Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
EllenFrasier
DIS Veteran

Christmas presents that aren't just more "stuff"

What are some creative gifts for young people that are not just more "stuff"? The older kids have cell phones, Ipods, etc. and I really don't want to spend a fortune on the newest gadget on the market.

Guess it's because it's only October, but I'm not feeling too imaginative right now. The most I've come up with so far is movie tickets.
EllenFrasier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

What ages are you shopping for?

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

A few we have done, or are doing this year:

A family date night..dinner and a movie
A beach week-end (we are 4 hours from myrtle beach)
A night at great wolf lodge
gift cards to movies, restaurants, build-a bear
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
EllenFrasier
DIS Veteran

Ages 24, 22, 19, & 13
EllenFrasier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Concert tickets
sporting event ticket
ski/snowbaord lessons
paintball or lazer tag session

Just saw their ages
Car wash tickets and gas cards for the older ones
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Netflix subscription
magazine subscription
food--popcorn tin or fruit basket, cookies, baked goods

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS

Last edited by mrsbornkuntry; 10-08-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: oops, forgot op already thought of movie tickets
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
mom2d&b
DIS Veteran

Segway tours
Zip line experience
Last year all the nieces and nephews (10 - 18) recieved footie pj's from an aunt. They were a hit much to my surprise. They all pu them on for a group pic.
mom2d&b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Last year I got my DH theater tickets. For my birthday I had him take me zip-lining. I saw both of those and more mentioned and just wanted to add they are great ideas. We don't need more "stuff" either so we are moving to getting and asking for experience type gifts or practical.
Today is DH's birthday and one of the things I got him was a pack of razor blades. Those things are expensive, so a great gift for a young person who might not have a ton of cash. I know my mom put them in stockings when I still lived at home.
I am asking for Wen shampoo for Christmas. Practical but not something I would buy myself because of the cost. If his parents ask what to get him for Christmas I am going to tell them a gift card so he can get new running shoes.

So I guess my contribution is beauty/personal hygiene products!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
limace
DIS Veteran

I may get my teen girl who loves fashion and makeup a birchbox subscription.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer

I am a big fan of 'experiences' even for our 8 and 5 year old. I struggle because family prefers to get actual presents (toys and clothes) but that isn't really what our kids need. The closets and toy boxes are overflowing...

For your age group -

amusement park passes
overnight away (with adult) to an indoor water park
iTunes gift cards/movie gift cards
gas cards
restaurant gift cards (teens like to eat out with friends)
depending on where you live - parasailing, you could rent a boat for an afternoon (with an adult driving as the chaperone, of course), etc.
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

we're looking at experiences as gifts for our 12 year old (to be 13 in 2 months) for both birthday and Christmas

So far I have ziplining and an archery lesson at WDW FW

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
zoemariesmamma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenFrasier View Post
What are some creative gifts for young people that are not just more "stuff"? The older kids have cell phones, Ipods, etc. and I really don't want to spend a fortune on the newest gadget on the market.

Guess it's because it's only October, but I'm not feeling too imaginative right now. The most I've come up with so far is movie tickets.
A family trip to Disney of course!!! I am in the same boat, although mine is only ten so it is much easier. For her birthday she got tickets to Beauty and the Beast from the Broadway series and tickets to an American Girl Fashion show. The fashion show is done for a local children's hospital so it does double duty as a charity contribution. HMMM...now that I think about it it may be a tax write off?

Anyway, I haven't read all the post but amusement park tickets, theater tickets, dinner and a movie night, a weekend getaway. I know that I love to get gift certificates for massages that is something I love but don't always want to splurge on for myself. I know that people have mixed feelings about giving groupons but sometimes you can get great deals for spas and weekend getaways.
zoemariesmamma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

Clothes
Shoes/boots
Purses (a nice Coach or whatever they are into)
Perfume/Cologne
A really nice watch

All of these require them to give you a pretty specific list (my mother once bought me an "outfit" without any input from me around that age - please don't do that!!!). But I'm sure they'll help you out if you drop a hint or two
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

My kids are getting season passes to the zoo, an amusent park and a water park. Individually they are each getting tickets or a gc to a place or experience they enjoy. A GC that will cover the cost of a few skating sessions for my oldest, a ticket to Legoland Discovery center (to go with mom or dad) for my youngest, and probably tickets to a play for my DD13. I have also considered lessons for something they want to learn. Lessons or classes can work even for older kids if there is somthing they love or always wanted to learn to do. We have done theatre or concert tickets a lot for our kids, each other and other family members. Same thing with sporting events, museum tickets or memberships. The kids enjoy passes for mini golf, go karts or arcades. We have also done gym memberships, manicures, spa gcs and hair salon services.

kayrosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

For many years - we got our DD tickets to see a play. Sometimes they were broadway (on tour) productions, other times - they were local theaters. Each type of theater has its own charm! And - we enjoyed them all.

This year - we will be seeing Newsies in New York, technically the trip is DD's high school graduation present...but we happen to be doing this trip the week before Christmas

We've also given DD classes to take at our local Y - as they used to have a great craft night one time a month.

DD is now at the age where she would enjoy the splurge of a mani/pedi and or massage.

One last idea - and depending on your specific circumstances (i.e. how much you want to spend) is give them a trip to go visit someone. We bought airfare for DD to go visit an aunt and uncle when she was 15.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!

Last edited by clh2; 10-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: