Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools

i would say that the food is traditional, but the choices have been made to appeal to american palets... eg in the french restaurant, the choices could have been more "French" but they HAVE respected the french traditions, eg the profiteroles are served with icecream filling, and not cream, as would be traditional elsewhere. The UK restaurant again, serves UK food, with americanised twists... not what id serve at home, but not far off iyswim.

i can only comment on the UK, france and Italy, having spent time living in all 3 countries. the german one, from holidays there, seems pretty realistic too xx
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInLINY View Post
And that is why we are fat and they are not lol. Well except if they are Americanized.
Americanized like in China KFC is opening a new franchise like every 10 seconds and they still can't get enough.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Americanized like in China KFC is opening a new franchise like every 10 seconds and they still can't get enough.
Too bad the part of American culture we seem to share the most is fast food. Really, it's not a very nice thing to do to the rest of the world!

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Hmmmm - not sure you will find authentic so much at the World Showcase. I have lived overseas most of my adult life and visited several countries/regions of the world, I do enjoy dining at the WS just not expecting authentic as if I were to actually visit the country - I haven't tried many of the table restaurants, so I can mostly comment about quick service.

A few thoughts/ observations - the hummus at Tangierine cafe is "spot on" really reminds me of the hummus man next door to the post office where I lived in Jordan. When I want some good hummus here I go to Tangierine Cafe - which is often - I order the swarma platter though - NOT the meze plate. Sorry I thought the meze plate was not so good - olives put me off I think - very "American" out of a can olives.

The chicken last time I had it was great - the lamb is the "Americanized Gyro" - in many parts of the Middle East you actually see the chunks of lamb added to the skewer in the morning - roasting all day - the lamb at Tangierine is more like the mall gyro food joint. The tabboule at Tangierine Cafe is good though may be not quite as "fresh" looking as is usual at a Middle Eastern home for example - where they chop it by hand hours before. IMO the shwarma platter is the way to go at Tangierine Cafe because you get the good hummus, decent tabboule, good chicken and decent lamb - and thought the couscous good as well on that.

So I would recommend Tangierine Cafe - for a quick service and especially the swarma platter.

I thought Chefs de France was very good - though I do agree the menu adjusted for Americans. I enjoy it and will probably eat there occasionally. I thought it was good food cooked in a French way - but not like being in France.

The sushi rolls in Japan I enjoy at the quick service - as an alternative to the ordinary - but yeah not like if you were in Japan - or in my case if your Korean roommate made kim bop fresh for you which she did often - she hated to see me eat that "evil" pizza again. Was it the best sushi roll I've had - no - but it was a good option if you are looking for something a bit different than a hamburger - yeah!

The tacos were ok in Mexico - not the best I've eaten but good none the less if you are craving taco. Now I am from Texas originally so seems like everyone in Texas has an opinion about Tex Mex or what good Mexican food should be - .

Anyway - hope you can find some good meals you enjoy at the World Showcase - it does make dining days at WDW much more interesting IMO and gives variety of options. At least have fun trying them!

* 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #20
PrincessSamanthaC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
If you are looking for great ethnic food head to Sanaa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It offers food with a mix of Indian and African favors and everything we have tried has been wonderful. It is located in the Kidani Village Building, not the main building, Jambo House.
I agree 100%

Nov 05' ASM, Nov 07' PC, Oct 09' CS, Nov 10' AKL Oct 11' BC, Aug 12' BC Aug 13' BC, Aug 14' GF
PrincessSamanthaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #21
Leota
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzperry View Post
Too bad the part of American culture we seem to share the most is fast food. Really, it's not a very nice thing to do to the rest of the world!
Ain't that the sad truth....

Yeah, you aren't going to find truly authentic food in WS, some good stuff, yes. But not authentic. If you are in WS & hungry, I suggest you go over to the Swan & Dolphin to eat - you will get some great sushi (the resorts have a large Japanese clientele) and I think Il Mulino is fantastic, altho sadly I can't vouch for it being truly authentic as I have not been to Italy. But it is not American-Italian with red sauce & meatballs, kwim?

If you have been to France, or enjoy a good authentic French restaurant near you, I would skip Chefs in France. I trained in classical French cuisine. I made the mistake of eating there & expecting the food to be what I was used to.

As a general rule in WDW - the resorts are going to offer you better food than the theme parks. And within that, the few places that do NOT take DDP are going to be better.
*~* Offsite 1973 ~ Fort Wilderness Cabins 1993,1995,1998 ~Disneyland, Offsite, 1997,1998 ~ All-Star Sports 1999 ~ Beach Club 2000 ~ Wilderness Lodge 2001 ~ Polynesian/Coronado Springs 2001 ~ Dolphin 2001 ~ Swan 2004 ~ Grand Floridian, Happy Haunts 2004 ~ Dolphin/Animal Kingdom Lodge 2005 ~ PO French Quarter 2005 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge / Swan 2005 ~ Swan 2006 ~ Swan 2006 ~ Dolphin 2007 ~Dolphin 2007 ~ Dolphin 2008 ~ Dolphin 2009 ~ Dolphin 2009 ~ Dolphin 2010 ~ Wyndham Lake Buena Vista 2011 ~ Windsor Hills 2011~ Swan 2012 ~ Bonnet Creek 2013 ~ Home from now on! *~*

Making our Florida Dreams Come True
Move In Day: June 10th, 2013.... Finally!!!

Leota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
nansmama
DIS Veteran

I also recommend Tangierine Cafe in Morocco. I'm not sure how "Morocco authentic" it is, but it's very good and certainly less Americanized than some of the other options in World Showcase. When we went to Akershus, it seemed quite authentic, but we haven't been there in a few years. There is a snack cart in Japan that has miso soup, edamame, and that shaved ice stuff (I'm blanking on the name).
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #23
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

On 2 different trips, we have taken German foreign-exchange students to Biergarten, and they were both delighted with the food and said it represented German food well.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
Angie789
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Chinese people do not eat the Chinese food they sell Americans. Their version is healthy without the addition of grease and sauces. Their portions are very small and plain.
While it is true that authentic Chinese food is quite different than what you'll find in an American restaurant, it is absolutely not true that most Chinese food doesn't add grease or is plain. I suspect your friend's father is from the southern parts of China (or even Taiwan) if that is the way he cooks. Many regions of China serve food that is quite spicy and/or greasy by American standards, and in Western China they eat lots of meat (and hardly any rice - they are noodle eaters). Sorry, but I lived in China for many years and traveled all over the country so I am very familiar with the cooking styles there and there is immense variation. There is not one "Chinese" style of cooking.

That said, what they serve at Epcot doesn't taste like anything I experienced anywhere in China. If authentic food matters to you, I strongly suspect you could do better in an Asian-owned restaurant in Orlando than you could at Disney.
Angie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Bistro de Paris, but it is undergoing renovation and new mangaemnet. I hope it doesn't get water down now.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp2mco View Post
On 2 different trips, we have taken German foreign-exchange students to Biergarten, and they were both delighted with the food and said it represented German food well.

I agree! DH lived it Germany for 9 months and loves eating at Biergarten. It seems rather authentic to him.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post

I agree! DH lived it Germany for 9 months and loves eating at Biergarten. It seems rather authentic to him.
I agree as well. As much as I said in an earlier post that most of the ethnic cuisines have been modified for the average American palate, Biergarten has tampered the least. We lived in Germany for 3 years, and I would rank Biergartens spaetzle, saurbraten, and saurkraut right up there with what we ate in some of the little villages near where we lived.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #28
tony67
I always get odd looks when I put mayo on my fries
Ask for Pepe - "The Master"

I think there was a time when WS was more authentic, but after the first year of the DDP things had to change.

The problem (IMO) is that when the food plan came in the menus had to be changed to appeal to a wider audience.

I recall talking to several of the staff in the restaurants about this and the issues were people ordering the most expensive thing on the menu (because they wanted to get value for money) and then sending it back because it was not appealing to them. In addition they needed to operate within the constraints of the DDP reimbursement and things like the daily chefs specials went away.

Overall considering it is a theme park in the US and have to appeal to a wider range of people because of the DDP I think they do an OK job – but don’t expect it to be as good as the real thing.

If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always depend on the support of Paul.

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.”

Be seeing you.
tony67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Tokyo Dining is great quality raw sushi and sashimi, and hand rolls. We love that place.

Tangierine Cafe is really great quality food as well, great value too.

I think the cheese plate in the bakery in France for $6.50 is one of the best values on property. Pair that with a baguette and a tarte de pomme (apple tart, literally amazing) and it's lunch for dh and me under $10

We love the brats in Germany

I don't know how authentic Norwegian they are, but the vegetable tarts at Kringla are yummy.

La Cava del Tequila has some seriously authentic Mexican tequilas, WOW! Hole up there for a couple of flights...fun!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #30
DEA
DIS Veteran

I'd also agree with Akershus being authentic. I mean, why else would you choose to serve herring for breakfast?

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: