Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

Son doing CP Jan-May 2013 need advice

My son will be participating in the CP, he got his assignment and dates. (YAY!) I have a couple questions regarding the best way to help him:

1. He has to be there Jan 22. and check in between 9 and 11. Does it make sense for us to go down a day early (and stay on property in a different location) and help him check in that first day? Is it like checking into your college dorm?

2. Are the kids 100% busy that first couple of days? What I mean is, if we decide to take a family vacation at this time, will we see him after he checks in or are they busy, busy busy right away? Orientation or work?

3. We will be going to Orlando in March for our real vacation. I saw that he can bring up to three guests in to the park on certain days. I'm guessing that has to be on his day off? Can you tell me how that works?

Thanks so much for your help!

june@imsarc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
hsteacher
Mom of a Disney Princess and Prince

My daughter was in the CP in 2009 so I'll share what I know from that time:

We went down the day before and stayed overnight. We helped her move in but left afterwards as she was meeting roommates and started Traditions the next day. We didn't hang out with her - not even dinner as she was busy; either socially meeting new people or training.

To get into the park with a Cast Member, they have to be present at the gate to get you in. It doesn't have to be their day off but if they're working they have to get you in before they begin working. The passes worked this way back then: 6 Main Gate/hopper passes with 3 entrances on each pass. If you only had 2 people to get in, you lost the 3rd pass on one of the 6.

Your Spring Break or any time you vacation while they're in the CP is not necessarily their "day off". They work lots and at different hours. Many CP's work extra hours they pick up to earn extra money. I saw my daughter when her work schedule allowed. They do get a great discount on Disney resorts and the dining plan also.

Hope that helps.

Disney:
1982 - off site, honeymoon, 1989 CBR, 1990 off site
1992 CBR, 1995 WL, 1996 WL, 1997 DCL, 1998 DCL,
1999 WL, 2000 DCL, 2002 Dolphin, 2003 DCL,
2004 Dolphin, 2005 WL, 2006 DCL, 2007 Swan,
2008 Dolphin and 2008 DVC owners at BWV
2009 BCV, CSR, BCV, BCV and BWV. OK so my DD was a CM and we visited lots!
hsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

thank you hsteacher!

What types of discounts did she get for food or merchandise?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
hsteacher
Mom of a Disney Princess and Prince

These may have changed as I'm guessing they can from program/year to year:

I think she received 20% off merchandise and similar on food. There may have been some restrictions or varying percentages depending on quick service and table service.

Disney:
1982 - off site, honeymoon, 1989 CBR, 1990 off site
1992 CBR, 1995 WL, 1996 WL, 1997 DCL, 1998 DCL,
1999 WL, 2000 DCL, 2002 Dolphin, 2003 DCL,
2004 Dolphin, 2005 WL, 2006 DCL, 2007 Swan,
2008 Dolphin and 2008 DVC owners at BWV
2009 BCV, CSR, BCV, BCV and BWV. OK so my DD was a CM and we visited lots!
hsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
sonshineandsmiles
Earning My Ears

Congratulations!

We arrived three or four days prior to check-in and visited the parks as a family; and then scheduled a full week at the end of his work cycle.

Our son was able to arrange his end schedule as days off, so we could still use his discounts! Hotel discounts are INCLUDED! 40% off! Hotel availability is listed on the cast member's "hub" online. Once your new cast member makes that reservation for you online, "Mom" can then call ask questions (because we always have questions) :-)

We were able to reserve Disney Boardwalk Villa at almost half off. It is a comfortable walk to Epcot and the two days he did have to work; he walked us through the gates and then departed for work - easy!

ALSO, the park ticket "free entry" for family & friends is a Park Hopper Ticket! Normally, you must buy a Disney package w/tickets to include their Dining Plan; cast member includes discount on hotel AND dining plan - free entry to the parks! Best deal ever!

The CPs do not receive their "free" entrance i.d.s until they complete the Traditions class. Some of the lucky ones get 2 - 3 days off and are able to enjoy the parks before reporting to work. Some report to work immediately (after completing Traditions). Some have a day or two before they are scheduled to attend Traditions. They do get days off, but not necessarily 'consecutively'; or even the same days each week. (Since our son's roommate had to work and he was off; he actually joined us for one final day in the parks before we left Orlando.)

Yes, it was like moving into the dorm, so it was nice to be able to meet the roommates! Even took a couple of them who did not have cars to lunch and included a Walmart run. Everyone was appreciative. They do have bus transportation for them, but this was faster and easier to transport a lot of purchases. (Each person has a small locker that can be locked - store a few breakfast bars in there for back-up, because with the possibility of up to 7 additional roommates . . . food seems to disappear! lol!)

In addition to merchandise and food discounts with their i.d.s, they can get a haircut at Magic Kingdom or at Contemporary Resort for around $10. They get half-price at Ci-Cis Pizza on certain nights; and a multitude of discounts around Orlando (10% & up). They should always ask!

The first purchase will be workshoes or boots. Each location has a different look, so you'll have to wait for additional info. There are coin-operated washer/dryers on site. Uniforms (costumes) are issued up to 5 at a time and can be returned to Disney for washing free of charge.

Prepare for a LOT of hard work and lonnnnng hours; but for the most memorable time of your lives! Yes, they get free entry to the parks everyday, but sometimes they are just too tired to go. Some of the parks (MK) has them working until 4 am (they are called 'closers'); but their 'crew' usually goes to breakfast before returning the dorm and that's when a car is especially valuable.

Again congratulations & good luck! Be prepared; they always want to extend!

Last edited by sonshineandsmiles; 10-15-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo
sonshineandsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

Oooh! I can't wait. Wish I were in college again so that I can participate in the program. Thanks for your good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshineandsmiles View Post
Congratulations!

We arrived three or four days prior to check-in and visited the parks as a family; and then scheduled a full week at the end of his work cycle.

Our son was able to arrange his end schedule as days off, so we could still use his discounts! Hotel discounts are INCLUDED! 40% off! Hotel availability is listed on the cast member's "hub" online. Once your new cast member makes that reservation for you online, "Mom" can then call ask questions (because we always have questions) :-)

We were able to reserve Disney Boardwalk Villa at almost half off. It is a comfortable walk to Epcot and the two days he did have to work; he walked us through the gates and then departed for work - easy!

ALSO, the park ticket "free entry" for family & friends is a Park Hopper Ticket! Normally, you must buy a Disney package w/tickets to include their Dining Plan; cast member includes discount on hotel AND dining plan - free entry to the parks! Best deal ever!

The CPs do not receive their "free" entrance i.d.s until they complete the Traditions class. Some of the lucky ones get 2 - 3 days off and are able to enjoy the parks before reporting to work. Some report to work immediately (after completing Traditions). Some have a day or two before they are scheduled to attend Traditions. They do get days off, but not necessarily 'consecutively'; or even the same days each week. (Since our son's roommate had to work and he was off; he actually joined us for one final day in the parks before we left Orlando.)

Yes, it was like moving into the dorm, so it was nice to be able to meet the roommates! Even took a couple of them who did not have cars to lunch and included a Walmart run. Everyone was appreciative. They do have bus transportation for them, but this was faster and easier to transport a lot of purchases. (Each person has a small locker that can be locked - store a few breakfast bars in there for back-up, because with the possibility of up to 7 additional roommates . . . food seems to disappear! lol!)

In addition to merchandise and food discounts with their i.d.s, they can get a haircut at Magic Kingdom or at Contemporary Resort for around $10. They get half-price at Ci-Cis Pizza on certain nights; and a multitude of discounts around Orlando (10% & up). They should always ask!

The first purchase will be workshoes or boots. Each location has a different look, so you'll have to wait for additional info. There are coin-operated washer/dryers on site. Uniforms (costumes) are issued up to 5 at a time and can be returned to Disney for washing free of charge.

Prepare for a LOT of hard work and lonnnnng hours; but for the most memorable time of your lives! Yes, they get free entry to the parks everyday, but sometimes they are just too tired to go. Some of the parks (MK) has them working until 4 am (they are called 'closers'); but their 'crew' usually goes to breakfast before returning the dorm and that's when a car is especially valuable.

Again congratulations & good luck! Be prepared; they always want to extend!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
sonshineandsmiles
Earning My Ears

Ditto!

PS: Confirmed: 50% off hotel if your son stays w/you; otherwise, 40% off hotel

Last edited by sonshineandsmiles; 10-18-2012 at 11:27 PM.
sonshineandsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: