Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #31
tinkgirl1984
Mouseketeer

I'm 27 and my sister is 24 and our favorite thing in our stocking every year is the $100 grocery store gift card. Lol. My mom still buys presents also, usually expensive things that I want but won't splurge on for myself, but usually other than 1 or 2 big items, it's gift cards for every day useful things like the grocery store, Panera, Starbucks, iTunes etc. I also agree with the poster who mentioned making things more about the tradition. The thing I miss most now that I'm a grown up is waking up early on Christmas morning and seeing what Santa left under the tree with my sister.

Enough beignets to kill a person...and other Disney dining.
tinkgirl1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #32
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2d&b View Post
Last year all the nieces and nephews (10 - 18) recieved footie pj's from an aunt. They were a hit much to my surprise. They all pu them on for a group pic.

OT, but I had to laugh at this. DH saw the footie PJ's in an ad flyer last weekend and declared tha he was going to make sure that our DD had plenty of them once she hit puberty, "Because THAT is the most effective mood-killer that I've ever seen. Those things are a guaranteed man-repellant."

NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #33
ExPirateShopGirl
My posts are sanitized for your protection!
Oh, sorry. The dog just peed on it.

We used to travel a lot in lieu of many gifts. With two girls, the 'stuff' got overwhelming early on. I put a moratorium on dollar store crap, stickers, lisa frank and single-purpose gadgets/garbage that were tossable months later. We used to give a year of lessons for different activities instead; dance, soccer, piano, etc. Still, girls are girls and I know how much they love it at Christmas when I get them each a new wallet loaded with gift cards for their favorite stores; whole foods, trader joe's, nordstrom, amazon, bloomingdales, jamba juice, starbucks, itunes, target, etc. If we plan to travel I add in Visa or Amex gift cards so they can buy a souvenir on the trip. They also love a nice wool coat or a pair of pricey boots under the tree. Something they could never buy themselves. It's an indulgance they can use for years to come. This year I am probably going to get them Kindle Paperwhites or iPad minis, something they can travel with.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #34
Mirax
Mouseketeer

My father always fills the stocking, it's his job and we are all adults. It's always fun to see what he comes up with. Most items in our stockings are things we need, shampoo, deoderant, chapstick, ect..... Sometimes we get a scarf or other peice of unique accesory type thing(jewelry). He doesn't spend alot on stockings it's just fun to see what he picks out for us. This year the boys(10 & 12) stockings are going to be filled much the same way. We just don't need to fill our house with things we don't need. The baby is getting toys that the older boys played with when they were babys. I have a crate of geotracks
Mirax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #35
disneywwjrb
Earning My Ears

We are going on a cruise in April, Disney, of course, and are buying the kids things they'll need on the cruise. Snorkels, swimsuits, trading pins, pirate costumes, and water bottles will all be found under our tree! What are you planning for next year that you can gift for now? How about new luggage?
disneywwjrb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: