get my wallet.

Also, no need to bring valuables to the pool. At beach club, they check your KTTW card for access to the pool. What a pain to have to bring KTTW card and leave it unguarded while taking a swim.

And on Cruises, for shore excursion...leave the wallet in the room.

Those who resist, sound like my dad who thought cordless phones were pointless and that the VCR was never going to catch on.

They'll fix the bugs and we will all be using them...
So true
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #77
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran
 
MikeandReneePlus5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
P.S. I LOVE my grocery store's rewards program. Thanks to them tracking my daily purchases, I now only get coupons in the mail that I can actually use. It's wonderful! I save a lot more money now that I use all the coupons they send me, instead of throwing most of them away because they're for foods we don't eat.
There's a scene in Minority Report when Tom Cruise walks into a Gap ...oh heck rather than describe it here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx9IEP8pmiI
__________________
and as we wind on down the road...
MikeandReneePlus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #78
MrRob
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaShaw View Post
I'm not following your logic.

If one puts it in a bag or pocket, how is that any less a pain than a conventional ticket?
Look at it this way.

As a ticket I put it in my pocket and have to get it whenever I need it.

As a wristband, I can either put it in my pocket and get it whenever I need it, which would be identical to the ticket. OR, I can wear it and have that convenience.

One gives me one option, the other gives me two.
MrRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #79
baby1disney
DIS Veteran
 
baby1disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 1,696

I have a few concerns with this and I don't know if anyone else has mentioned these because I skipped to the last page (I'm at work and don't have the time to read all the pages..LOL! SHHH!!) and here they are:

1. Are they gonna raise the prices, AGAIN, to have these wristbands?? Or is it going to be cheaper for us?? I can't imagine them being cheap, so does that mean that we have to pay for them since this is what Disney decided to do?

2. What sizes are the gonna make them in? With little kids, especially, they tend to not wear things on their wrist sometimes and/or babies like to try and tear them off. While I'll admit it may keep them busy in the strollers (LOL), they aren't going to like it too much. What happens if they do take them off and throw it down or tear it? Will the parents have to pay for another one?

3. Just how much more information does Disney need from us? With the amount of FPs taken everyday and the finger scans, and the tickets, the resort rooms being booked, what other information do they need?

4. How durable are these going to be?? Will they survive the pools, showers, rain, or any other kind of liquid substance that may get on them?

I'm sure I have a few more to ask, but I gotta get back to work
__________________
"Be grateful that Walt's dream is a place that inspires us to believe, feel, and know that magic also lives in us."~~
Me DBF DS(9)
SSR w/DF and family--December 2006
OKWw/DF and DS and inlaws--October 2007
AKV w/DH, DS and inlaws--March 2009
SSR w/Inlaws--October 2010
baby1disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #80
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1disney View Post
I have a few concerns with this and I don't know if anyone else has mentioned these because I skipped to the last page (I'm at work and don't have the time to read all the pages..LOL! SHHH!!) and here they are:

1. Are they gonna raise the prices, AGAIN, to have these wristbands?? Or is it going to be cheaper for us?? I can't imagine them being cheap, so does that mean that we have to pay for them since this is what Disney decided to do?
This is Disney - do you really need to ask?

Disney will raise prices every year, regardless of whether the wristbands save or cost them money. They'll raise them as high as they possibly can, until they find that sweet spot between squeezing every dollar they can out of you, and actively driving you to their competitors. *cough*Universal*cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1disney View Post
2. What sizes are the gonna make them in? With little kids, especially, they tend to not wear things on their wrist sometimes and/or babies like to try and tear them off. While I'll admit it may keep them busy in the strollers (LOL), they aren't going to like it too much. What happens if they do take them off and throw it down or tear it? Will the parents have to pay for another one?
'

Since the bracelets only hold an ID code, not any actual information, I'm going to hazard a guess that replacing them at Guest Services will be simple, and not something they would charge for.

In fact, bracelets will likely be even easier to replace than tickets, since your information is already in Disney's computer systems. The only trick will be deactivating the bracelet as soon as you report it lost, so no one else can use it to charge items to your credit card.

Babies and toddlers obviously wouldn't have charging privileges on their bracelet.

Bonus - bracelets will probably be harder to counterfeit, since they each have a unique code connecting to a specific guest in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1disney View Post
3. Just how much more information does Disney need from us? With the amount of FPs taken everyday and the finger scans, and the tickets, the resort rooms being booked, what other information do they need?
I wouldn't think they'd need any additional information, beyond what they already have. The bracelets would only contain an ID code, connecting you to a central databank.

However, from what I understand, Disney has several different computer systems running simultaneously, not all of which talk to each other and some of which are badly outdated. (Which is why Disney billing thought we lived in Switzerland, while the reservations system was well aware we're in Canada, and why Magical Express assures me we're in their system, even if it doesn't show on the Disney website.) I'm guessing a big goal of all these changes is getting everything under one big umbrella, to simplify access to data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1disney View Post
4. How durable are these going to be?? Will they survive the pools, showers, rain, or any other kind of liquid substance that may get on them?

I'm sure I have a few more to ask, but I gotta get back to work
I'm guessing very, very durable, and designed to be worn in the pool/waterparks. It'll make a nice souvenir of your trip.

Added bonus - no more accidental demagnetization of room keys, because you absentmindedly stuck them in your wallet next to your credit cards!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #81
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,422

Just had a thought...

If the main security risk with regards to bracelets is the possibility of a thief using it to charge items to your account (whether by actually stealing the bracelet itself or using a portable RIFD reader to swipe the ID code)... couldn't they simply have people use a PIN number or password whenever they use it to make purchases?
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #82
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,933

Don't forget that with the Fantasyland expansion there will be approx. 25K more people allowed into the Magic Kingdom each day. These bands will be a way to get people in quicker (until one doesn't work) and to give out fast passes quicker.
__________________
lugnut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #83
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Just had a thought...

If the main security risk with regards to bracelets is the possibility of a thief using it to charge items to your account (whether by actually stealing the bracelet itself or using a portable RIFD reader to swipe the ID code)... couldn't they simply have people use a PIN number or password whenever they use it to make purchases?
For those interested in RFID security, check out the write up by Snopes (my trusted site for the truth)

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp
__________________
lugnut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #84
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,285

Me no like-y. I am old school when it comes to being in crowded places with pick-pockets and higher risks of losing things. My park passes are just that. Paper park passes. My room key is just that. It opens my hotel room. It does not have charging privileges. For making charges, I use a credit card. It doesn't get me into the park or get me fast passes, and it doesn't open my hotel room. It is just a method of payment. Oh, the horrors! I have to carry three separate things. A park pass, a room key and a credit card. My, how inconvenient. But far less inconvenient than putting all my eggs in one basket and having that basket get lost or stolen.

We've all been stuck behind a family at a turnstile who has one or more members with a KTTW that won't work correctly. It stinks. But once the problem is solved, off they go. Imagine how many times a day you are going to have to use this new thing-a-ma-bob, and now imagine what will happen when it hiccups. The last thing I want is to be stuck outside my hotel room at 2:00 a.m. listening to some security person talking into his radio telling HQ that "another guest can't get into their room because they got drenched on Kali Raiver Rapids."

And God help us if these things are supposed to be worn 24/7. Water Wolf Lodge, or whatever it is called, is no comparison. How many people do 10 day stays at Chlorine World? Do you really want a sweaty plastic band on your wrist for 10 days straight? Heck. I don't even sleep with my wedding ring on.

I miss tearing "E" tickets out of the books.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #85
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Me no like-y. I am old school when it comes to being in crowded places with pick-pockets and higher risks of losing things. My park passes are just that. Paper park passes. My room key is just that. It opens my hotel room. It does not have charging privileges. For making charges, I use a credit card. It doesn't get me into the park or get me fast passes, and it doesn't open my hotel room. It is just a method of payment. Oh, the horrors! I have to carry three separate things. A park pass, a room key and a credit card. My, how inconvenient. But far less inconvenient than putting all my eggs in one basket and having that basket get lost or stolen.

We've all been stuck behind a family at a turnstile who has one or more members with a KTTW that won't work correctly. It stinks. But once the problem is solved, off they go. Imagine how many times a day you are going to have to use this new thing-a-ma-bob, and now imagine what will happen when it hiccups. The last thing I want is to be stuck outside my hotel room at 2:00 a.m. listening to some security person talking into his radio telling HQ that "another guest can't get into their room because they got drenched on Kali Raiver Rapids."

And God help us if these things are supposed to be worn 24/7. Water Wolf Lodge, or whatever it is called, is no comparison. How many people do 10 day stays at Chlorine World? Do you really want a sweaty plastic band on your wrist for 10 days straight? Heck. I don't even sleep with my wedding ring on.

I miss tearing "E" tickets out of the books.
Hmm... I would think that you do have all your eggs in one basket - it's called your wallet. When that's stolen, you have at least three items to replace instead of just one, tripling the headache.

Meanwhile if someone else's (almost certainly waterproof) bracelet gets stolen, they can simply confirm their ID at guest services and have a new bracelet reissued. No need to cancel credit cards, or replace identification.

I know which I'd choose! Mind you - I wear bracelets anyway, so adding another into the mix is no big deal. Sometimes I even wear a wristwatch, if I'm feeling all retro.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #86
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Hmm... I would think that you do have all your eggs in one basket - it's called your wallet. When that's stolen, you have at least three items to replace instead of just one, tripling the headache.
Nope. Don't carry a wallet in a back hip pocket in crowded places. Park cards are all kept in the cardboard folder in one pocket. Money and credit card in another pocket. And room key in another pocket. No fumbling around and no threat of losing everything at once. Besides. Once in the park, the hotel key serves no purpose, so it never gets taken out.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #87
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
(almost certainly waterproof) bracelet gets stolen, they can simply confirm their ID at guest services and have a new bracelet reissued.
It's the "almost" that bothers me. And yes. This new system would have people going to guest services to fix "problems" which are undeniably inevitable. (See the earlier post from the person who had a FP+ nightmare on their trip). My method requires no intervention by guest services. It has served me well at WDW since 1972 without a single problem, though, admittedly, the process has changed now and again over time.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #88
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran
 
heidijanesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,535

I know this is weird, but I hate wearing wristbands. I am very claustrophobic and for some reason wristbands trigger my claustrophobia. I have to have the wristband put on very loosely, so I can wiggle out of it.

I would have to attach the parkticket/wristband to my letter carrier purse, though I am not sure how that would work? Maybe on a clip, like the little sunscreen bottles have.
__________________


May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #89
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Nope. Don't carry a wallet in a back hip pocket in crowded places. Park cards are all kept in the cardboard folder in one pocket. Money and credit card in another pocket. And room key in another pocket. No fumbling around and no threat of losing everything at once. Besides. Once in the park, the hotel key serves no purpose, so it never gets taken out.
You sound like a seasoned traveller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
It's the "almost" that bothers me. And yes. This new system would have people going to guest services to fix "problems" which are undeniably inevitable. (See the earlier post from the person who had a FP+ nightmare on their trip). My method requires no intervention by guest services. It has served me well at WDW since 1972 without a single problem, though, admittedly, the process has changed now and again over time.
I said "almost" because I can't imagine they'd design this thing not to be waterproof. After all, waterparks are already using the technology. So, no I don't foresee hoards of people torching their bracelets on Kali River Rapids. Or even in the shower after their park day is over.

Your method may not require guest services intervention (well, losing your park tickets and/or room key would), but I still think losing a credit card would be worse than losing an RFID bracelet! YMMV.

I think the main advantage to the bracelet is that none of the information is actually on the bracelet itself. It's all in Disney's computer database. The bracelet is just a key that allows you to access it. However, if you prefer to carry your money and ID and credit cards on your physical person, that's your right. I imagine Disney will always give you that option, so long as they still sell rooms and tickets a-la-carte.

The only time you'd have to worry is if Disney stopped selling room-only or single tickets and went to package only. But that will never happen, as then they'd lose all the guests who stay off-site.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #90
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.
 
Friendly Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,563

I like everything about it except for the ability to track me. I don't like stalkers, even mouse eared ones.

I can certainly see Disney using the information to customize their marketing. However, I am assuming than any "traffic" tracking will not be "real time". I just don't think that would be feasible.


LOL, just imaging a room full of employees monitoring things such as:

Ride operators letting someone ride too many times in a row?

Someone who is going back and forth to their car a little too often?

Guests in "out of bound" areas? (Or Pool hopping violations / requiring your bracelet to enter your pool at any resort?)

Guests doing pug crawls?

Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.