Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #76
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

I knew about the trip! I feel so special LOL.

I'm going through post-Disney blues so it'll be a few days until I start my TR but I'll let you know asap! You did a great job keeping all of this a surprise. Especially with Candi trying to look up your reservation details! Can't wait to read about your trip.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #77
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
We have been in December before too and it is really nice. Just hard to afford trip, plus Christmas ;( I thought it was rather crowded too opposed to how I thought it would be... September is also nice because then when everyone else is going to the beach and things during the summer- you know your "after summer trip" is around the corner!
thats true, one bad thing about it...we have already started a vacation fund for next trip, $100 bucks already...

i do like your thinking about that, having a trip when everyone else is sad there vacations are over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I'm here!

I knew about the trip! I feel so special LOL.

I'm going through post-Disney blues so it'll be a few days until I start my TR but I'll let you know asap! You did a great job keeping all of this a surprise. Especially with Candi trying to look up your reservation details! Can't wait to read about your trip.
yep you were another one of hte special few.

thats why i started mine right away monday, no chance to get the blues...and we were all happy to be home, had a great trip, but nothing like getting back home again when being gone thta long.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #78
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
mustard, nice to see you here. it seems like the first year has flown by, but also like it has taken a long time, which i guess is a good thing, we sure have done alot with them this last year.

he has always been that way, going after the older ladies, must take after me.
Thank you! I know the girl's teenage years seem to be going very fast. The younger years leading up to "all day school" seemed to take forever! I'm glad that you all are getting out there and doing so much together

A ladies man learning from the master, aye?

Quote:
well i think the difference was like 350 for the length of the trip, minus what we paid OOP for the few table meals, it was closer to about 50 dollar difference, which sounds like a no brainer, and i almost pulled the trigger and did it.

but then i thought about the extra 9 sit down meals (if you take out the 3 we were doing no matter what) that it would add, and figured roughly 20-25 bucks in tips, and well that threw me off the upgrade for this trip. plus we were excited to try some different CS meal locations this trip we never had a chance to visit yet.
Great logic for sure, and you're right about the offerings of counter service that can easily get missed when you 'have' to use those table service credits.

Quote:
I ran into the same thing the last 6 months about the resort for candi, when she was having a bad day i wanted so bad to tell her, but knew the surprise would be worth it.

we loved going in december, you will have a blast then, we found the crowds lighter then than in the fall when we go.

i will check out the PreTR thanks for the heads up.
You're right, and we're now only 2 weeks out from the start of leaving clues, so I know I can hold out.

I know we'll have a blast - I'm hopeful that this will be our best trip yet!

Thank you very much for the helpful info you've given on my PTR, it makes all the difference hearing good info from the veterans here

Back to your PTR -

Nice job working Southwest's credid card/points system, very cool. We did something similar back in 2008 for our WDW trip by signing up for the United Airlines CC.

Sounds like the fam did a whole bunch of stuff over that six month span, nice shot from the zip line that you did not take. Awww, I miss being able to throw the girls in the pool like that. Of course when Parker is a teen he may want to throw you!

LOL, nice song by Parker in the car! Nice job ducking the bullet with Candi on that text snafu. And lucky break that you got home before her on the day the ME tags came in!

Can't wait to hear about the surprise and I agree with Parker, those sugar cookies stink.
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #79
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Quote:
they do take alot of work, but i like how it lengthens out my trip and makes the next one that much closer.

can you PM me what your daily schedule was, i am curious if we did cross paths some day and not even know it.

he is growing up so fast, but still has his little boy qualities that make you just want to hug the snot out of him.

it was hard not to tell him

TR's help the time between trips go much faster. by the time you finish the TR, you are ready to start really planning the next one.

we started out the first two years of our marriage, then switched to every 2 years, we would like to go more often, but it just sort of worked out that way the last 3 trips.

the off years let us take other week trips to other locations.

this sept. trip seemed to be the most crowded of the 3 sept trips we took.

we really enjoyed the early december trip we took, low crowds christmas stuff is up, and cooler weather 70's every day
we changed up our itinerary a little, but will pull out notebook this weekend and let you know where we were

I can tell you we were at Epcot on the 3rd for 2 hours around 11:30am

Then we were at MK around 2:30 and left at 4:30 to head back to resort for dinner

will let you know rest later
Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #80
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Hey Dan,

I'm all caught up! Looking forward to seeing how the surprise goes. It's fun to read about someone else's surprise for a change and not have to worry about keeping the secret!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #81
MiaBella05
DIS Veteran

joining in
Caribbean Beach - Oct. '08
Riverside - May '09

Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #82
FauntleroyFAN07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Thank you! I know the girl's teenage years seem to be going very fast. The younger years leading up to "all day school" seemed to take forever! I'm glad that you all are getting out there and doing so much together

A ladies man learning from the master, aye?
yep you really have to take it all in each day at a time.

of course, how do you think i married UP.
Quote:
Great logic for sure, and you're right about the offerings of counter service that can easily get missed when you 'have' to use those table service credits.
there were a few gems that we enjoyed this trip that we have never eaten at before and really liked.
will of course share them later.

Quote:

Thank you very much for the helpful info you've given on my PTR, it makes all the difference hearing good info from the veterans here
not a problem, thats what we are all here for to give advice and tips from our our travels to help you have more fun on the next trip than you previously have.

Quote:
Back to your PTR -

Nice job working Southwest's credid card/points system, very cool. We did something similar back in 2008 for our WDW trip by signing up for the United Airlines CC.

Sounds like the fam did a whole bunch of stuff over that six month span, nice shot from the zip line that you did not take. Awww, I miss being able to throw the girls in the pool like that. Of course when Parker is a teen he may want to throw you!

LOL, nice song by Parker in the car! Nice job ducking the bullet with Candi on that text snafu. And lucky break that you got home before her on the day the ME tags came in!

Can't wait to hear about the surprise and I agree with Parker, those sugar cookies stink.
i love working the system to our favor.

it is a catchy song, i find myself humming it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
we changed up our itinerary a little, but will pull out notebook this weekend and let you know where we were

I can tell you we were at Epcot on the 3rd for 2 hours around 11:30am

Then we were at MK around 2:30 and left at 4:30 to head back to resort for dinner

will let you know rest later
we were in the MK that day, but you will have to find out what happened to make us leave early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Hey Dan,

I'm all caught up! Looking forward to seeing how the surprise goes. It's fun to read about someone else's surprise for a change and not have to worry about keeping the secret!
thanks, have to see if i can get the video to show, it is about 6 minutes long, but need to try and cut it down and show the highlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBella05 View Post
joining in
glad you are joining in and reading with us.

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #83
FauntleroyFAN07

Chapter 3. Surprise the Kids and Wife

First off, was this trip perfect, not by a long shot, did we do everything we wanted, NOPE, did we make mistakes as parents absolutely...Did we have a great time and live to tell about it, you betcha...will we be going back and do it all again...absolutely.

And here is the start of everything that happened on this family adventure.

Chapter 3. Surprise the kids and wife

You now know the meat of the back story, so its time for the morning of.

I wish i could say it started out like any other morning but it didnt, because this was WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY MORNING!!!!

A few weeks prior I did have trouble sleeping because I was to excited to sleep and for the surprises, but this night i slept great.

Candi and I woke up at 5:45, we woke Noelle about 6:30 and she was dressed and roaring to go...

We woke up parker shortly after and got him dressed in his room, then told him we had a surprise for him.

We presented him with a treasure map (it consisted of a large picture that i took while standing on the kitchen counter and taking an overhead shot of our living room...i then proceded to imput treasure locations on the map where he would find his clues.

The treasure hunt was on. (i have all of this in a video, but it is over 6 minutes long, and cant figure out how to cut out sections of it, so you get the photo journey of this part.)

Noelle even helped out by finding a few with him.

Pretty soon the letters were all gathered out in a row and spelled out a word.

DISNEY

when candi asked him where the clues said we had to go next, he said I dont know.

So she had him grab a marker form his craft drawer, and she wrote DISNEY out really big on the back of his treasure map.

He still said he didnt know what it said, but we could tell he did.

Candi then told him, the map says we need to go to DISNEY.

at this point I would like to say there was lots of jumping around and screaming and joy, but nope, sort of anticlimatic.

We think he didnt believe us, like couldnt figure it out and was just totally shocked, because he then started to act really goofy.

He started out by looking at his map really close to his face, and pointing things out.

Slowly it started to become a reality to him, and it sank in...like i think they are telling the truth.

We told him how we were going...and he then started talking really fast going, airport, airplane, bus, disney world, and laughing.

So was it the jump up and down hang from the chandeliers that we thought we might witness...No but was he trilled and after it actually sank in, asking a million questions about it, and could not stop smiling yes.

NOW was the time to spring the surprise on the wife......

I had the magical express tags in my pocket so i started the tape rolling.

the audio is not that great since she is far away, but you should be able to still hear it and see her excitement...i love it when a little bit in, she starts to wiggle her feet with excitment she is so excited, and if you cant hear her, that is because she is also holding back tears.

that was just the reaction i was expecting from candi when i told her about it.

holding back those tears.

parker and her all excited, we had shown him pictures of the new hotel just because a few months earlier, and candi kept looking at the pictures of AoA just because she loved it so much. so he knew about the hotel existing.

So did candis surprise go off as i expected...YEP.

She smiled, cried, and was very excited.

We then ate a quick breakfast of a coffee crumb cake we got the night before at the grocery store, polished off the rest of the OJ (maybe mixed up as a mimosa) and my grandma was there to take us on the next leg of our journey.

There is a "greyhound" type bus that takes us from cities around our region to the airports...they have a good price for the service they offer and kids ride free. So that is what we did, we left our house at 7:50 with plenty of time to catch the 8:50 bus. we arrived well in advance at 8:20 and just sat in the car with my grandma and chatted till we saw the bus pull up.
Parker loved the bus ride, but wanted to know why we could just use our car and go to disney now....when we explained it would take two days to get there and this was alot faster he kind of understood.

candi and noelle are ready to get the trip started.

loving hugs and kisses are shared.

and then noelle does what she does best try and man handle and take parker down, by grabbing his head and pulling it through the seat to her seat...she was actually hurting him, she can be a bully if she wants to.

It made two other stops along the way and we arrived at the airport at 10:30 plenty of time till our 12:40 flight.

Waiting on the curb for the driver to unload all of our stuff was where i faced my challenge of super DAD.

Candi was pushing the stroller with noelle in it. and carrying her carry on bag. and rolling her carry on luggage

Parker was rolling his carry on bag...what did that leave me with.

parker bookbag with plane stuff in it, my bag with cameras and electronics in it.

and 4 rolling suitcases.

so i threw the two medium sized luggage on top of the two large ones, and put the bookbag on my back with the electronic bag over the shoulder and weaved my way past people and into the lines...there were even 2 guys who complimented me on being able to maneuver all that luggage how i did.

luckily our bag check was right there.

we then head to security where we are redirected to enter the wheelchair line off to the side (meaning bypass about 20 people deep security lines and head to the front of out line off to the side.)

we are through within minutes and heading to our gate.

we grab lunch at mcdonalds and wait for our plane while taking spins on the people mover to keep the kids entertained and baby tossing in the waiting area.

pretty soon we are boarding and ready to take off.

parker wanted me by the window so we switched, i think he was nervouse for the take off.

up in the air, noelle plays with her new toy from grandma and grandpa.

parker colors in his new activity book.

snacks and drinks are served.

noelle got antsy, so her and candi played zoom in on the picture of hte bunny that was by our front door to the house before we left, for about 30 minutes she loved it, and kept her entertained.

pretty soon we were on our decent in florida and saw something on fire as we were getting ready to bank toward Orlando.

until next time, i hope you guys enjoyed.

we are wheels down in FL, and ready to hit the ground running.

and we explore the resort.

Blessed by the Best
Old 10-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #85
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I remember your Hawaii trip and juggling all that luggage and it was just the three of you and no Noelle. You did awesome yet again with the juggling act.

Sometimes the surprise is anticlimatic after all the planning, but Parker sure looks excited on the bus before you hit the airport. And Candi looks surprised too.

Can't wait for the next update.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #86
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Sorry surprise was anti climatic, but kids are so hit and miss

Glad he was excited once he believe you guys and glad Candi was so excited

can't wait to hear all about the resort
Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #87
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

Can't wait for more.
ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 17 years
Dh,Me,Ds 18,Ds 17

Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #88
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

Count me in!!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #89
punkin413
feel the magic, dang it!

Yay!!!! So glad your surprises went off well.

My friend Anna (same Anna I referred to before) had the same anticlimatic response from her little guy when they surprised him with a Disney trip once. I think he was not quite 4 at the time. They waited until the night before they were leaving and told him they had a surprise for him. Then they sat him down in front of the computer and played videos of pirate stuff at Disney (they were going to the Pirate & Princess Party). They were like, "Do you know what that is???" He rolled his eyes and said, "Disney World." Then they told him they were going the next day. And he got really quiet and then said, "That's not a surprise!" I think in his head he was thinking a material thing. But of course once it was real and they got there, he was thrilled. You never know what to expect with kids!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #90
alwayspooh
Mouseketeer

What an exciting day! The surprises went off without a glitch, plane ride seemed pretty smooth which is good for you and Candi. I can't wait to hear all about the hotel and to see the pictures.
2001 - CSR (DD 1st trip)
2003 - PC W/MOM
2004 - CSR
2007 - ASMU (DD #2 first Disney vacation)
2008 - 1 DAY MAGIC KINGDOM FIX

Me DD12 DD7

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: